This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#74035 by Ajja41
Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:59 am
I am also having problems of a similar type with calls being cut off after two rings.very aggravating. :x
I am in the 919 area. Last time I was asked to do a speed test and a Ping test. Jitter was too high! I have no idea what this is. Ooma support was trying to place the blame on my Cisco router(Which has worked great for me with my previous VOIP). Any thoughts on this? HELP!
#74099 by sputnik1951
Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:26 pm
Having the same issues here in the 830 area code on outbound calls. There is up to an 11 second delay from connection to when I can hear the person I called (they can hear us the entire time). Called Customer Support and they did the usual ooma.setup.com thing changing Quality of Service settings: upstream/downstream speeds based upon my speedtests and jitter. Specifically told them that I had the Ooma telo set up behind the router because of echo problems in the past when it was in front of the modem. Problem was escalated to level 2 supervisor and they now have me trying a temporary workaround until a solution is found to the problem (which they admit they and their customers are having). The temporary workaround is to dial *99 then the phone number. While it seems to solve most of the delay problems the people we are calling are now hearing echos of themselves while talking (not a good thing). Hopefully, Ooma can determine what the core issue/problem is and solve it near term.
#74102 by dpatonsr
Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:49 pm
Hi, I am in the 919 area code as well. We are having the same problem. It started about a week ago and has gotten worse to the point that most outbound calls are failing. I can hear the other end pick up but then there is silence except for something that sounds like line noise. My jitter is 25 ms. They say that it should be no more than 4.9 ms. I've sent in the info to support and let you know if their solutioni works. Thanks.
#74128 by kbar
Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:02 pm
I did the phone test listed above and the only problem listed was the Quality of Service. OOMA had me previously change the QOS. to 80% So, I'm not sure if that made it worse or not. HERE IS THE LATEST RESPONSE FROM OOMA (I sent in #'s dates & time of problem calls). They replied:

I definitely see that you have invested a lot of time and effort on this issue. I have already escalated your request to our higher technical team for further immediate investigation and resolution. Here is your ticket #: 110124-000022. This may serve as your reference with regard to your concern. Rest-assured you'll be receiving feedback from us either through email or callback once the issue is resolved. We appreciate your patience in this matter.
#74145 by womblebug
Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:54 am
I am having the same issue and about this close to throwing the Ooma in the trash. I had Vonage for years and never had an issue. Since switching about two months ago, I consistently cannot hear the other party during the first five to ten seconds of outgoing calls, which is unacceptable. For a while it was only 610 area calls to my parents, which we could all live with. Now that has resolved but instead it's 770 area calls, which is my local area code, which means I have trouble with doctor's offices, appointments, etc.

My jitter is 0.8ms, packet loss is 0.0%, MOS score is 4.1. The hub is between the modem and router. I have to believe this is a carrier issue or a server issue, and if Ooma won't acknowledge it, they certainly can't be making it a priority to fix it. This is no way to run a phone company. If it doesn't clear up shortly I'll be porting my number back to Vonage.
#74152 by ntoy
Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:41 am
womblebug wrote:I am having the same issue and about this close to throwing the Ooma in the trash. I had Vonage for years and never had an issue. Since switching about two months ago, I consistently cannot hear the other party during the first five to ten seconds of outgoing calls, which is unacceptable. For a while it was only 610 area calls to my parents, which we could all live with. Now that has resolved but instead it's 770 area calls, which is my local area code, which means I have trouble with doctor's offices, appointments, etc.

My jitter is 0.8ms, packet loss is 0.0%, MOS score is 4.1. The hub is between the modem and router. I have to believe this is a carrier issue or a server issue, and if Ooma won't acknowledge it, they certainly can't be making it a priority to fix it. This is no way to run a phone company. If it doesn't clear up shortly I'll be porting my number back to Vonage.

Hello,

Yes, this is an unfortunate issue we are running into, but engineering is working aggressively to resolve this problem. Have you tried (*99+number)? - This seemed to have worked for some.
#74172 by kbar
Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:40 pm
I have rebooted and I still have the same problem. What does dialing *99 do? I will try that to see if it helps. Will post my results later. P.S. I just called home 2x (from work) and received a message that my number had been disconnected. I called customer service, they checked, all was fine, I hit redial and it went though. I hope this isn't a new problem !! Ugh! :(

UPDATE: My sister, who lives 20 minutes away, called me and could not get through at all. I was able to call her later when my phone was working and she informed me that on her caller ID the numbers were both from Los Angeles (323-934-5824 & 323-930-5650) I am from Pennsylvania. I called her the 3rd time and dialed *99 first. It still took 30 - 45 seconds to ring, but she said my phone number showed up this time. OOMA only seems to be getting worse.
Last edited by kbar on Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.