This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#72189 by tvogel
Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 pm
I am asking for help with my Ooma hub that is connected to a Motorola SBG901 modem/router wireless to my mac. I have been using the hub for about 1yr without any issues and about a month ago my ISP lost service for five days. When my service was restored, my Ooma signal light tab would switch from blue to red about every minute. My internet was also not work as well. It was an intermitten internet connection leaving my hub connected. As long as I don't have my hub connected,I have no issues with my internet. I called my ISP(Charter) and they sent out a technician that stated my internet was great and I have an issue with my Voip and contact them. Well, I did and Ooma service reps had me run a check using speedtest.net and pingtest.net. My speedtest showed: 25.21 mb/s Down, 1.03 mb/s Up, and my pingtest: 0% packet loss, 26ms ping, 11ms jitter. Ooma reps stated that my jitter was too high and needs to be under 5ms and need to call my ISP to adjust it. I just got off the phone with a supervisor from Charter and he told me they cannot adjust jitter and are only concerned if I have internet or not.

Is there anything else i can do or check to solve my issue? Would a DMZ make a difference? If so, how can I do it?

Help, please,

Tommy
#72204 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:59 am
tvogel:

When you did the speedtest.net tests, did you use your WiFi connection?
1. If you did the jitter readings might not be correct.
2. If you did use WiFi for the test, retest per the following:
3. Temporarily turn off your WiFi in you computer.
4. Connect a network cable from your computer’s network connection to the Home port on your Ooma device. (You may have to restart your computer to get a connection.)
5. Do the speedtest and ping tests again.
6. After that: Connect a network cable from your computer’s network connection to the Ethernet port on the Motorola SBG901 modem/router.
7. Do the speedtest and ping tests again.
8. Compare the two sets of reading.

Try This:
1. Reconnect your Ooma device.
2. Connect a network cable from your computer’s network connection to the Home port on your Ooma device. (You may have to restart your computer to get a connection.)
2. Open your browser and go to http://setup.ooma.com or http://172.27.35.1
3. Click on the Network tab, and change the "Modem port MAC address' to use it build-in MAC. Click update.
4. Do a cold boot of you Ooma device.

Good Luck.