Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#68017 by southsound
Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:54 am
Here is a great workaround if you don't need to port a existing number. Use Google Voice as a front end for both ooma devices. Calls will ring (based on your settings) to both - and if you have call presentation enabled in Google Voice, it will require a person answering to press the digit 1 to accept the call. If they don't, it will go to Google Voicemail. It can then notify you by email of the recorded call. You can also have it ring a cell phone for maximum flexibility. This does not require Google Voice Extensions for Premier - it is just basic what I call "naked" Google Voice. I've been using it as a front end for my ooma, cell, and other phones for over a year. Best of all, it is free.
#69081 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm
I recommended GV to a few folks. They are saying no more WA area codes? 206, 425, 360, 253, 509... I wonder if inviting via Google Voice account makes a difference?
#69083 by southsound
Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:36 pm
lbmofo wrote:I recommended GV to a few folks. They are saying no more WA area codes? 206, 425, 360, 253, 509... I wonder if inviting via Google Voice account makes a difference?

You are correct in that there are currently no numbers in those area codes. But this is a temporary situation and it doesn't seem to help if you have an invite. I have a GV account that I've been setting up for a cousin that was created with an invitation. I use it to check available codes because we still can't get one for him in zip code 99114. Today, none were available in the noted areas.

Recently I had an account I was setting up for a person in zip 98584 (360 area code) that went without numbers for about a month - then one day, about 50 showed up. Note that 98584 (Shelton) is a very small community but they had the numbers and I was able to complete his setup. A few days later, they were all gone. My advice is to check every day and eventually some will be available. If you live in a major city don't settle for an out of area number - changing it costs money and I believe you will get a local one if you are persistent.