This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#72669 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:12 pm
I'm pretty sure you're hearing DTMF tones, which may sound like a digital gunshot. You'll usually hear DTMF tones when there's DTMF talk-off or when a IVR echos back one or more DTMF tones when you choose a menu option.

With some development work, it may be possible to suppress these sounds altogether. I've opened up bug 10130 - if you're experiencing this problem, I'd suggest you open a case with Ooma Support and have them link it to this bug so that it can get the right priority.

asapReps wrote:re: "gunshot" sound sounds like a key press

The noise that we hear at the Ooma end is not a "touch tone" of any sort. It is really hard to describe, other than what I have already posted.
#74019 by bbares
Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:34 pm
I too am having this problem. It has been occurring for a month or two. It happens on just about every call, both incoming and outgoing. My ooma hub is downstream from the router and QOS is enabled on the router. I would be very interested in a resolution should one be found.
#74054 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 am
Information only:
Previously I had installed the Radio Shack Snap-on Ferrite Data-Line Filter part number 273-0105, snapped around the phone wire that comes out of the Ooma device phone port, to filter out “noise”.

With the filter is installed on our setup, DTMF tones are not heard on either end of the conversation.

Ooma had me remove the filter to do some testing. When the filter was removed, the DTMF tones returned.

When the filter was reinstalled, the DTMF tones are gone from our setup.

Shawn wrote:I want to report that the Radio Shack ferrite choke core filter did not work for me. My daughter indicated DTMF tone every time she spoke to my wife on our Ooma line. I have a much lower tone and she said I almost never trigger the DTMF tone. So I put the filter on the phone wire as close to the Telo unit as possible. My daughter called and spoke to my wife. After that, she indicated the DTMF tone was till there, if anything, it might have been a little more frequent than usual. Back to waiting for the bug fix.

In my case the filter probably de-tunes the audio circuits. In Shawn's case the filter probably tuned the audio circuits in the other directions. It probably would be just trial and error to find the correct value filter, to cancel the FTMF noise, for an individual user's setup.

Up to this time no one else has reported using the filter or any results.
#74062 by Bobby B
Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:15 am
FYI - bug 10130 was recently resolved (suppresses DTMF "pop" noises on the Hub), but hasn't been tested or deployed out to the field yet.

Bobby B wrote:With some development work, it may be possible to suppress these sounds altogether. I've opened up bug 10130 - if you're experiencing this problem, I'd suggest you open a case with Ooma Support and have them link it to this bug so that it can get the right priority.
#74879 by bluesgene
Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:23 pm
Let us know when fix is deployed. I've also been experiencing this bug for several months and would certainly like to see it resolved.

Bobby B wrote:FYI - bug 10130 was recently resolved (suppresses DTMF "pop" noises on the Hub), but hasn't been tested or deployed out to the field yet.
#78421 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:30 pm
I experienced this "gunshot" noise recently while calling Dish. 1-800-333-DISH.
Saying customer respresentative and then New customer will have the system forward your call to a CS rep. When this happens, "please hold while we xfer your call..." is followed by a couple of DTMF tones (heard using cell). With Ooma Hub, you'd hear "gunshot" noise. With Telo, the sound is closer to being DTMF sound.