Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#67735 by nabril
Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:51 am
hello all
I am about to move to a new home, where I want to drop the foresaken ATT home service. I want to have them for DSL and Ooma for voice with my existing number.

I currently have basic home line and DSL.
What is the cleanest, smartest, and cheapest way for me to accomplish what I want?
I imagine that I need to move everything, port the number, and then drop the home service leaving a dry DSL line (or direct).

Is this correct?
Any better way based on your experiences?

Thank you
#67749 by southsound
Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:02 pm
When you put in the order for the transfer, have them set up your voice line on line 1 and your DSL on line 2 with a separate billing number. Then, after you have moved, you can port the number to ooma without a problem. Also, as soon as it does port, you can disconnect line 1 from the NIB (telco interface) and power all the jacks in your home with your ooma using the PHONE port.
#67778 by nabril
Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:48 pm
thank you for quick and useful reply.

How do you I power all jacks in home with Ooma? I has a port in the back called PHONE, and it gets connected to any wall jack?
How do I identify line 1 on the NIB?

Now to look for deals on the Telo. Best Buy is too expensive (for everything...).
#67782 by southsound
Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:12 pm
nabril wrote:thank you for quick and useful reply.

How do you I power all jacks in home with Ooma? I has a port in the back called PHONE, and it gets connected to any wall jack? Your Telo will provide a signal at the PHONE jack that is just like the utility company's dialtone - except that it is free (excluding taxes and fees). You can either use this output to power a cordless base, or do like many of us, plug a cable from it to your home's wall jack (after the utility is out of the picture) and power your entire home. I have several corded phones in the house, a cordless base in the barn, and a multi-handset Uniden DECT 6.0 cordless base in the house. All running nicely from my Telo PHONE jack.

How do I identify line 1 on the NIB? There will either be several short cords with modular plugs or a couple of swing-away plugs in the box. The top one is generally for line 1, the next is for line 2. Most modern homes are wired for 2 lines with the blue/white pair supplying line 1 and the orange/white pair supplying line 2. You want the DSL to be on line 2 so you can disconnect line 1 and use it for your whole-house wiring.

Now to look for deals on the Telo. Best Buy is too expensive (for everything...). Right now it is $199.99 at Amazon.com.
#95177 by nabril
Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:37 am
southsound

sorry to revisit this post. but I think it's time to do this. Office max has it for 159 with coupon, minus the $50 from ooma. I cant beat that.

However, I did not follow your recommendations when I moved in (as you posted above). ATT came in, did their thing, and that was it.
So, once I get the ooma and I activate with their number, I will ask to port, right? Once the port is complete, I have ATT disconnect my phone line and convert me to standalone dsl. COrrect?
My dect6 phones are all wireless, so once ooma is stalled, I will just connect the base controller to to the ooma box.

Then, to figure out if the ooma goes before or after the router; I've seen a billion posts about that.