This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#71437 by ntoy
Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:00 pm
Hello,

What type of internet service are you using? Are there other simultaneous sessions happening such as streaming when using Ooma? The upload speeds are below our minimum requirements.
#71445 by asapReps
Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:44 pm
re: What type of internet service are you using?

Comcast "Performance" cable internet plan (no other Comcast services). Using Cisco 2100 cable modem - Ooma hub is downstream from cable modem, wireless/wired router downstream from hub. You've already seen what type of download/upload values we typically get w/o Ooma calls.

re: Are there other simultaneous sessions happening such as streaming when using Ooma?

No, not most of the time, and not when we have heard the majority of noises.

re: The upload speeds are below our minimum requirements.

I am well aware of that, and there have been numerous attempts over the past year to adjust the QOS to values where the downloads/uploads are above the minimums, and that has caused Internet throughput to take a hit or has produced voice echo, and/or loss of other caller's voice.

re: Did you do a factory reset as suggested?

I did what was documented in the post, and the hub did not "respond" as I expected (tab blinked red and line 1 and 2, and play and fast forward buttons blinked red). I tried several times. I held the tab down for 30 sec or longer. It also appeared that the initialization only took 15 sec instead of 30. At 15 sec, the tab stopped blinking and then there were two static clicks from the speaker. Whether that was the completion of the initialization process, I have no idea.

With the tab and four buttons still blinking red, I left the hub and went to the computer (in an different room) to call "support" from my cell phone, and I decided to check setup.ooma.com. The Home page indicated Ooma Core: "registering, please wait" or something to that effect.

While on the phone with "support", I looked at the cordless phone and did not see the "no line" indication, so I pressed talk and got the Ooma dial tone. Then when I refreshed the setup web page, it showed the Core as "Connected". I went back to the hub, and looked good again (blue tab).

I was NOT a happy camper for about 15 minutes while going through the attempts to reset the hub. The procedures for resetting the hub are NOT sufficient!

re: gunshot noise

After doing the "reset", the MODEM Port MAC Address setting was again at automatic.

I made one call after resetting the hub... to the same toll free number with an automated system, where I have experienced the noise before, and within 15 sec of being connected, heard the noise.
#71447 by lbmofo
Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:12 pm
I'd try setting QoS to all 0 (disable) and attach your Ooma to your router and see. If all works fine, I'd leave it there for a while.

Then check out your speedtest results many times overtime to see if your modem or router is going belly up.

If all is fine with internet speed, then your Ooma must be bad.
#71655 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:42 pm
Something else to try.

Kaplah: has said to use a Radio Shack Snap-on Ferrite Data-Line Filter part number 273-0105, snapped arround the phone wire that comes out of the Ooma device. I have installed this device and made serveral calls. All the calls seemed clearer and I didn't hear the phone key sound even once. But it's way soon to say it's a cure-all for strange phone sounds while using Ooma.

But it did seem to help, so maybe it would be worth a try.

Good luck.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
#71661 by asapReps
Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:11 pm
I have been contacted by Ooma management. An Ooma product engineer is supposed to put a trace on the transcoder this evening that will do additional detection on our line that can be monitored at Ooma's end.

At this point I am not going to make any changes at my end. I don't want to change anything that might alter the syptoms. During an inbound call this morning there were 13 instances of the noise during the 37 minutes, some loud, some soft, and the others inbetween. One instance was a back-to-back occurrence within 2 sec of each other. For this call, the person at the other end claimed not to hear any of the noises.

I also confirmed yesterday that the noise occurs when using a corded phone connected to our scout in addition to the DECT 6 cordless phone connected to the hub (there had been suggestions in the past that the cordless phone was the issue).
#71716 by asapReps
Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:52 am
One of the numbers has been so consistent in getting the noise, that I decided to use a portable MP3 player that has recording capabilities to capture the noise, while using the speaker phone option of the DECT 6 phone. The noise occurred (8 sec into the recording) after I interrupted the automated voice system (at 6,7 sec) by pressing the "1" key on the phone Note that the noise ALSO happens when I say "one" instead of using the phone keypad.

Listen to the attached gunshot-noise.wav file (after unzip'ing it). This and the call logs were sent to Ooma and the engineer. Hopefully, they will be able to get to the bottom of it...
Attachments
will need to unzip to get to .wav file where noise occurred at 8 sec mark
(235.17 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
#71749 by sfhub
Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:17 pm
That's the noise you usually get when you get a burst of Internet traffic on your connection and Ooma cannot get all packets through in time.

To narrow down whether that is the problem, disconnect everything except your Ooma so there is guaranteed no traffic, then make a phone call. The problem also might not be on your end but I think packets are getting dropped or delayed somewhere.

If that doesn't have positive results, possibly packets are being dropped, lost, or delayed somewhere. Try doing the voip tests that measure jitter and packet loss.

It is certainly possible for something else to be causing that sound. Just saying I've heard it before and what in the case I debugged.

I didn't read your whole thread, just listened to the .wav file.
#72617 by Dakatak
Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:26 pm
I am having this exact same issue (unknown if the root cause is the same, but the symptoms are identical). I will be interested in seeing what comes of the engineer's research asapReps. Hopefully it will lead to a fix for more than one of us.
#72629 by Davesworld
Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:09 am
thunderbird wrote:Something else to try.

Kaplah: has said to use a Radio Shake Snap-on Ferrite Data-Line Filter part number 273-0105, snapped arround the phone wire that comes out of the Ooma device. I have installed this device and made serveral calls. All the calls seemed clearer and I didn't hear the phone key sound even once. But it's way soon to say it's a cure-all for strange phone sounds while using Ooma.

But it did seem to help, so maybe it would be worth a try.

Good luck.

It's definitely way too soon. It's highly unlikely that these problems including your DTMF talk off (false key press tones) are caused by EMI/RFI in that short analog cord between the Ooma and the phone. You would need to understand how DTMF works on VOIP and why DTMF talk off is not unheard of. If by some feat of sorcery you were able to filter out the tones in some human voices that trigger an out of band DTMF tone by employing a ferrite choke bead, you would also render some of your tones on your keypad inoperable as they are sent from the phone base to your ATA as in band analog but not to worry, that bead will not filter the tones. DTMF tones are by default generated out of band in VOIP and Cellular because the lossy codecs used cannot transmit them in band very well if at all. It is possible to use in band with VOIP but to do so, Ooma would have to set it up and you would have to use g.711 (Fax Mode with Ooma). The way the Cellular industry got around this is by having DTMF tones generated at a fixed length. This is also the reason why you do not hear tones when you push them while using cellular.

As far as the issue at hand, there is clearly a problem unrelated to the phone that was plugged into the Ooma. Using a Telo handset would totally take any second guessing out of the equation.
#72653 by sdb
Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:00 am
I am having the same problem. The noise is hard to describe but it is loud and short and also unpredictable. I had my hub replaced under warrenty in September and the problem started in November. I haven't tried experimenting with anything yet to resolve it myself since it was working with standard settings for a while and the problem suddenly started.

Have you gotten any resolution on this?