Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#68732 by schnoz
Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:47 am
I recently got an Ooma Hub and set it up behind my router. Everything works fine. When I hook a phone up to the hub, I can receive calls and it shows the caller id correctly. What I really wanted to do was hook the hub up to my phone jack in the wall and energize the wall outlets around my house. I did that and it worked fine. I can now hook my phone up to the Ooma hub from a different room by connecting the phone directly to the wall. I can receive calls and talk just fine but the only thing that doesn't seem to be working anymore is the caller id. Now my phones just show "Incorrect Data" or something along those lines. Sometimes it doesn't even say that and just continues to say "Incoming Call" but with no identification.

Here is my setup again:

- Ooma Hub in family room hooked up behind router in the modem jack on back of hub. <-- when hooked directly to phone I get caller id

- Ooma Hub in family room phone jack on back of hub hooked up to wall jack on the wall.

- Base Phone hooked up to wall jack in kitchen. <-- phone gets dial tone and i can receive calls but no caller id is shown

Any idea what is going on here? Is there any way I can get the caller id functionality but with the hub still going to the wall jack? From what I read the scout only takes the voicemail functionality across the wall jack but it doesn't say anything about needed the scout to retain the caller id functionality. I do not have a scout but would also prefer to not get one if it is not needed.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
#68734 by hpepper
Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:09 am
Do you have Cable or DSL? If it is DSL, maybe the DSL is interfering with the phone line. If you are using DSL and you have a spare pair of wiring throughout your home, try a splitter to use the unused pair for the phones.

If you have a cable modem, is your home wiring disconnected from the phone company at the terminal box outside your home?
#68735 by schnoz
Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:25 am
hpepper wrote:If you have a cable modem, is your home wiring disconnected from the phone company at the terminal box outside your home?

I have cable modem and I did not check the terminal outside of my house? I will try this tonight if I can figure out which link I need to disconnect outside. I'll try to find a tutorial online.

I'll update tonight if this doesn't work. Thanks for the idea.
#68769 by ntoy
Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:36 pm
Hello,

Have you tried different phones, some maybe more sensitive to receiving signal. There could be signal loss as data is transmitted through the wiring in the walls.
#68800 by schnoz
Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:57 pm
hpepper wrote:If you have a cable modem, is your home wiring disconnected from the phone company at the terminal box outside your home?

This worked. Thank you!