Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#4635 by iimmie
Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:05 am
Hi I dont see anything listed for this type of installation. I originally had it hooked up through a land line dial tone but the day my # was ported over I lost my connection to ooma. I am using an ethernet splitter box from my cable modem. Right now I have 4 red lights on (Line 1 & 2 and the garbage can and Msg icon). Can someone get back to me so I can get this hooked up.
Thank you very much
Annie
#4636 by iimmie
Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:09 am
I forgot to say that I am using a cable modem, ethernet hub, and a Linksys54G router. The other equiptment I have running through the hub is working correctly.
#4637 by murphy
Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:38 am
Unless you are paying for more than one IP address from your cable company, there are only two ways to hook it up.

The preferred way:

[cable modem] -> ooma -> router -> hub (I bet it's really a switch)

The other way:

[cable modem] -> router -> ooma
......................................| -> hub

(ignore the red dots. It was the only way I could find to prevent the deletion of what were supposed to be leading spaces)

You must turn everything off while you are making the connections so the cable modem will forget what was last connected to it.

Note that in the second case you must temporarily connect a computer to the Home port of ooma to access it's configuration page.
#4640 by iimmie
Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:02 am
I am only paying for 1 IP address. The other hookup i have going is Vonage. I am on the yearly pay plan so I do not want to give up the service. I bought the ooma for my mothers phone which I wanted to run off of my IP address. Are you saying it is impossible to have both hooked up under 1 cable account?
#4643 by murphy
Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:35 am
No, I am currently doing exactly that. You implied that your hub (switch) was connected directly to the cable modem. There is no point to that configuration since the first device to connect will get the one available IP address and everything else will be blocked.

I am configured as follows and it all works just fine.

modem -> ooma -> router -> switch -> computers and Tivos
...........................................|-> Vonage adapter

The router is in ooma's DMZ and the Vonage adapter is in the router's DMZ.
I can call my ooma number from my Vonage number and the call quality is excellent.
#4644 by iimmie
Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:30 am
I just tried that hook up and now my vonage is down. What connections do you have between the router into your vonage system? I have the vonage running into the ethernet switch box and my router. I attached the Vonage hookup picture to show connections. I have the blue hooked into the ethernet switch and the yellow going into the router.
http://www.vonage.com/downloads/Vonage_ ... PORTAL.pdf
#4658 by murphy
Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:42 am
The blue cable goes to a LAN port on the router. The yellow (looks orange to me) jack is not used.

1. Connect cable modem to Modem port of ooma.
2. Connect Home port of ooma to WAN/Internet port of router.
3. Connect Blue port of Vonage adapter to a LAN port of router.
4. Connect Switch to another LAN port of router.
5. Connect computer(s) to LAN ports on the switch.
#4667 by cmikal
Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:53 am
This setup is currently working for me:
Cable connection (round 75 ohm cable tv connector) goes into into cable modem.
Ethernet/WAN port out of cable modem connects to WAN port on the Vonage box,
PC port on the Vonage box connects to the MODEM port on the Ooma Hub.
PHONE port on the Ooma hub is connected into my house telephone wiring.
HOME port on the Ooma hub is connected into my Linksys Router WAN port.
Linksys LAN ports connected to several PCs that I use.

In my case, all of this is physically located at the service entrance to my house in the basement. My Ooma hub, cable modem, and Vonage box are all physically next to each other at the service entrance. I rewired my home telephone wiring to put my Vonage number on the line 1 cable pair (this would be the red/green wires which is what a normal landline for a single phone number would use). My Ooma line is connected to the second wire pair (black/yellow). So, when my Vonage number rings it lights up line 1 on my 2-line phone. When my Ooma number rings, it lights up line 2 on my 2-line phone.

I don't currently use the Scout and once my Vonage number is ported over to Ooma, I will probably rewire my house to make use of the Scout. But for now, the above works for me.

Everything was pretty much plug and play with no special setup or IP configuration.

The only gotcha that I can think of is that you may need to power cycle everything (ie turn everything off then on, especially the cable modem). Adding or subtracting equipment from the network can cause problems with IP address assignment or MAC address recognition if you don't power cycle everything after making changes. When you power down, leave the power off for a minute or so before re-applying power.