This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#72737 by dnj
Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:24 pm
Hi - brand new user and I REALLY want this to work!! Have read most (all?) posts relating to buzz on the telo, which is our problem. Everything else is working great!! From what I've read it sounds like i have an A/C problem - low to louder quick cycling or "rolling" buzz/hum. I'm not in any way a "techie", but I've tried to do all of the stuff suggested that I'm able to understand. I've done the "fax mode" thing, disconnected the house line outside, plugged telo into an extension cord into a separate outlet (by itself), tried telo with a corded phone as well as 2 different wireless phones, tried phones directly into telo and also through house wiring. telo is between cable modem (motorola SB5105N) and router (G+MIMO, wireless). Did speedtest and we're good at 14.57 mbps down and 4.01 up.

Interesting note... I hear the same interference/buzz on my computer speakers. Tried unplugging various "parts" of my computer set-up (monitor, speakers)... to see if any made a difference. Then I listened to the computer speakers and unplugged the telo. The rolling interference stopped then (although I did hear a steady hum, like when speakers are turned up too loud). When I plugged the telo back in, AFTER it completely booted up the rolling interference was right back. Leads me to think it's a definite problem with the telo or telo's plug/transformer as others have said.

Anything I can do???? I am willing to return the telo and purchase a Hub, if need be. We don't need all the fancy features of the Telo, just bought it because it was available at a local Best Buy and would have had to order a Hub. Does the Hub have this buzzing problem at all?? We really want to make this work. I have 3 more weeks to "fiddle" with this before I have to return to Best Buy if it's not resolved. HELP??
#72738 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:29 pm
Are you in landline integration mode? Meaning you are using your own number (feeding existing service dialtone to your Ooma)?
#72743 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:17 pm
Just for testing, did you plug your computer directly into your modem and was “any” noise in your computer speakers present than? To verify this test make sure you can access the Internet with your computer plugged into the modem when you do this test.
#72745 by dnj
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:49 pm
Sorry, I'm really confused now - I unplugged telo and our router and just plugged cable modem directly into computer.... then had no internet (but still had the buzz on the computer speakers). When I move the speakers around the volume of the buzz changes - the buzz is VERY loud when the speaker is next to the telo unit - decreases when moved further away. I haven't noticed a difference in the volume of the buzz with the phones, though...
#72747 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:55 pm
dnj wrote:Sorry, I'm really confused now - I unplugged telo and our router and just plugged cable modem directly into computer.... then had no internet (but still had the buzz on the computer speakers). When I move the speakers around the volume of the buzz changes - the buzz is VERY loud when the speaker is next to the telo unit - decreases when moved further away. I haven't noticed a difference in the volume of the buzz with the phones, though...

As with the internet not working, everytime you plug something different into the cable modem, you need to power cycle the modem. As with speaker making louder buzz when closer to the Telo...your Telo is powered on or off?
#72752 by dnj
Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:06 pm
sorry - didn't know about the modem needing to cycle on/off.. as I said - I don't know much of anything about technology!! The telo was on at the time I was hearing the buzzing through the speakers. Louder, closer to telo, quieter the further away...
#72754 by dnj
Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:14 pm
If I unplug the telo, the noise on the speakers is gone. As the telo is powering up, as soon as the 3 lights at the top start blinking, the noise is back.

I unplugged and removed the speakers to see if they were the actual cause of noise, but the noise was still on the ooma phone when I did that.
#72755 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm
Have you tried different power outlet for the Telo (use different outlet than the computer, router)?
#72756 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:27 pm
With the Ooma Telo unplugged and unpowered, and the computer plugged into the Modem, and after restarting the Modem and than the computer, do you near the "noise" in the computer's speakers?

If you don't hear "noise" in your computer's speakers when your computer is connected dirctly to your modem, you Ooma device is probably defective.

You should probably take it back to where ever you purchased the Ooma device and exchange the Ooma device.

Or call customer service and get an exchange:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

If you hear "noise" when your computer is connected directly to your modem, with the Ooma device completly disconnected, your modem may be defective.