Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#7815 by bw1
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:33 am
TonyB,

Instant Second Line is part of ooma Premier, so you're able to use it while you are still in your trial period. Once that ends, you won't be able to use it anymore.

See here for Premier info:
https://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_premier.php

If you paid $39.99 to have your number ported and you're still in your trial period, you can get a yearly subscription to premier for $99.99 and get the $39.99 port fee refunded.
#7817 by buzzman
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:37 am
That's what I thought. Bummer.

Well, I got a brand new scout, but still haven't found a good reason to use it yet other than having the ability to check my voicemail (IF I decide not to use my answering machine). I'd appreciate if anyone can give me a good reason to use a scout.

TonyB wrote:murphy, to be clear, those who don't have Premiere, have the instant 2nd line also, correct? We are in the trial period, so I want to make sure that we are enjoying will remain...

Drat, it appears that the instant 2nd line is a Premiere feature: https://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_premier.php

Oh well... We are doing what we can to save $ these days, so I guess I will sell the Scout.
#7818 by murphy
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 am
TonyB wrote:Oh well... We are doing what we can to save $ these days, so I guess I will sell the Scout.

On the $99 per year plan, Premier costs about 27 cents per day. Eat one less doughnut, cup of coffee, etc. per day and you have it covered plus your health improves. :)
#7820 by TonyB
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:43 am
With all of our phones, fax and TiVo networked via the hub, the Scout seems to offer us the ability to check messages in the bedroom (where it now resides) and to serve as a night light, lol. Without the Premiere service, it doesn't offer all that much, given our set-up...

Thanks for the clarification.

Question:

If one signs up for the Premiere service, for a year, and gets the free porting, does one also get to choose another Ooma number for free - ie, 3 phone numbers (the ported landline and two Ooma ones)?
#7822 by buzzman
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:55 am
When you're porting, I believe you'll lose your Ooma assigned number. Nice try though. :-)

TonyB wrote:With all of our phones, fax and TiVo networked via the hub, the Scout seems to offer us the ability to check messages in the bedroom (where it now resides) and to serve as a night light, lol. Without the Premiere service, it doesn't offer all that much, given our set-up...

Thanks for the clarification.

Question:

If one signs up for the Premiere service, for a year, and gets the free porting, does one also get to choose another Ooma number for free - ie, 3 phone numbers (the ported landline and two Ooma ones)?
#7823 by murphy
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:57 am
TonyB wrote:Question:

No. The ported number will replace the ooma issued temporary number. If you want to keep that number, tell them ahead of time and they will make that your second number. Under Premier you have two numbers included. A third number costs $4.99 per month. Note that no matter how many numbers or scouts (up to 4 max) you have there are only two physical lines available. Only two calls can be in progress at the same time.
#7920 by tommies
Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:11 am
tommies wrote:Mine does say the cid by name, but the cid must have a name for it to work. It does not say the name in the phone book

Update, the above statement is refered to my old Panasonic 5.8GHz.

I just bought a new Panasonic Dect. 6.0 and with Talking cid, and it does speak the name in the phone book, even if CID does have a name.
#7922 by number9
Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 am
I just (last night) bought a new Uniden DECT 6.0 with answering system, and one extra satellite handset. Model number is, Uniden DECT 1580-2. $49.00 at Target. Wi-Fi friendly. energy star rated, RoHS (lead free), hearing aid compatible T coil. Used it a few times this morning. So far so good. The sound is clear and it has good range. I walked out to the backyard, about 150 feet, from base and it was still clear. The satellite handset rings without the scout. The scout will go the basement phone.
I'm not recommending this only because I have not used too much. So far so good though.
#8141 by oomg
Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:51 am
Here is another 4 unit cordless Dect 6.0 system from Fry's that looks like a real bargain at $40.00 for the entire set. Even has a hot button to GOOG 411.

http://shop2.frys.com/product/5894203?s ... 20Pod:Pod1