This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75710 by epetru
Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:35 pm
marcaronson,

ifnyou setup the 3300 as I indicated, then I think something else is going on in your network. What exactly is your network topology? When runniung speedtest, what speeds are you getting?
#75712 by marcaronson408
Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:08 pm
epetru wrote:did you use this setup: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536#p75456

Looks like the full URL for that post is viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536#p75456

In short, yes, with a few tweaks:

1. I configured the OOMA HUB to use DHCP, not static IP, but I used the address reservation table in the router to lock it down to 192.168.0.199. I confirmed in the OOMA HUB's status page that it was geting this IP address.

2. I deleted all existing rules and created 1 rule for the OOMA hub. I tried this one rule two different ways: By LAN port number and by MAC address (the MAC address of the OOMA hub, as reported by "attached devices" & the address reservation table on the router.) I set this rule to "highest" priority.

A few more notes:

1. I did click the check box next to "Turn Internet Access QoS On". I tried it both with and without bandwidth control enabled -- it made no difference. WHen I turned on bandwidth control, I set it to 768kb.

2. I made sure that the OOMA hub was in the DMZ so that I did not have to open all of the various ports.

3. I'm not sure if it matters, but I made sure that the device name in the address reservation table matched the device name in the QOS table when I tried a QOS rule based on MAC address.

Heads up -- I notice that in that post you state "select your OOMA from the ADDRESS RESERVATION TABLE and at the bottom make the IP address anything you want, prefereably outside of the DHCP range". My recollection is that the Netgear routers will not allow you to select an address reservation that is outside the range of addresses allocated to the DHCP server, but maybe that has changed.

Thanks for your help -- any additional ideas appreciated!

Marc
#75734 by epetru
Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:02 am
marcaronson408 wrote:
epetru wrote:did you use this setup: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536#p75456

Looks like the full URL for that post is viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536#p75456

In short, yes, with a few tweaks:

1. I configured the OOMA HUB to use DHCP, not static IP, but I used the address reservation table in the router to lock it down to 192.168.0.199. I confirmed in the OOMA HUB's status page that it was geting this IP address.

2. I deleted all existing rules and created 1 rule for the OOMA hub. I tried this one rule two different ways: By LAN port number and by MAC address (the MAC address of the OOMA hub, as reported by "attached devices" & the address reservation table on the router.) I set this rule to "highest" priority.

A few more notes:

1. I did click the check box next to "Turn Internet Access QoS On". I tried it both with and without bandwidth control enabled -- it made no difference. WHen I turned on bandwidth control, I set it to 768kb.

2. I made sure that the OOMA hub was in the DMZ so that I did not have to open all of the various ports.

3. I'm not sure if it matters, but I made sure that the device name in the address reservation table matched the device name in the QOS table when I tried a QOS rule based on MAC address.

Heads up -- I notice that in that post you state "select your OOMA from the ADDRESS RESERVATION TABLE and at the bottom make the IP address anything you want, prefereably outside of the DHCP range". My recollection is that the Netgear routers will not allow you to select an address reservation that is outside the range of addresses allocated to the DHCP server, but maybe that has changed.

Thanks for your help -- any additional ideas appreciated!

Marc

You've done everything I did on my 3300... I don't remember how the 3300 did reservations off the bat, but on the 3400 you select the device you want to reserve and the IP field populates with the current DHCP IP address that is currently assigned. On the 3400 that field is EDITABLE... so you can change it to whatever you want. That may be unique to the 3400, I don't recall seeing that the last time on the 3300; but may have missed it.

There are 2 versions of the 3300 V1 is on fw 1.0.0.45 and V2 is on 1.0.0.26 - which Version and f/w do you have?

I have the V1 on f/w .45

V1 Version history:
WNDR3300 Firmware Version 1.0.45
WNDR3300 Firmware Version 1.0.29
WNDR3300 Firmware Version 1.0.27
WNDR3300 Firmware Version 1.0.26
WNDR3300 Firmware Version 1.0.23
WNDR3300 Firmware Version 1.0.14
#75784 by epetru
Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:39 pm
gail wrote:Hi Marc,

I just ran the speedtest.net test a handful of times while I played back voicemail messages from my ooma Core (which is connected to my router, as you know).
I did not experience any loss of voice quality, but my download speeds were affected (they went from an average of 35Mbps to @30Mbps ...still higher than before I installed my new router and modem, Before the new devices they averaged @ 23 Mbps.)
My upload speeds were not affected. (I believe they are capped at @1.8 Mbps, that is where they basically stayed.)

Gail

Gail,

do you have a version 1 or version 2 WNDR3700?
#75797 by gail
Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:25 pm
Hi epetru,

I have 3700 v1. ( 02R6). It originally had firmware V1.0.4.68. on it and I updated when 1.0.7.98 became available. The router has worked well for me from the start.
Gail
#75800 by marcaronson408
Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:45 pm
Answering several questions at once:

1. My WNDR3300 is V1. I upgraded it to 1.0.45 before running the test. (It was actually a birthday present from the Netgear engineering team and was one of the very first product run routers.)

2. My internet connect is cable and typically measures as 21mbps down; 4 mbps up. It gets an "A" rating on pingtest.net.

3. My network topology: I have a lot of devices, but here is the high level:
3.1 CableModen -> Router
3.2 Router has OOMA hub, 2 networked printers and a gigabit witch connected to it.
3.3 Gigabit switch has a desktop computer, DLINK NAS, Linux mythtv box, HD media player and another gigabit switch
3.4 Second gigabit switch has an LG DVD network DVD player and a PC running XBMC connected to it.

I run the speedtests from the desktop machine identified in 3.3. The problem occurs even when all the various media players are not in use.

Marc
#75812 by epetru
Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 am
You have almost the same configuration I have, including the gigabit switch to offload traffic from the router (which I found helped noticeably overall). If your ISP is using speedbooster technology, then you may not be getting a full 21/4. You can use this site to get a truer picture of your sustained speeds. http://speedtest.vudu.com/cdn1/

If I were in your shoes, I would put a call in to Ooma tech support; they can then hear the problems you describe while you are on the phone with them; and make adjustments on their side.

I did that once and it really helped a lot.
#75813 by epetru
Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:04 am
gail wrote:Hi epetru,

I have 3700 v1. ( 02R6). It originally had firmware V1.0.4.68. on it and I updated when 1.0.7.98 became available. The router has worked well for me from the start.
Gail

Identical to the 3700 I had... must have been a bad router that I got...
#75926 by marcaronson408
Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 am
epetru wrote:If your ISP is using speedbooster technology, then you may not be getting a full 21/4. You can use this site to get a truer picture of your sustained speeds. http://speedtest.vudu.com/cdn1

epetru, my ISP does use speeedbooster technology. I tried http://speedtest.vudu.com/cdn1 --- results are slower on the download, but upload remains similar:
Download Speed: 14276 kbps (14.3 Mbps)
Upload Speed: 4063 kbps (4.1 Mbps)

I will try calling OOMA support to see if they have any ideas.

Marc
#75935 by epetru
Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:45 am
Yeah, good idea, speed is definitely not your problem. I'm suspecting the cable modem or the Ooma box? They're the only thing that is after the phone and before the cable box outside your house that you haven't swapped out. And just to be clear, this ALWAYS happens when you run a speedtest. There is never a time that you run the speedtest and test the voice quality that the voice quality is good. Right?

So if that's the case, the problem is either at the Ooma service, the Ooma box or the cable modem.