This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#69183 by jtabler
Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:36 pm
I've had my Ooma since July. I was super excited for the product. I had my wife settling down to deal with the half-second delays. Sometimes she would be irate.

Now I've got this delay on the call connection. Typical I can't hear them, they can hear me for the initial five seconds. It only happens on outbound calls. It happens to a variety of numbers. However, it's usually on subsequent calls to the number. I.e. our number one number gets a delay every time. A number I just started calling daily now gets the delay -- previously it didn't. On top of the call connection delay, the normal delay, the garbled conversation from time to time, the Ooma broke my Internet connection today!

I could make calls, but my Internet wasn't working. I plugged the cable modem directly into my router as the final solution. (every other reboot/config did nothing).

So, wife is ready to throw the Ooma out. I come to scour the forums for tech support. I don't want to spend hours tweaking my modem and firewall. I don't want to for the same reason I don't want to put Linux on an old school nintendo. I'd rather work on the stack of paperwork next to my computer or rake the leaves. I can't see every average Joe getting in and tweaking all these settings. How can the Ooma service survive if it relies on geeks with a tech background to get even subpar call quality? I'd never recommend an Ooma to anyone and that's where Ooma makes all its money - upfront costs and premium subs.
#69184 by DTMF
Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:06 pm
What you describe is the effect of latency on your cable connection. Do a web search for "voip test" check out one of the sites that will measure your connection and see what the latency on your connection is like at different times during the day. I bet it's substantial. I had to upgrade to the higher level of cable modem service at my provider to fix my latency problem. You might have to do that, too.