This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#73445 by EA PA
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:24 am
New OOMA user. I have new OOMA connected btwn Linksys cable modem and router with PHONE RJ11 connected to house copper and street line disconnected. When I call out, sometimes if call rings too many times before they pick up, OOMA just goes back to dial tone.

Anyone else see this or have magic setup answer before I call Tech Suppport?
#73448 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:46 am
When you say street line disconnected, you mean your house wiring is physically disconnected from the telephone company at the NIB outside your house right?
#73450 by EA PA
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:52 am
Correct - isolated from Frontier. Im on cable modem only about 7 Meg / .5 meg - pretty solid connection
#73451 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:54 am
I've never called a number that just kept ringing so I don't know whether this behavior is the norm or not. I know that cell phones will just stop the ringing once you hit a certain number of rings.
#73452 by EA PA
Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:00 pm
Yea - LOL - wife ragging that it went back to dial tone while robo calling. We are doing test drive this weekend to shed frontier. She also has the internet pack issue with rapid fire bursts - ill test that tonight by disconnecting router.

I thought this ring limit was wierd so I thought Id ask.

I have also seen another issue similar to post. I call one particular cell phone and they answer, can hear fine but I cant hear them for 15 sec or so.. Another wierdo. Ill fool with it tonight to get my bitch list squared away

Thanks
#73454 by thunderbird
Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:22 pm
Something to try:
a. Access your Ooma Telo “home port” by plugging in a patch (network) cable from the Ooma Telo home port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the patch cable, so that a proper connection occurs. (In your case, skip to step b.)
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Network Settings” go to network connection: select the down arrow with your mouse and select “Automatic” (if not already set to Automatic).
e. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select Use Built in:
f. Select the “Update button”.
g. Do a “cold boot” of the Router. (Or Ooma Device if it is next in Line)
h. After the router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma device. (Or router if it is next In line)

The above process adds stability to you Ooma Device.
#73455 by EA PA
Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:27 pm
TBird - OK Ill try again, booted a few times already - Ill post result later on tonight.

Im not sure VIOP will ever be good enough for my bride...but Ill give it a go - tnx
#73456 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:35 pm
Come to think of it, I did come across one of them ring and ring numbers......425-378-3600
This time, I let it ring to see what happens. After 30+ rings, I get a faint gunshot sound then a busy signal vs a dialtone.
#73457 by EA PA
Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:46 pm
Ill take your word on that vs calling the white house and making an ass out of myself.... :D

I think the most plausible explanation is simply that a few calls were dropped before they answered the phone. They may have been netflixing at the time - who knows.

I was hoping that there was a "number of rings before hangup" secret squirrel setup somewhere - but I guess not.

Ill try Tbirds routine tonight and see if that helps. I get a feeling that this thing will get me 95% of the way there and Ill hear about the 5% forever...

OOPS sorry - looks legit....
Allegiance Telecom Inc
(425) 378-3600
#73459 by lbmofo
Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:00 pm
Btw, only because I saw the word robo calling, Ooma TOS prohibits telemarketing using Ooma.