This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#73502 by murphy
Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:47 pm
If you are renting the modem from the cable company you can request a new one anytime (within reason) that you want. You didn't buy it. It's not yours. IMHO that is the only advantage to renting.

An Arris modem sounds like you have cable company phone service. Do you?

Personlly I buy my own modem so I can change it whenever I want. They do fail in strange ways. I'm on my third one. Number two would slow to a crawl when it got hot.

Packet loss should be zero. Anything else is unacceptable. Every lost packet will sound like corrupted audio because part of the audio was lost in transit.
#73647 by dray1
Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 pm
I haven't called the cable company yet about the modem, but I will tomorrow. First, I have a question. When I do my speedtests with speedtest.bendbroadband.com I get very consistent numbers each time (close to 8Mb download, and 1Mb upload). That is what I am supposed to be getting. But when I do tests from http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html my speed is always all over the place. Even right after doing the speedtest. So, my results from the voip one often will have poor jitter, some packet loss, and poor quality of service. Is it possible that since the voip test is from a server farther away it might not be very accurate and FALSELY causing the jitter, packet loss, and qos to be bad.
#73648 by lbmofo
Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:27 pm
WhichVoIP tests getting consistent bad jitter and consistent packet loss is a problem which a new/different modem will likely correct.
#73653 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:53 am
lbmofo is right. If you see packet loss, no matter what the distance is, packet loss is a problem. Probably the modem or Internet provider is your problem.
#73670 by dray1
Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:09 am
Now I am even more frustrated. I just got off the phone with the tech guy at my IP. First thing he said after I told him my problem was "I'm not surprised". He said it had to do with using voice over the internet and the info not getting prioritized (or something like that). He really didn't have any answers for me. He said the modem was working fine and it would be a waist of money for us to replace it (we apparently own it). He also did a test from his computer using with whichvoip site and he also got horrible numbers for his own computer which has super speed and is connected right at the site. It also showed his speeds to be way innaccurate. So besides that, my phone still cuts out (my side only). the calls are a little better when I connect directly to the modem. Not perfect, but better. Do you think a new router would help? I am willing to try anything at this point. If you do think a router would help, what one would you recommend (as inexpensive as possible). Also, I know it is recommended to have setup as modem>telo>router, but I don't have that option. The modem is in the garage and the router hooks into that so that I can have internet going to two wall sites in my house. The telo is hooked up to one of the wall sites in the house.
#73694 by nibes
Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:01 pm
You may want to check previous posts made by me and lbmofo concerning interference caused by cordless phones. I tried everything I could think of to fix my problem and it turned out to be the 5.8 ghz cordless phones I had. When I replaced them with DECT 6.0 phones, my stutter was about 99.9% gone.
#73700 by lbmofo
Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 pm
nibes wrote:You may want to check previous posts made by me and lbmofo concerning interference caused by cordless phones. I tried everything I could think of to fix my problem and it turned out to be the 5.8 ghz cordless phones I had. When I replaced them with DECT 6.0 phones, my stutter was about 99.9% gone.

nibes, dray1 is seemingly experiencing the same issue when using a corded phone...also when Ooma is connected directly to the modem. Hence I am thinking it is the modem and not the router.
#73715 by nibes
Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:27 pm
lbmofo
Your point is well made, except that I had trouble with my corded phone as well as the cordless sets. When I switched to the DECT 6, it fixed them all.

Too bad Ooma doesn't have more help, and more simple guidance. I guess there's too many variables.
Paul

Code: Select allnibes, dray1 is seemingly experiencing the same issue when using a corded phone...also when Ooma is connected directly to the modem. Hence I am thinking it is the modem and not the router.
#73815 by dray1
Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:01 pm
All is finally good!!!! I bought a new router, but that didn't help. I then bought a new modem. Finally, no stutter!! I tried it both with the new router and my old and they both worked. Sound might be a little clearer with the new, but the old works good enough for now. Since we are on a tight budget, I am returning the new router and in the future if something goes wrong, I will know it is our old router. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I spent way too much time and energy on this. I wish I wouldn't have changed the modem right away. Oh well, live and learn. thanks again.