This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#71580 by beachboui
Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:43 pm
When I'm on a call, often times, the incoming part of the call will occasionally stutter (a rapid stutter) for a second or two, and I lose that part of the conversation. It's as though, for a brief second, the Telo hangs. It kinda sounds like a CD or MP3 hanging on the same note for a second, only its very rapid and very brief. Then the call is clear again. But, this can happen several times in the same phone call.

Apparently, it only occurs with the incoming part of the call, because no one on the other end has ever mentioned it.

Is anyone else experiencing this behavior with their Telo? Anyone know how to fix?

BB
#71616 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:44 am
Kaplah: has said to use a Radio Shack Snap-on Ferrite Data-Line Filter part number 273-0105, snapped arround the phone wire that comes out of the Ooma device. I have installed this device and made serveral calls. All the calls seemed clearer and I didn't hear the phone key sound even once. But it's way soon to say it's a cure-all for strange phone sounds while using Ooma.

But it did seem to help, so maybe it would help with your problem.

Good luck.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
#71812 by Jerry_NA
Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:13 pm
Are you sure this is a hardware problem? Other people have mentioned that DTMF tones (phone "touch tone" sounds) can be triggered by the voice of a caller. (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8068#p56911) (DTMF basics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-tone_ ... _signaling) The way a Telo will send a 'touch tone' is to mute the line and re-create the tone at the other end instead of just passing it along as a sound. A person speaking at just the right pitch will appear to the Telo like a phone touch tone button being pushed. (I'm not sure if this is the same as your problem. I hope it helps.)
#71999 by nn5i
Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:16 am
thunderbird wrote:Kaplah: has said to use a Radio Shake Snap-on Ferrite

Did he really say Radio Shake?
#72023 by southsound
Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:53 pm
nn5i wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Kaplah: has said to use a Radio Shake Snap-on Ferrite

Did he really say Radio Shake?

In times past I had a transistor radio that had a loose connection in it. To make it work you had to sometimes bump or "shake" it. Of course he said Radio Shake! That's what I had to do. Also the case when playing Rock and Roll too loud (is that even possible?). You know, when you play loud music it makes the Radio Shake! Gosh, the 'gators are restless today! Must be the cold weather. :P
#72153 by beachboui
Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:31 pm
I guess I'm the only Telo user with this strange and unusual Telo stuttering problem??? Maybe I have a defective Telo. It happens (as described in the original post) on more than 70 percent of my calls. I fail to see how a snap-on ferrite would affect this condition. But, I won't completely discount it. And, I don't even know how touch tones even made it into the conversation... this isn't a tone issue.

Someone will be talking, and their word will hang in the middle of a sentence, like, "Now is the time for good men-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n-n... to come to the aid of their country..."
#72215 by beachboui
Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:11 am
thunderbird wrote:beachboui:

Sounds more like maybe you are not getting a consistent signal from your Internet provider?

From pingtest.net: Packet loss = 0, latency = 19ms, jitter = 2ms (consistently)

whichvoip.com showed jitter ranging from 0.6 to 1.0 over 5 tests, and one test showed 18. An anomaly?
Packet loss on whichvoip.com was never more than 0.5%.