This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#74647 by EA PA
Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:47 am
In the mean time, dial tone, *99, then number seems to work with great reliability - may be a good workaround till the rollout of this solution...
#74688 by onoccasion
Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:33 pm
Bobby B wrote:2/8/2011: Ooma will be performing network upgrades at night over the next few weeks. You may see your device lose connection briefly, but it will automatically reconnect within a few minutes. If you lose Ooma service for more than 15 minutes, reboot your device or contact our customer care team.

I saw the above posted in the Ooma Status & Updates < Ooma Service Status topic by Ooma Moderator Bobby B. I hope this will address some of the connection problems that others and I have experienced. I only noticed it because I saw that the "last post" timestamp on the forum had gone backwards! When I opened the forum, I saw nothing new so I clicked on the Ooma Service Status topic and saw the above info posted there.

Maybe Ooma can do something to fix the timestamp on this Ooma Service Status topic so it will show a new time stamp when it gets updated! That would be helpful.

My wife and I reluctantly decided last night that we're going to keep our Telo and drop our landline. The decision would have been easier if we had been able to port our number and not have to notify 100+ family/friends/businesses of a new number. Break-even (without Premier!) is a 10 months for us, so I hope this will work for us and Ooma will still be around.

Coincidentally, I got an emailed survey link from Ooma last night about my installation experience, and one today asking if I would refer a friend. My installation experience was good, but I indicated that it is very unlikely I would refer a friend, primarily for two reasons: 1) Porting of numbers in my area is not available, and 2) Quality of service is not on par with landline or major VOIP carriers.

I hope Ooma is able to address the quality of service issue. I think that's the key thing that's holding back positive referrals. In my mind, they're already ahead of MagicJack in terms of function offered and not requiring a PC to be on. I also previously tried NetTalk TK6000 (now Duo) and returned that device within my 30-day money-back period; product/service were not as professional as Ooma, and service was far worse (frequently had to reboot the device and call quality was not as good - often like a bad cell phone call). When Ooma calls do connect correctly, I've found the voice quality to be very good.
#74691 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:50 pm
highq wrote:What do you mean that porting of your number is not available in your locality?
I was under the impression that Federal law gives everyone the absolute right to port his/her number.

Ooma may not have a carrier relationship in that area.
#74692 by onoccasion
Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:57 pm
highq wrote:What do you mean that porting of your number is not available in your locality?
I was under the impression that Federal law gives everyone the absolute right to port his/her number.

That was kind of the impression I had, too, especially since I was getting charged a number portability fee for a while on my landline phone bill to "reimburse the carrier for costs associated with providing number portability." Apparently, I had the wrong impression. Number porting was one of several features that attracted me to Ooma, since Google Voice doesn't offer it, nor did NetTalk. However, when I registered my Telo, there were no 518-853 numbers available (in fact, very few numbers available in my local calling area). I inquired of Ooma support about porting of my number, and they told me that it could not be ported now, and they thought it unlikely that it would be possible in the future either.

I'd like to understand this number porting better. Friends that go with Time-Warner VOIP service are able to get 518-853 numbers. Maybe it's legally possible to port any number, but only technically possible if the carrier you are porting to has termination service that supports the number?
#74693 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:39 pm
onoccasion wrote:Google Voice doesn't offer it

Saw that Google allows port in from wireless for $20. You can port your home number to a prepaid Tmobile ($10 min balance) and then port to GV.
viewtopic.php?t=10563

onoccasion wrote:I inquired of Ooma support about porting of my number, and they told me that it could not be ported now, and they thought it unlikely that it would be possible in the future either.

I think the restriction isn't with your landline company (they have to let your number port) but Ooma can't port it in because Ooma doesn't have presence in your rate center (this is my assumption; anyone want to confirm?).

Look up rate center info here: http://www.telcodata.us/search-area-cod ... nge-detail

Eidt: added rate center lookup url.
Last edited by lbmofo on Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#75000 by ptmuldoon
Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:00 pm
Is this officially still an issue for everyone?

I just ported over last night, and now am doing various testing, I am also having these same issues when attempting to call from my Ooma line to my Verizon Wireless Cell phones, and am located in the 716 area code.

The phone rings, but you never hear the voicemail pickup.

It appears the *99 did fix the issue. But calling the direct number, or 10-digit number both gave silence and no machine pickup.

This is with the ooma placed both before and after a router.

UPDATE;

After changing the upload QOS to 0 (disabled), its appears the voicemail picked up immediately for me when calling my cellphones. I'll continue to monitor this as well, as we most our friends have cell phones, and it will (or would) be a major issue if we can't leave a message with anyone.
#75062 by onoccasion
Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:01 pm
ptmuldoon wrote:Is this officially still an issue for everyone?

I just ported over last night, and now am doing various testing, I am also having these same issues when attempting to call from my Ooma line to my Verizon Wireless Cell phones, and am located in the 716 area code.

The phone rings, but you never hear the voicemail pickup.

It appears the *99 did fix the issue. But calling the direct number, or 10-digit number both gave silence and no machine pickup.

This is with the ooma placed both before and after a router.

UPDATE;

After changing the upload QOS to 0 (disabled), its appears the voicemail picked up immediately for me when calling my cellphones. I'll continue to monitor this as well, as we most our friends have cell phones, and it will (or would) be a major issue if we can't leave a message with anyone.

Last I checked, this was still an issue that dialing *99 resolved. I hadn't tried changing QoS to disabled because I have nothing connected to the HOME NETWORK port of the Telo so didn't think it would make any difference. I will try changing it to disabled and see if it makes a difference for me, too.

UPDATE: Disabling QoS had no effect. Original issue still exists.
Last edited by onoccasion on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.