This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#75664 by gail
Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:24 am
Hello everyone,

I am the owner of a ooma Core (purchased in the fall of 2010) and a very new Netgear 3700 router and I just wanted to say that they are working well together.

I purchased my router in January from Amazon. It is a v. 1 (issue... 02R6), and I have installed the latest firmware update (V1.0.7.98). I have had a good experience from the beginning, when I had placed the ooma before the router. I should mention, also, that I have a fast new Motorola docsis 3 modem using Comcast internet. Since I upgraded my modem and router I have experienced significantly and consistently improved download speeds.

This month I purchased and installed several HD home theater components, some of which are networked for internet radio and video downloading ( they are ethernet wired). Because my router has the capacity for advanced QoS I eventually decided to take advantage of that capability by placing my ooma Core behind the router. Before I did this I researched Netgear's 3700 forum and the ooma user discussions. In making the switch I relied heavily on the ooma thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5876. I adapted the advice on that thread to my own router's setup format. While following the thread, I reset (turned off) some of my ooma QoS settings ( I kept "Use Built-In" MAC address) , and I reserved a static address for the ooma within my Netgear settings so that I could continue to directly access the ooma setup pages. (Thank you "indie_dev" - it worked !). I then set the router to give highest priority to the Lan port where I have the ooma connected. (I did not try to shape bandwidth.) Lastly I added my networked audio receiver and Blu ray player to the QoS list, but gave them a lesser priority than my ooma ("High", not "Highest").

I realize that my router, and even my ooma, are new and that they may not have been fairly put to the test yet... but they have been stable and problem free thus far. I believe that Netgear has fixed some of the problems which plagued earlier 3700 firmware ...but I do appreciate from my readings that I seem to have one of the better 3700 hardware issues. At any rate, I wanted to post about my experience because it has been such a good one.

(P.S. I hope that I have not posted off topic by posting about an ooma Core. I posted because the topic seemed to discuss both the Telo and the Core in preceeding entries. I would be happy, however, to have my post relocated if it has breached forum rules or practice.)
Last edited by gail on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
#75668 by marcaronson408
Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:02 am
gail, I have also had good success with the WNDR3700, with the sole exception of QOS control. When I run a stress test (speedtest.net) concurrent with making a phone call, I have audio quality problems when wired as cable_modem->Router->OOMA_HUB. If I place the OOMA hub before the router, I do not have any QOS problems. I've read your post and the post you referenced about configuring the DLINK router, but I don't see anything different than what I already have, other than the port-forwarding trick, which is pretty cool.

Have you tried running speedtest.net while on a call?

Marc
#75669 by gail
Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 am
Hi Marc,

No, I have not tried that...mostly because I have not had any problems and therefore, have not had any reason to. But also because I did not know anything about that test, or its relevance to me. (I use speedtest.net all the time to test speed, but have had no reason to use it in any other way. Does your router set-up permit pings ? Not that I would know the significance of that with respect to your experience. Maybe there is no significance.)

I confess to knowing very little about networking. I am forced to rely totally on what others have written about their problems/set-ups. If I do start to develop problems I will just go back to having the ooma before the router, because that was working just fine. (When I finished setting up my new HD/audio equipment I started experimenting with relocating the router...I think that I was suddenly bored without a project underway !).

Other than your dropped data issue when you run the speedtest while you are on the ooma, do you have other problems when your ooma is set up through your router ?

Gail
Last edited by gail on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
#75676 by marcaronson408
Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:54 am
gail wrote: Other than your dropped data issue when you run the speedtest while you are on the ooma, do you have other problems when your ooma is set up through your router ?
Gail

Hi Gail, the problem I have when running speedtest.net is that the voice quality degrades if I am making an OOMA call at the same time. I have the same problem if I have my CrashPlan backup client configured to use more than 750kbs of bandwidth for doing backups to their servers. (CrashPlan is a cloud/internet based backup service where you can backup you data to their servers.)

If you don't mind running the experiment, I would be interested to know if you have call quality problems if making a phone call while running a speedtest.net run, thanks!

Marc
#75685 by gail
Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:50 pm
Hi Marc,

I just ran the speedtest.net test a handful of times while I played back voicemail messages from my ooma Core (which is connected to my router, as you know).
I did not experience any loss of voice quality, but my download speeds were affected (they went from an average of 35Mbps to @30Mbps ...still higher than before I installed my new router and modem, Before the new devices they averaged @ 23 Mbps.)
My upload speeds were not affected. (I believe they are capped at @1.8 Mbps, that is where they basically stayed.)

Gail
Last edited by gail on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#75686 by epetru
Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:58 pm
there are two versions of the 3700, a V1 and a V2. They have different firmware versions as well. V2 Latest Firmware Version 1.0.0.8

Out of curiousity, have you tried your WNDR3300 to see if the problems go away?
#75706 by marcaronson408
Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:32 pm
epetru wrote:there are two versions of the 3700, a V1 and a V2. They have different firmware versions as well. V2 Latest Firmware Version 1.0.0.8

My 3700 is V1 and is on the latest firmware -- V1.0.7.98NA

It took a while to set it up but I just set up my old 3300. Upgraded to latest firmware, reset to factory defaults and then reconfigured. Unfortunately, the QOS does not secure good voice quality when under load. I am not sure why this is, but my contact at Netgear has forwarded the information to the engineer that is responsible for the WNDR3700, so at this point I am going to wait until he has the time to get back to me. My part experience with the engineering team at Netgear has been very positive.
#75708 by epetru
Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:29 pm
marcaronson408 wrote:
epetru wrote:there are two versions of the 3700, a V1 and a V2. They have different firmware versions as well. V2 Latest Firmware Version 1.0.0.8

It took a while to set it up but I just set up my old 3300. Upgraded to latest firmware, reset to factory defaults and then reconfigured. Unfortunately, the QOS does not secure good voice quality when under load. I am not sure why this is, but my contact at Netgear has forwarded the information to the engineer that is responsible for the WNDR3700, so at this point I am going to wait until he has the time to get back to me. My part experience with the engineering team at Netgear has been very positive.

did you use this setup: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536#p75456
#75709 by epetru
Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:30 pm
marcaronson408 wrote:

did you use this setup: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10536#p75456