This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#70612 by oldtimercurt
Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:26 pm
Murphy, sorry never responded to your post. Old modem was Terayon felt a bit warm but not really bad.
I'm thinking the new modem has saved the day. I really don't want to go back to Ma Bell.

OTC
#70613 by oldtimercurt
Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:34 pm
Thunderbird, appreciate your input but I'm a bit obstinate. I prefer to use the Telo as intended. I'm not a fan of port forwarding and DMZ. I just feel I shouldn't have to "kludge" the system to make it work. I have tested with Modem-->Router-->Telo and wasn't happy with that. My D-Link 615 router has only On-Off for QOS no fine tuning capability. I'm hoping that the Telo's onboard QOS is superior to that. As I stated above, preliminary work with the new modem gives me hope.

OTC
#70747 by oldtimercurt
Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:20 pm
Here's an update.

Followed Thunderbird's suggestion for port forwarding and static IP. Already had fixed MAC address.

My wife had a successful call to Germany with acceptable quality plus another local call and I made a couple US long distance calls. Telo may be on borrowed time but at least its still in the house :D

Since the quality problems wiere experienced primarily by the called party, how does port forwarding help? I thought port forwarding was to help incoming data.

OTC
#70872 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:59 am
Simply put, round trip tickets (router ports open in both directions) are required. The ticket in the other direction is for data validation.
#70882 by oldtimercurt
Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:18 am
Thanks, Thunderbird. Does same rationale apply for DMZ?

Boy, this stuff is fascinating and frustrating. But I hope you all can teach an old dog some new tricks. :D

OTC
#70898 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:45 pm
No. (Note: this is a short and simplified explanation.) The DMZ is a place where a home’s LAN IP number (Assigned to a device like the Ooma device) can be placed and exposed to the outside (World Wide Webb), while still providing security for the home’s LAN. (There are other, but similar configurations for a DMZ which large companies use.)
#70966 by blbertram
Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:47 pm
Here's a procedure to change your QoS settings that I got from Ooma support. My problem was for non-long distances calls that I recieved but could not hear or the other party could not hear me. I am a comcast customer with fast internet service and my speed, etc tests are similar to yours.

Ooma Support:
This is classified as a call quality issue that can be fixed by the following steps:

- Please try to run jitter test at http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/
- Please take note of your jitter, packet loss, and MoS
- The results should always be close to 0 (zero).
- If the jitter rate is higher than 5ms, please contact your internet provider to lower the Jitter rate.

After running a jitter test;

- Please run a speedtest at http://www.speedtest.net/
- Take note of your upload speed.
- Then connect your PC directly to the "home port" of the Ooma Hub/Telo.
- Open a browser (ex. Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.) then type in 172.27.35.1 or setup.ooma.com
- Kindly click on "Advanced".
- Under the Quality of Service, change your upstream to 85% of the upload speed returned by your most recent speedtest and click on update.
- After setting the QoS (Quality of Service), turn off all your devices i.e., modem, Telo, router for at least 3 minutes.

After 3 minutes;

- Power up devices in a sequential order; modem first, then your router, last will be your Ooma device.
- Please wait until the device completely boots up before powering up the next device.
***End of Support Mesage

If you multiple your Mbps speed by 1024 and then by .85 (85%) you should have the number to use for the upload speed.
I also changed my download setting just to see if it would help my QoS. So far, I'm happy with results but I have only had a few days to test.
Last edited by blbertram on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
#70975 by murphy
Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:20 pm
If your Ooma device is after your router and nothing is connected to the home port, set both QOS values to 0. This disables the QOS program code in the Ooma box. With the Home port unused, there is nothing for it to prioritize so why waste time running the QOS code.
#91955 by markcm
Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:05 pm
oldtimercurt wrote:Murphy, sorry never responded to your post. Old modem was Terayon felt a bit warm but not really bad.
I'm thinking the new modem has saved the day. I really don't want to go back to Ma Bell.

OTC

I'm sorry for dropping in here but were you having issues with a Terayon modem? I am fighting an odd problem where calls from my telo have a loud ticking on the remote end when it is a cell phone and I happen to have a Terayon TJ715x modem; and the data light blinks at darn near the same rate as the ticking on the cell phone. There are no issue when called from a land line.