Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#51123 by AgThorn
Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:47 am
Interesting read ... I too am on a path to fire my phone company, and that is ATT uverse ...

However, I have two lines, so my questions go a bit deeper. i.e.
How does one use 2 line phone equipment on OOMA?

I know I can purchase all new wireless Ooma handsets, OR use single line non-Ooma phones, but I see nothing about using 2 line equipment (non-Ooma) on the Ooma Premier service.

That being said, I have two phone numbers to cut over from uverse, and I have verified with Ooma that 2 line numbers will work with Ooma, one being a free cut over (premier service) and the other being a fee.

My remaining question though is how to work with my existing four wire phones (two separate lines) throughout my house, or if I can at all.
#51124 by murphy
Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:00 am
AgThorn wrote:Interesting read ... I too am on a path to fire my phone company, and that is ATT uverse ...

However, I have two lines, so my questions go a bit deeper. i.e.
How does one use 2 line phone equipment on OOMA?

I know I can purchase all new wireless Ooma handsets, OR use single line non-Ooma phones, but I see nothing about using 2 line equipment (non-Ooma) on the Ooma Premier service.

That being said, I have two phone numbers to cut over from uverse, and I have verified with Ooma that 2 line numbers will work with Ooma, one being a free cut over (premier service) and the other being a fee.

My remaining question though is how to work with my existing four wire phones (two separate lines) throughout my house, or if I can at all.

It can't be done with the Telo. A personalized line can only be on a Telo handset.

It can be done with the older Hub and scout version. I have the hub and scout driving my two line telephones.
#51125 by coldsteel
Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:35 am
I 'fired' AT&T 3 months ago - feels great. I paid my last phone bill with EXACTLY ONE CENT more than I owed them so now they send me a statement every month showing amount due $0.00 and a CREDIT OF ONE CENT. I had done this accidentally 4 or 5 years ago when I dropped their cell phone service and it took several calls to get them to finally stop sending me the notices - this time I figured its their nickel so if they want to spend 0.44 cents a month telling me I have a credit then why should I care:-)
#51128 by AgThorn
Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:19 am
murphy wrote:It can't be done with the Telo. A personalized line can only be on a Telo handset.

It can be done with the older Hub and scout version. I have the hub and scout driving my two line telephones.

Dang it ... that is why I went out of my way to call them first and get very specific as to what I wanted to do.

I need two personalized lines! So, now I may have to return the Telo and get a Hub. Is there any way at all to have my two lines have two separate answering messages on the Telo? That and I need to know when I answer what number they are calling .. nothing real rocket science here, just a personal phone number and a home business number ... why is this so difficult to talk to the folks at OOMA at. If they can't, they should just say so!! Now I own equipment that won't do what they implied it would. Looks like I may need to just get a separate 'hub' for my second line .. probably used. dang.

I am getting frustrating a bit in trying to talk to the phone support, at least a few of them. They don't know many answers and just go into a 'chapter and verse' read-athon, and they don't seem to have any point of escalation either.
#51129 by murphy
Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:32 am
AgThorn wrote:
murphy wrote:It can't be done with the Telo. A personalized line can only be on a Telo handset.

Dang it ... that is why I went out of my way to call them first and get very specific as to what I wanted to do.

I need two personalized lines! So, now I may have to return the Telo and get a Hub. Is there any way at all to have my two lines have two separate answering messages on the Telo? That and I need to know when I answer what number they are calling .. nothing real rocket science here, just a personal phone number and a home business number ... why is this so difficult to talk to the folks at OOMA at. If they can't, they should just say so!! Now I own equipment that won't do what they implied it would. Looks like I may need to just get a separate 'hub' for my second line .. probably used. dang.

I am getting frustrating a bit in trying to talk to the phone support, at least a few of them. They don't know many answers and just go into a 'chapter and verse' read-athon, and they don't seem to have any point of escalation either.

The only way to have the two numbers have their own answering messages is to set up a handset as a personal device and assign the second number to the personal device. Once that is done, you can configure the voice mail for the second number and can log into my.ooma.com using the second number to see it's call log, voice mail, etc.

If you leave both numbers shared they will both ring on all phones, You can force the caller ID of the second number by preceding the call with **1. The caller ID of the second number will default to your name. If you want something else it requires manual intervention by CS and may cost about $12.

You must have Premier for any of this to work.
#51136 by AgThorn
Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:40 am
murphy wrote:The only way to have the two numbers have their own answering messages is to set up a handset as a personal device and assign the second number to the personal device. Once that is done, you can configure the voice mail for the second number and can log into my.ooma.com using the second number to see it's call log, voice mail, etc.

If you leave both numbers shared they will both ring on all phones, You can force the caller ID of the second number by preceding the call with **1. The caller ID of the second number will default to your name. If you want something else it requires manual intervention by CS and may cost about $12.

I just got this part all figured out, which matches the above. I guess I can still do it, just dedicating one particular handset to my business line - that's OK. Definitely not what they originally indicated.

Now my second part of my problem is that my house is all wired for two separate phone lines, all phones having two lines on them. Not sure if I can even use the non-Ooma phones now, except for one line, but I will still move forward.

Why the Ooma unit can't support two separate 'pair' of lines coming in to it, I don't know ... there are 4 wires there, but I guess only two are used?
#51137 by murphy
Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:43 am
AgThorn wrote:
murphy wrote:The only way to have the two numbers have their own answering messages is to set up a handset as a personal device and assign the second number to the personal device. Once that is done, you can configure the voice mail for the second number and can log into my.ooma.com using the second number to see it's call log, voice mail, etc.

I just got this part all figured out, which matches the above. I guess I can still do it, just dedicating one particular handset to my business line - that's OK. Definitely not what they originally indicated.

Now my second part of my problem is that my house is all wired for two separate phone lines, all phones having two lines on them. Not sure if I can even use the non-Ooma phones now, except for one line, but I will still move forward.

Why the Ooma unit can't support two separate 'pair' of lines coming in to it, I don't know ... there are 4 wires there, but I guess only two are used?

If you can justify buying another Telo for your business, you can use the two line phones.