Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#68272 by aspenboy
Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:12 am
We just bought a new house (just a mile down the street from our current place). We currently have U-verse (DSL + Digital voice + TV) in house #1. We have set up DSL but not uverse in the new house (house #2) and haven't moved in yet. We will probably be moving in 2 weeks. I would like to port the phone number from house #1 to the OOMA box in house #2. Should I start the port now? What do I need to do so that we do not lose internet connection in house #1 before we move but have the new phone number in house #2 by the time we move (or shortly thereafter)? We have activated OOMA so we have a number (just not one we will keep).

Is this a relatively easy port or will it cause problems with our internet connection in house #1. Since we are taking care of alot of stuff before we move, losing internet would be bad. Should I do this now or wait until we move?
#68290 by DTMF
Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:39 pm
Ooma will insist that you must separate the Internet service from the phone service before you port. When I did that with AT&T DSL, AT&T cancelled my Internet service 24 hours after the port was complete despite me having spent over an hour on the phone with their reps to prevent that from happening.

You might want to have a plan to sign up with a fallback Internet provider, such as prepaid wireless Internet (like Virgin Mobile Mifi or Rover) in case that happens to you.