Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#67276 by jonjonbear
Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:11 am
Hello,
I just got my Ooma a couple of weeks ago to replace my horrible Vonage service. So far it's amazing, or at least until I tried to set up QoS. I just replaced my Airport extreme router with the new Cisco Linksys E3000 so wanted to set up the QoS feature which the Airport didn't have. First, my Ooma is behind my router and I can't change that. My internet comes into my house in the master BR closet where it's connected to a switch in my ONQ panel. So I have a network jack in the kitchen where the Ooma lives. First, what the heck is up with that odd MAC address on the unit? I have never seen anything like "1234-5679-5432" before. Usually 01:23:b6: and so on. So are you just supposed to put the semicolons between each two characters? The router has pre set spaces and cannot accommodate such layout as on the label. That's what I did, and I think it actually degraded my service which I don't know how. Maybe the router is trying to prioritize something it can't find? Surely I have something set up wrong. I have not tried to log onto the Ooma web interface as I believe you have to have it installed in front of your router to get to it??
My setup is as follows:
cable modem-router-switch-Ooma

Thanks for any tips,
John
#67277 by murphy
Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:18 am
jonjonbear wrote:Hello,
I just got my Ooma a couple of weeks ago to replace my horrible Vonage service. So far it's amazing, or at least until I tried to set up QoS. I just replaced my Airport extreme router with the new Cisco Linksys E3000 so wanted to set up the QoS feature which the Airport didn't have. First, my Ooma is behind my router and I can't change that. My internet comes into my house in the master BR closet where it's connected to a switch in my ONQ panel. So I have a network jack in the kitchen where the Ooma lives. First, what the heck is up with that odd MAC address on the unit? I have never seen anything like "1234-5679-5432" before. Usually 01:23:b6: and so on. So are you just supposed to put the semicolons between each two characters? The router has pre set spaces and cannot accommodate such layout as on the label. That's what I did, and I think it actually degraded my service which I don't know how. Maybe the router is trying to prioritize something it can't find? Surely I have something set up wrong. I have not tried to log onto the Ooma web interface as I believe you have to have it installed in front of your router to get to it??
My setup is as follows:
cable modem-router-switch-Ooma

Thanks for any tips,
John

Using your example break it up as 12:34:56:79:54:33
They are colons, not semi-colons.
Note that the last number is one higher.
The MAC address on the bottom is the MAC address of the Home port.
The MAC address of the Internet port is one higher.
Temporarily connect a computer to the Home port to access the setup page.
#67279 by jonjonbear
Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:23 am
murphy wrote:Using your example break it up as 12:34:56:79:54:33

Hi Murphy,
So if the last two digits are "D6" I should enter it as "D7" in the router setup ?
And yes, colons..(blush) sorry!

Will give this a try when I get home.
Thanks for the quick help,

John
#67280 by murphy
Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:26 am
jonjonbear wrote:
murphy wrote:Using your example break it up as 12:34:56:79:54:33

Hi Murphy,
So if the last two digits are "D6" I should enter it as "D7" in the router setup ?
And yes, colons..(blush) sorry!

Will give this a try when I get home.
Thanks for the quick help,

John

One other item.
Log into the setup page, go to the Network tab, click the radio button for Use built in MAC address, click update.
You can verify the Modem port MAC address on that page.