This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#74181 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:06 pm
kbar wrote:What does dialing *99 do?

You enable high bandwidth codec G711 (3x higher bandwidth than normal iLBC) when sending fax by using dialing prefix *99. This dialing prefix works best with satellite receiver dial outs too.
#74260 by ntoy
Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:35 pm
thunderbird wrote:Starting today 0-02-2011, I now have to dial *99 to make most outbound calls. This is the first time I had to use the *99 work-aournd. :cry:

Hello thunderbird,

Does the call eventually connect if you wait long enough? 2 way audio? Please send me a personal message with some examples: timestamp, outbound number, symptom on both ends & I can further research.

Thx,
#74265 by EA PA
Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 pm
I think this is 2 different issues. I’ve been using OOMA for a few weeks now as well and am working through the bugs.

The first is call OB and the recipient does not hear for 5 seconds, then connects (should clarify that the recipient with this problem was always on a cell phone) - they may be hanging up because of the 5 sec delay (I would). Using the 10 digit option in preferences/system on My OOMA solved that. Another solution is dialing 7 digits for local call then hit #. Alternatively, *99 then the number works as well.

The second issue that I still have as of today is about 5 or 10% of the time, it rings a few times and then dead - either silent or some noise after the ringing stops. I cannot correlate it to an answering machine as I used OOMA to call my land line and the answering machine picked up. I’m in 570 Area Code in case techs are monitoring.

I think there are several issues here. I have not had any problems with the first issue above today - I think that one is solved. I’m slowly getting closer to the end of issues that I have so far but the second remains an irritant.

BTW - ran all the diagnostics - everything looks good with internet connection - Jitter ~ 3ms
#74328 by zten
Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:52 pm
I am getting this issue as well. Just started a couple days ago. I am really wondering about this device. Yes, I love the idea of no phone bill, but I can't take this grief in trade (my box died 6 weeks ago as well, had to wait 6 days for a replacement). I am in 847 area code. I see the ooma guy says some changes were made Tuesday, but it was till happening yesterday and today. It seems alot of people are seeing this and it seems widespread. We got 25inces of snaw yesterday, and made alot of phone calls. ooma definitely failed our stress test. Wife just called me and says its still happening today.

Can someone remind me what the return policy is? I bought my Telo last August. I wonder if the issue here is that once ooma gets your $240 bucks and you pay another $40 to transfer your number, each customer ends up being nothing but a liability. Why would they care now if I quit ooma? Maybe I am seeing the flaw with this business model (at least from the customer's perspective). There is not enough direct motivation to ensure ongoing quality.
#74331 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:52 pm
zten wrote:I wonder if the issue here is that once ooma gets your $240 bucks and you pay another $40 to transfer your number, each customer ends up being nothing but a liability. Why would they care now if I quit ooma? Maybe I am seeing the flaw with this business model (at least from the customer's perspective). There is not enough direct motivation to ensure ongoing quality.

Via their actions and policies, Ooma has demonstrated, over and over again, that it is an upright company. What you stated CAN'T be further from the truth as far as how Ooma rolls.
#74336 by EA PA
Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:37 pm
Have to agree with lbmofo. I have made several calls to OOMA support since they got my cash. They are answering the phone and immediately going through the standard troubleshooter flowchart as best as they can. I have never been ignored or put on endless hold and most of the time the issue was resolved.

In this particular case where some goofy issue occurs 10% of the time, beyond the quality of the connection that I have proved OK numerous times and standard setup stuff, I am not sure how to test the fine tuning solutions with OOMA on the phone. I can only test after by surrendering OOMA to wife for the real test drive and wait on the results. The best I can do is document the symptoms and eliminate as many variables as I can followed by another call to OOMA.

Sure there is some frustration and some time involved but I am willing to go through the exercise with the understanding of the inherent complexities of VOIP. I will try and work with them to get copper free simply to satisfy my quest of ultimate utility independence. As I see issues that I can post, I start a thread to share my challenges. I too have limits, however Ill give it a try for some time and work out the issues between OOMA and the forum. Should all else fail, Ill move on. But for now Ill keep nagging them for solutions.
#74337 by zten
Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:53 pm
I'm not suggesting they are not upright. I'm just suggesting the business model puts tremendously more focus on selling more boxes. The standard telco/cable company/cell phone company etc business model places nearly zero value on the initial sale, its all about keeping customers happy in the long haul as that is the stream of revenue. ooma's stream of revenue is only through selling more boxes, since there is a only a 30 day money back guarantee. if it was a 2 year money back guarantee, then maybe the motivation toward ongoing quality would be much stronger.

I will go home and monkey around with the box more tonight and see if a re-boot fixes the outgoing call issue.