This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#69768 by cpcosmo
Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:24 pm
Greetings. I am new to Ooma and am experiencing a noticeable delay when talking with others. I have a Telo and a handset. I have the hub configured behind my Buffalo router running Tomato firmware. I have been experimenting with the router's QoS settings trying to reduce/eliminate the delay. I've read a number of posts here from others having the same problems and I've experimented with a few of the suggestions to no avail. I'm wondering if others running Tomato could share their QoS settings so I can confirm I haven't messed something up at the router.

If I still have a delay, does it make sense to place the hub between the cable modem and the router or can Tomato handle the traffic appropriately?

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by cpcosmo on Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#69772 by cpcosmo
Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:18 pm
...the experiments continue: I moved the hub between the router and the cable modem, and disabled QoS on the router. Same problem. I also adjusted the upstream QoS setting in the Ooma Setup to match what speedtest is telling me. Again, no improvement. Is the 1/2 - 3/4 sec delay just the way it goes with Ooma?
#69774 by DTMF
Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:23 pm
Delay can be caused by latency on your connection as delivered by your provider and there's no setting you can change on your router that will fix that. Are you sure that you don't just have high latency on your connection? You can see the latency on your connection by running the test at http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php
#69776 by Davesworld
Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:39 pm
Excessive delay is likely not in your gateway. You're already running a better firewall/router than the majority of Ooma users. Even some of those with the Ooma upstream of the router are experiencing a large delay lately. I really do doubt that any packet queuing that may be the culprit is on your end. Packet queuing is exactly what traffic shaping was designed to get rid of in the first place and we do not want packet queuing for RTP packets. No, you don't want your entire internet connection at the mercy of the Telo. That feature is really intended for single computer households that otherwise would have the modem connected to one pc and it's the only way to be able to use a Telo.

As long as your upstream QOS bandwidth setting is NOT set greater than your connection can really carry there should be no queuing in your router for traffic with high priority. Download QOS is difficult to control in your router unless your router is the slowest point in the chain. An example is a typical 3000/768 connection. The slow point in the download is upstream of your modem connection and you have no control over how your isp prioritizes traffic types upstream of your slower link to them. At least on upload which is usually the slow one anyway, your router is upstream of the slow link so you CAN control priority and prevent bulk traffic from saturating it while on a call. Many problems even in the download direction are caused by a saturated uplink regardless of your download speed. One of the very reasons why a cable internet connection puts you at the mercy of heavy file uploaders in your neighborhood is due to your whole shared connection being saturated on the uplink and this affects everyone on the download side as well. For voipers, sheer advertised bandwidth is of a much lower priority than things like latency, jitter, packet loss and so forth as well as it being YOUR bandwidth not being shared with 50 other households.

In Summary, the delay is not your fault. :)
#69779 by cpcosmo
Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Thanks, Dave and DTMF. I'll swap the hub back behind the router. I was relatively happy with what I had configured save for the delay issues. I did chat with TW cable tonight and they confirmed a signal issue from the street to my modem so maybe there's something that can be improved. For what it's worth, here's my current VoIP test results:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 56.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 2.8 %
Packet discards: 0.1 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 596136 bps
Upload speed: 279456 bps
Download quality of service: 26 %
Upload quality of service: 53 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 510 ms
Average download pause: 33 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 344 ms
Average round trip time to server: 364 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 34400000bps
Route concurrency: 57.704952
Download TCP forced idle: 95 %
Maximum route speed: 1524064bps
#69787 by murphy
Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:07 pm
Those are horrible numbers. Are you on a low cost "lite" service?
#69791 by cpcosmo
Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:38 pm
I'm not...it's standard TW Cable. I did chat with one of their CSRs tonight and they determined there's an issue with the signal from the street to my house. A technician comes out tomorrow. I'll let you know what I hear. Thanks.
#69844 by reem01
Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:54 pm
I would like to know if the technician did anything to mitigat this issue. I have had this issue since day 1 and had the Telo device before and after my DSL modem, currently sitting off my network switch. Ooma support was unable to resolve this issue after 2 seperate calls.

I have Qwest DSL (fiber) 12MB/5MB. here is my VoIP test results:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.8 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
-----
Download speed: 8928496 bps
Upload speed: 4791888 bps
Quality of service: 99 %
Maximum download pause: 28 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 57 ms
Average round trip time to server: 59 ms

Any assistance in trying to get rid of my delay would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
#69852 by cpcosmo
Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:35 pm
I had the tech out today and he found issues both at the street and where the line comes into the house....all physical connection issues. While I still experiencing the same delay as before, my VoIP test results have improved:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.5 ms
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5354664 bps
Upload speed: 491736 bps
Download quality of service: 69 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Maximum TCP delay: 123 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 82 ms
Average round trip time to server: 84 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 32800000bps
Route concurrency: 6.125501
Download TCP forced idle: 82 %
Maximum route speed: 6393656bps

Speedtest is reporting better download times (9.7 Mbps). Now if I could get the delay fixed, I'd be all set!