Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#67969 by just4fn
Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:40 pm
My brother-in-law wants to buy the Ooma system and has DSL. I have comcast cable and it was very easy to set up. I know DSL has filters. I did not know what to tell him on what to expect. Will he need to remove the filters? Is setup any different from DSL or no DSL? Thanks!
#67985 by murphy
Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:18 am
just4fn wrote:My brother-in-law wants to buy the Ooma system and has DSL. I have comcast cable and it was very easy to set up. I know DSL has filters. I did not know what to tell him on what to expect. Will he need to remove the filters? Is setup any different from DSL or no DSL? Thanks!

It depends on whether or not he wants to back feed dial tone into his house wiring. If he is satisfied to connect a cordless phone system to the Ooma phone port or to just use Ooma handsets the installation is simple.
#67995 by southsound
Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:53 am
Also important to know as he activates his new system, the landline integration mode is almost never of value. Have him use a new ooma number and you avoid many problems. If he does want to feed ooma dialtone over the house, it is possible, just a little more complex. We can walk him (or you) through the steps if that's what he wants.
#68825 by quack17
Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:45 am
I'm an OOMA newbie.... got it up & running, but have a question before porting. Have DSL & 3 landlines all with AT&T. No longer need the 3 landlines, so very excited to have OOMA & give landlines the boot. Attached is a pic of the phone box. I assume the top connection is DSL & the 3 lower jacks are the landlines. Once ported I should be able to disconnect the 3 jacks & then have use of the inside wall jacks.... correct ? Thanks for the great service you provide to this forum.
Attachments
Phone box (Small).JPG
Phone box (Small).JPG (41.62 KiB) Viewed 3689 times
#68827 by kieranmullen
Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:55 am
AFAIK You do not need to do that. You should be able to plug the wall port of the ooma into any other wall port in the house. Messing around with the box is too much bother. however you are correct in yoru assumptions. You should also be able to plug a regular phone into those jacks and get dialtone if you stil have it.

Do you have a core or a telo? The cores have optional scouts as well.

Thank you
#68832 by southsound
Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:07 am
kieranmullen wrote:AFAIK You do not need to do that. You should be able to plug the wall port of the ooma into any other wall port in the house. Messing around with the box is too much bother. however you are correct in yoru assumptions. You should also be able to plug a regular phone into those jacks and get dialtone if you stil have it.

Bad advice here.

First off, if you want to avoid problems now and in the future, you must disconnect any pairs you intend to use to distribute ooma dialtone throughout the house. It can be as simple as just unplugging the correct little modular cable inside your NIB but it gets a little more involved if you are going to keep your DSL.

Second, it looks like you have two lines that only appear on some outlets. Best to do a room by room assessment of what is connected to your wall plates - and also what you want at each jack. If you are going to keep the DSL you will want to keep it on a separate pair of wires to prevent problems. We can help you easily accomplish what you want to do but it will take more information.
#68834 by kieranmullen
Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:21 am
Why is it bad advice?

Why disconnect? I have a free outgoing phone line from verizon for years when the number was ported away and I was not billed for it. I did nothing to my outside wiring or my phone. Just left it in and it still had dialtone.
Last edited by kieranmullen on Thu May 12, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#68837 by southsound
Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:26 am
kieranmullen wrote:Why is it back (sp) advice?

Why disconnect? I have a free outgoing phone line from verizon for years when the number was ported away and I was not billed for it.

Previously, southsound to kieranmullen wrote:There are only a few people I won't bother responding to on this forum. Congratulations - you have just joined that small but charming group.

My post was for Quack17. A simple search of the forum or any VoIP installation site will confirm my advice. Also, people of integrity do not steal goods or services they do not pay for.

@Quack17, sorry you received bad advice on your first post on the forum. Most of the contributors don't reply unless they have knowledge of a topic.
#68838 by kieranmullen
Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:32 am
Regardless you still have not explained why.

Secondly it is not stealing. It is not a cable descrambler box it is service that is simply left on. If newspaper is dropped off at your house for six months without you asking for it and you picked it off your driveway and read it, then the newspaper company calls you up says it was an accident and expects paymnt anyway, would you pay for it?

southsound wrote:
kieranmullen wrote:Why is it back (sp) advice?

Why disconnect? I have a free outgoing phone line from verizon for years when the number was ported away and I was not billed for it.

Previously, southsound to kieranmullen wrote:There are only a few people I won't bother responding to on this forum. Congratulations - you have just joined that small but charming group.

My post was for Quack17. A simple search of the forum or any VoIP installation site will confirm my advice. Also, people of integrity do not steal goods or services they do not pay for.

@Quack17, sorry you received bad advice on your first post on the forum. Most of the contributors don't reply unless they have knowledge of a topic.
#68840 by quack17
Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:08 pm
Thx southsound... you are correct about the 2 line connections. The first 2 lines in box (after DSL) are available to every jack in the house except one which is for the 3rd line which we use for a dedicated fax line. We will be keeping our DSL as it's our only option for hi-speed internet. Any input to faciltate OOMA & the house jacks will be most appreciated.

thx again for your service to this forum..... Q17