Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#68430 by JJHiemenz
Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:18 am
Ooma Telo, connected behind a Cisco router.
Porting my phone number over, so will not be using with a landline (eventually!)
((and why does it take 3 weeks to port a number? I've ported in the past multiple times in 2-3 days))

If I disconnect the landline from all phone in the house and have Ooma Telo phone jack plugged into a wall jack, I get the Ooma dialtone on all phones and can make Ooma calls.

BUT - my phone number isn't ported yet, so this is useless to me, I need to be able to have my land line ring my phone, after all - that is the phone number I am porting, and it is the phone number that everyone that knows me will be calling.

So - I plug my landline into the Ooma wall jack. But calls to my landline number just ring and ring and ring for the caller while nothing happens at my end.

I need to mention I have a nice block where my phone line comes into the house. I can unplug all phone in the house by removing a single RJ11 plug. This allows me to plug the Telo into a wall jack elsewhere in the house to distribute the Ooma dialtone and services to any phone plugged into wall jacks in the house. I then have a seperate RJ11 cable I plug into the jack where the phone line comes in (yes - I connected to a phone to test it gave dialtone and could make/receive calls) and this is the cable I plug into the Telo wall jack.

I thought Ooma should work with this setup? It is a perfect match to Completed setup diagram Option B on page 2 of the quick setup guide. Though it appears the landline is useless and I'm simply paying for a month of landline service while I am waiting for the porting to happen. I'm not handing out my Ooma number, because I'm porting my phone number and don't want to confuse people with "well.. right now you should call me at #A, but in a few weeks you will have to call me again at my original #..". Serious?

What did I miss? The system is practically worthless to me while it sits around waiting (and waiting) for the number port to happen. If anyone missed it, I'm actually quite upset and frustrated over this turn of events. >sigh<

So let me ask the direct question - Isn't Ooma supposed to work as I have it connected? My understanding is that is should.
#68455 by lbmofo
Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:06 pm
While ur number is being ported, u can forward ur landline # to ur Ooma # so u can power ur whole house using Ooma. Outgoing callerid will show ur Ooma # before port though.
The only way to use the wall port of ooma is in landline integration mode (customer service will need to change the mode). In this mode, u feed ur landline to the wall port of Ooma and phone connected to the phone port of Ooma will dial out with ur landline callerid. Incoming and local calls will go thru ur landline and not the Internet.
#68562 by JJHiemenz
Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:21 am
lbmofo wrote:While ur number is being ported, u can forward ur landline # to ur Ooma # so u can power ur whole house using Ooma. Outgoing callerid will show ur Ooma # before port though.
The only way to use the wall port of ooma is in landline integration mode (customer service will need to change the mode). In this mode, u feed ur landline to the wall port of Ooma and phone connected to the phone port of Ooma will dial out with ur landline callerid. Incoming and local calls will go thru ur landline and not the Internet.

wonderful. Local telco charges for forwarding a phone number. Mainly because it is still active. I need to keep it active until porting is complete.

I am finding out that Ooma, while a wonderful idea, well.. lets just say the advertising and the box don't tell the entire story about hidden caveats and gotchas behind all the wunnerful features.

I guess I'm just stuck dealing with this until the number is ported. :cry: