This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#69340 by blueOrbit
Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:38 am
I apologize if this has been addressed, I couldn't find any relative topics. This is kind of a strange issue and might not be directly related to QoS.

When I leave the office I set Ooma to forward all calls to my cell phone. The issue at hand is that incoming Ooma calls have a waver to them... almost as if the other person is talking to me through a fan or something. If I call them back from my cell, or they call my cell directly, no problem. I realize this could be an issue with my cell (BlackBerry 9700) or service (AT&T). However, considering that direct calls all sound fine I thought I'd post it in here to see if anybody has heard of this before and, more importantly, what the resolution was.

Thanks.
#69367 by lbmofo
Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:15 am
Are you still having issues with forwarded calls to your cell? What happens if you forward to another cell?
#69386 by irnaggie
Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:44 pm
for me, it's moderate to intolerable echo on the caller's side (i don't hear it on my side). occasionally accompanied by choppiness (which i inferred to be the same as "waver" in this original post).

I've tried multiple phones with the same results. If the caller hangs up and calls the cell directly call quality is always fine. it truly appears to be a function of the multi-call functionality.
#69446 by blueOrbit
Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:54 am
Well I only have one cell phone so... I suppose I could try to forward it to my land-line... that might be an interesting experiment. I wonder if it's some bizarre data compression incompatibility between Ooma and the cell carrier? I guess we would have to know more about how, exactly, call forwarding works. Does it go from the caller to my Ooma Telo then to my cell? Does it go from the caller to my cell directly? Does it go from the caller to Ooma servers then to my cell?

I also haven't gathered enough data to determine if there's a difference between "Multi-Ring", "Call forward all", and "Require key press before answering forwarded calls" option. Ironically, after posting that yesterday and then hitting the road for the weekend, the "waver" was pretty mild and I never had to ask anyone to call me back directly. I was using "Call forward all" and "key press" was off.