This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#73411 by dray1
Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 pm
Thanks. i have seen that posting and hear is my latest stats. I have checked them multiple times throughout the day and the numbers keep changing for jitter, packet loss, speeds, qos, etc.
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 91.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 2.6 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 1.4 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1649888 bps
Upload speed: 1002552 bps
Download quality of service: 60 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 161 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 57 ms
Average round trip time to server: 60 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2560000bps
Route concurrency: 1.5516205
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 9197888bps
#73413 by dray1
Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:41 pm
i just did another test and here are the new, completely different, stats.
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.8 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2329816 bps
Upload speed: 1002776 bps
Download quality of service: 39 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 476 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 47 ms
Average round trip time to server: 76 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 12000000bps
Route concurrency: 5.1506214
Download TCP forced idle: 43 %
Maximum route speed: 11154888bps
#73414 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:15 pm
I am thinking ur modem is going bad.
#73427 by dray1
Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:03 am
Is there a way of checking the modem before just buying a new one. It is one that the cable company installed.
#73432 by murphy
Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:05 am
dray1 wrote:Is there a way of checking the modem before just buying a new one. It is one that the cable company installed.

If the cable company installed it and you are paying monthly rent on it, take it to the cable company service center and ask for a new one.
#73495 by dray1
Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:43 pm
The modem checked out fine. We are still having problems with stutter. It is driving me crazy!
#73497 by dray1
Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:41 pm
Maybe "stutter" is the wrong way to describe it. My husband thinks more like a flutter, or quick buzz. It happens with every call multiple times. The other person doesn't seem to hear it, but it does cut out what they say, so I miss a second or two.
#73498 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 pm
dray1:

Some Ideas:

From your description and test results, it sounds like you are not getting a consistent or a steady signal from your Internet provider.

Your Internet signal still has to go through your modem. So even though it was tested, it still might be defective or not setup correctly.

Is your modem’s firmware up to date?

Is there a way to reset your modem to factory defaults and start over?

What is you modem manufacture and model number?

Can you borrow someone else’s modem just for testing?

Call your Internet provider and tell them that your Internet signal seems to be surging.
Tell them that you intermittently have high jitter and loss packet rates.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#73499 by lbmofo
Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:05 pm
You are not supposed to have packet loss. Something is not right with your network setup. Just because you have Internet and surfing works doesn't mean ur modem is fine. What do u mean by the modem checks out?
#73500 by dray1
Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:29 pm
The modem was installed by the cable company. i can not remove it and try a different one. The modem is an ARRIS. There is no model# on it. when I was on the phone with my ISP tech, he did some sort of test and found nothing wrong with the modem. He also reset for me on his end (I have no control over it). When I do the speed checks through the local speedcheck site, my speed results are fairly consistant. He saw consistent speeds on his end too: close to 8 Megabits/s for download and close to 1Megabits for upload. When i do the tests through the national sites they are more inconsistant (he stated it was due to the disntance of the test sites. True, my jitter and packet loss results are inconsistent, he didn't have an answer for that since everything looked right from his end. I wonder if the jitter and packet loss results also are affected by the distance too? Is there anyway of checking to see if there is something wrong with the ooma device itself? I am at my wits end. Everyone here says it is my isp or modem, and they say it must be something else. I was ready to go out and buy a new router, but it happen even when set up directly to modem. Also happened with corded phone.