This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#72739 by arveeno
Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:50 pm
I had tried setting up Ooma at my parents' house about a year ago. Struggled with it for two weekends, but never got it to a point where call quality was even satisfactory. I finally gave up.

A year later, at the same price, I bought another Ooma Telo for myself and thought I'd definitely make it work at my home. After all, I have Verizon FIOS at home with 30Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload. After a couple of weekends of struggling with it again, I think I've decided to give up and to never look back.

Problems (all have been mentioned by others in the Ooma forum):
1. Even with QoS setup, I still get choppy sound
2. HD?? Are you kidding me? HD ONLY when you and the person you're talking to are on a Ooma Telo handset?? Is this true? This is ridiculous.
3. Pure Voice?? Again, are you kidding me? Definitely sounds at or below the level of my Verizon phone service. Nothing special here. I even tried dialing *96 to disable pure voice. In fact, disabling pure voice makes it sound a bit better - no kidding try it. I did verify that with Pure Voice, the bandwidth used by Ooma is around 100Kbps and without is around 50Kbps.
4. So, my bandwidth is 30Mbps/20Mbps, Ooma needs 100Kbps ... and I get choppy sound? Seems like the problem is with the Ooma backend/servers.
5. When I call my wife (at home) from work, I hear DTMF sounds but my wife says she did not press any buttons. Although I can tolerate this, I don't want people calling my home to suffer through this. This is embarassing, annoying, and unacceptable. There are threads on this issue. DTMF sounds are produced by Ooma based on soundwave pattern recognition and happens more with female and high-pitch voices.

I invested and lot of time, hard work, and money trying to get this up and running, but Ooma left me very disappointed. I wish it would work, I really want to have (almost) free phone service. In fact, I would be willing to pay something to have dependable VOIP service - say $5 or $10 per month. Better than paying $35 dollars to Verizon.

Perhaps, Ooma should drop the "free" and "premier" plans and just have one level of service and provide all the features. Charge $5 + taxes (around $3.47) = $8.47/month and provide DEPENDABLE service that sounds and works flawlessly like my current Verizon phone line.

For now, the Telo is going back - they're going to stick me with the shipping charges.
#72740 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:00 pm
Take a look at this: viewtopic.php?t=10023
Towards the end, there are a couple of configurations that thunderbird suggested, try them out if the "mainstream" setup doesn't work for you (maybe due to your ISP modem/router combo).