Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#68989 by MrTesla
Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:01 pm
Hi Gang....

I made the mistake of activating my OOMA Telo with my landline connected and have learned that was a STUPID thing to do.

Now...After screwing that up; and much help from you here-I have learned I need to disconnect the landline and get a freestanding # from OOMA til my landline number is ported over.

Question is...can I "reactivate and assign my own number" or do I have to have customer support do it?

I tried "reactivating" in the standalone mode...but it won't recognize my activation code.

I just want to get this operating in freestanding mode so I can make and receive call (in and out) on my OOMA and leave my land line connected to a separate phone. I do understand I will probably have to change to a dry loop to get the landline unbundled from my DSL. I need the land line for my alarm system and Dish receivers!

Thanks so much for helping a newb out!

Regards....Greg
#68992 by southsound
Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:14 pm
Customer service has to do it - but it just takes a few minutes. Call them at 888 711-6662 during business hours and they will take care of it in just a flash.
#68995 by MrTesla
Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:27 pm
Thanks Southsound....

So with a bundled DSL line...will I have to request a dry loop to have the number ported over to and then have a new number reassigned to my POTS that runs through my house except to my dedicated DSL port?

I have an interesting DSL setup. When they added my ATT DSL 6 years ago; they ran a "Home Run" dedicated line to a singular jack. Meaning; the modem can only be connected to that one wall jack and none of the other wall jacks will provide DSL; but they do not need "filters" for phones connected to them.

So; I am wondering if a "Home Run" is considered a "naked" DSL line?

I am a bit worried about the mechanics of the port; cause if you port over to a bundled DSL line I hear you will lose your internet service-I thought I read that somewhere.

Any who...I am probably making this more complicated than it is...I just want to get it set up right with ATT so that I have the DEL strict standalone for the OOMA and the landline to my Alarm and Dish Receivers.

Thanks so much for your advice SouthSound.....I have not stayed tech savvy and am paying the price!

Regards......Greg
#68997 by tommies
Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:52 pm
MrTesla wrote:Thanks Southsound....

So with a bundled DSL line...will I have to request a dry loop to have the number ported over to and then have a new number reassigned to my POTS that runs through my house except to my dedicated DSL port?

I have an interesting DSL setup. When they added my ATT DSL 6 years ago; they ran a "Home Run" dedicated line to a singular jack. Meaning; the modem can only be connected to that one wall jack and none of the other wall jacks will provide DSL; but they do not need "filters" for phones connected to them.

So; I am wondering if a "Home Run" is considered a "naked" DSL line?

Yes, you're correct on this
I am a bit worried about the mechanics of the port; cause if you port over to a bundled DSL line I hear you will lose your internet service-I thought I read that somewhere.

Any who...I am probably making this more complicated than it is...I just want to get it set up right with ATT so that I have the DEL strict standalone for the OOMA and the landline to my Alarm and Dish Receivers.

Thanks so much for your advice SouthSound.....I have not stayed tech savvy and am paying the price!

Regards......Greg

Yes, it's in your monthly statement. Any phone line(s) which is/are on the same statement with the porting number will be lost if the porting number is the primary account number. (i.e. account # == primary phone # + 4/5 more digits)

If you want to port your number to ooma and keep both POST(w/ a new number) & DSL services, you need to call ATT CS and tell them just that.
  • the number to be ported will be put on a dummy account
  • new phone number will be assign to your current land line (POST)

Make sure your next statement will be arrived with enough time for you to pay on time, especially if you have e-bill. They messed up mine last year, and I had to pay over the phone to avoid late fee charge.
#68999 by MrTesla
Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:14 pm
Thanks Tommies!

You have a wealth of Telecom info.....

I really appreciate the help!

Did that "Home Run" (on the DSL jack) make any sense? I tied plugging my modem into two other nearby jacks and NADA!

Not sure if that makes it "naked" or not.

Regards...Greg
#69037 by tommies
Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:06 pm
MrTesla wrote:
Did that "Home Run" (on the DSL jack) make any sense? I tied plugging my modem into two other nearby jacks and NADA!

Not sure if that makes it "naked" or not.

Regards...Greg

You have to look in your monthly bill. If the DSL has a separated acount/phone number which is different from your POST/land line number, it's naked. If your DSL and your land line share the same account/phone number, it's not.

A "home run" on the DSL line make it's more likely a naked DSL. However, any experienced technician can do the same on a bundle (DSL+POST) with a special DSL filter at the NIB.
#69041 by MrTesla
Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:24 pm
Tommies...

Thanks again...you are right on the filter at the box as I am getting dial tone at the jack.

Not sure what to do as there are no temp numbers available here in Aiken SC from OOMA.

I read your protocol is the "tops" for making the transition....But that assumes one is porting over to a temp number.

I have to straighten this out.....I called OOMA today and I got the same CSR three times who was of no help.

Maybe better luck on Monday.

Any ideas on your end?

Any way to get ATT to unbundle it; kill the landline and port the landline number to the Dryloop?

Thanks again...Regards....Greg in Aiken, SC
#69044 by highq
Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 pm
You don't "port over" to a number.
You port a number from one carrier, say AT&T, to another carrier, say Ooma.
You already have a number in your region. Why would you want a different one?

Ooma will give you a new number to use until the porting of yuour existing number is accomplished. You can keep that number after the port is done, or ditch it, but after all the changes, your friends and family will reach you with the same digits.
#69045 by MrTesla
Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:48 pm
highq...

You are absolutely right! Except that OOMA has no temporary numbers in my area code/exchange. So what am I to use until I port my current landline/DL bundled number to OOMA?

Just curious...

Thanks for the heads up..I am a total OOMA/VOIP noob and I had a hard time today with customer support today as I don't understand Indian accents very well.

Looks like I will have to port and leave my landline attached until the port date is set and I can get a dry loop and axe the landline?

Thanks for your input.....

BTW..landline integration SUCKS...none of the Caller ID/Call Waiting or anything works on the incoming calls..! South sound said it right "Friends don't let friends use landline integration"....LOL
#69051 by tommies
Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 am
Your options, unfortunately, are limited.

You need to do a little research on your local calling area. Is it the entire area code, or it only has some exchanges, and try to find an ooma number in those. Another approach is to find an ooma number in your area code--if any--and to see if it's a local number to your exchange. This is what I used to do in the 90s when searching for a local number for modem connection.

If the above fails, you have to wait and/or PM some of the Ooma Moderator on this forum for help. It's cost $$ for ooma to buy those number though.