This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#72216 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:36 am
There shouldn’t be any packet loss. 18 is a question??

Do more troubleshooting per lbmofo’s link "Having voice quality issues with your Ooma?". (His Post and the link is right before your last post).
#72218 by ntoy
Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 am
beachboui wrote:When I'm on a call, often times, the incoming part of the call will occasionally stutter (a rapid stutter) for a second or two, and I lose that part of the conversation. It's as though, for a brief second, the Telo hangs. It kinda sounds like a CD or MP3 hanging on the same note for a second, only its very rapid and very brief. Then the call is clear again. But, this can happen several times in the same phone call.

Apparently, it only occurs with the incoming part of the call, because no one on the other end has ever mentioned it.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior with their Telo? Anyone know how to fix?

BB

Hello,

Does this happen when the caller calls either of your 2 numbers or just on one?
#72431 by nibes
Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:49 am
I have very bad problems with stutter and am about to throw my whole system in the trash and go back to AT&T. I have been able to get rid of most of the stutter using a corded phone, but all of my cordless phones have terrible stutter. They are a Panasonic 5.8 gig system. Is there a brand or freq that works better with Ooma? Is there a reason, when they are all plugged into the same home wiring, that corded quality is so much better than cordless, considering that there was no difference with traditional phone service?

I've been using Ooma about 3 months now, and about the only thing I can say for sure is that from one day to the next I'm never sure how well it will work. I did reconfigure my router for QOS which helps, but didn't solve the problem. It is possible that my issue is because my internet is a wireless broadband (I'm in the country where there is no other option - no DSL, no cable, only wireless, which transmits from a nearby mountain and gives me 2 mbps up and down). Of course if you talk to Ooma you get the standard reply "Ooma does not recognize (or recommend) using with wireless broadband) which I think really means that they don't understand what the issue is).

Anyway, any experience or recommendations are much appreciated!
#72434 by lbmofo
Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:58 am
If I were you, I'd retire the 5.8G phone first and get one of them DECT 6.0 phones (1.9G and doesn't interfere with anything). You can pick up 3 handset ones for ~40 bucks on sale.

Then, check out this thread to comb through things to check out: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#72440 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:13 pm
Look over the Panasonic KX-TG6544B DECT 6.0 PLUS Expandable Talking Digital Cordless with Answering System with 4 Handsets. Your can buy individual handsets to add to the system, but the individual handsets are expensive to purchase by themselves. Recently we purchased this wireless Dect 6.0 system when we were having Quality of Service issues with Ooma. We turned off the answering system part of the phone and use the Ooma answering system instead. So far, we like this system very much. Each handset has a brightly lit dial when a button is pressed. We like the large date and time indicators. Along with Ooma, the voice quality is exceptional. This system uses common replaceable rechargeable batteries in the handsets. Our best price was at Amazon.
#72479 by BackupBob
Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 pm
southsound wrote:
nn5i wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Kaplah: has said to use a Radio Shake Snap-on Ferrite

Did he really say Radio Shake?

In times past I had a transistor radio that had a loose connection in it. To make it work you had to sometimes bump or "shake" it. Of course he said Radio Shake! That's what I had to do. Also the case when playing Rock and Roll too loud (is that even possible?). You know, when you play loud music it makes the Radio Shake! Gosh, the 'gators are restless today! Must be the cold weather. :P

Check out http://www.WillItBlend.com. That is Will It Blend dot Com.

The professor has an industrial grade blender. He tests all sorts of things to see what happens if they are dropped into his blender. One time he dropped in a cell phone. That was definitely a "Radio Shake".
#72521 by nibes
Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:04 am
Hi lbmofo and thunderbird

Thanks for the advice. One question about the DECT 6.0 phones. I purchased one a few years ago based on the fact that they are supposed to have the least interference with home networks, but I found the one I bought had terrible range. I couldn't even use it in the back yard or upstairs, only 20 or 30 feet from the base. I returned it and bought a Panasonic 5.8 gig. The 5.8 gig works perfectly. Now - I'm only too happy to replace the 5.8 with a new DECT if it works..........Did I just have a bad unit, or is there something else that makes the DECT have more difficulty getting signals around the house and property?

Paul
#72525 by thunderbird
Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:36 pm
Paul:
I can only speak about the Panasonic DECT 6.0 PLUS phones that we recently bought. The range is so much better than the old 5.8G phones that we replaced. The Panasonic Dect 6.0 PLUS phones have very good range, and are loud and clear both upstairs and down. I haven't tried them outside yet because of the cold and snow in our part of the country.