Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#7658 by number9
Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:48 am
buzzman wrote:
TonyB wrote:Thanks guys!

Now that you mention an answering machine, I've been trying to find one (a DECT 6.0) without one; and it seems rather impossible. If I might ask, why was answering machine important? I suppose if Oma were not make it (let's hope not!), then you would have the answering machine...

Any of you using distinctive rings to indentify callers, such as for friends and family? If I read the Panasonic description correctly, it will actually announce, by name the caller between rings. So, if a friend John were calling, between rings, the phone will say "John". Can anyone confirm? Buzzman, is that what you are saying by "taking caller ID"?



Thanks again.


You can easily disable the phone's answering machine so Ooma can answer it. For some people, phone's answering machine may be important because of the call-screening (non-Premiere users) and the fact that it "never fails".

Yes, the talking caller ID should announce whatever name the caller ID (or the phone book) says.


I like an answering machine on the phone so I know instantly that I have calls, instead of having to 'log on" seems more efficient to me. ooma has a distinctive ring feature. It may only be with premier service though. Talking caller id is as you described.
#7660 by TonyB
Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 am
Don't have much time to address all who replied as I want to leave a bit earlier for work so I can stop at Fry's!

If I understand, while tommies said that his unit will say out loud the caller's name, this is only so if that info was provided by Caller ID. If no name is associated to the number, even if there is one in the "phone book", there will not be such an announcement. However, buzzman said that he gets these based upon the name in his phone book also. I seem to recall that he has a Panasonic...

We currently have our cordless answering machine off also. We have Ooma voicemail pick-up at 4 rings. I suppose one can have their cordless phone answering machine on, but to pick-up at let's say 6 rings, as a back-up. Just a thought...

Thanks for all of the links on the GE. Looking at that also...
#7699 by oomg
Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:15 am
TonyB wrote:Don't have much time to address all who replied as I want to leave a bit earlier for work so I can stop at Fry's!

If I understand, while tommies said that his unit will say out loud the caller's name, this is only so if that info was provided by Caller ID. If no name is associated to the number, even if there is one in the "phone book", there will not be such an announcement. However, buzzman said that he gets these based upon the name in his phone book also. I seem to recall that he has a Panasonic...

We currently have our cordless answering machine off also. We have Ooma voicemail pick-up at 4 rings. I suppose one can have their cordless phone answering machine on, but to pick-up at let's say 6 rings, as a back-up. Just a thought...

Thanks for all of the links on the GE. Looking at that also...

I had been a faithful Panasonic user for more than 20 years, and still use one of their 3 line desk units. However, I was impressed with the GE units, and thus bought them. BTW, the units I bought are equipped with a lithium-ion battery.

This one from GE has a speaker phone on the base; looks like it was made to match the ooma Hub; and has stations that can be wall mounted (Fry's shows base station for only $30):
http://www.home-electronics.net/ge/pc/v ... product=15
#7711 by TonyB
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 pm
I saw that unit, and it looks nice. Would seem to look great in a stainless steel appliance kitchen.

I really would like speaker phone on the handset, which this seems not to have. The call block is something I'd like to have, as well as the audible Caller ID. That seems just to leave me with a Panasonic.

Went to Fry's on the way to work, but not the model I wanted in black. I check Walmart during my lunch break, nada. I'll check a different Fry's on the way home...

Lithium ion batteries are nicer. I have them in my power tools, and they are awesome. They are more expensive though. Anyone know what they cost for phones? Maybe another factor to consider...
#7787 by tjnamtiw
Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:33 am
thively wrote:The 2-line phone systems are nice if you've set up the Core to ring 1 number and the scout to ring the 2nd number, and you want both available from the same cordless handset in such a way that you press "line 1" for 1 and "line 2" for 2. Of course the core and scout have to both be next to each other to plug in to the same phone (unless you have creative house wiring.)


You don't need, I believe, a 2 line system to have the core ring on one number and the Scout the second number. You can assign each number to one or the other on your preferences. That way your Scout can have a 'private' line for your child.
#7804 by TonyB
Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:21 am
tjnamtiw wrote:
thively wrote:The 2-line phone systems are nice if you've set up the Core to ring 1 number and the scout to ring the 2nd number, and you want both available from the same cordless handset in such a way that you press "line 1" for 1 and "line 2" for 2. Of course the core and scout have to both be next to each other to plug in to the same phone (unless you have creative house wiring.)


You don't need, I believe, a 2 line system to have the core ring on one number and the Scout the second number. You can assign each number to one or the other on your preferences. That way your Scout can have a 'private' line for your child.


We don't have the Premiere service, but I believe the above to be correct.

Fry's had on sale a Panasonic model with 3 handsets for $69.99. Normally 100 or more in other stores... It looks like the handsets are fully charged after a night in the cradles. Looking forward to setting them up now.

Oh, I spoke with a guy looking at the Ooma last night in Fry's. He was interested but somewhat confused. The sound quality of the unit there was not good, unfortunately. I spoke to its virtues nonetheless and drew a crowd after a few minutes! Felt like I was sales guy from Ooma, lol.
#7806 by buzzman
Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:32 am
I think you'd need a premiere service to get a two-line setup, correct? Otherwise, you can only "call out" on the second one, is that correct?

I didn't even realize that you can setup your hub to connect only to the "second" line even when you don't have a Premiere service.

TonyB wrote:
tjnamtiw wrote:
thively wrote:The 2-line phone systems are nice if you've set up the Core to ring 1 number and the scout to ring the 2nd number, and you want both available from the same cordless handset in such a way that you press "line 1" for 1 and "line 2" for 2. Of course the core and scout have to both be next to each other to plug in to the same phone (unless you have creative house wiring.)


You don't need, I believe, a 2 line system to have the core ring on one number and the Scout the second number. You can assign each number to one or the other on your preferences. That way your Scout can have a 'private' line for your child.


We don't have the Premiere service, but I believe the above to be correct.

Fry's had on sale a Panasonic model with 3 handsets for $69.99. Normally 100 or more in other stores... It looks like the handsets are fully charged after a night in the cradles. Looking forward to setting them up now.

Oh, I spoke with a guy looking at the Ooma last night in Fry's. He was interested but somewhat confused. The sound quality of the unit there was not good, unfortunately. I spoke to its virtues nonetheless and drew a crowd after a few minutes! Felt like I was sales guy from Ooma, lol.
#7808 by TonyB
Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:54 am
Yes, as I said above, I believe that's the case. The terminology can get a little confusing too I suppose. A second line and an instant second line...

The first I'm taking to mean a separate, distinct phone or additional number. This I believe requires the Premiere service. I can see this option as we are still in the trial period... The instant second line simply means getting a dial tone on another phone when someone else is talking on another house phone. There is only one phone number and this necessitates the Scout being used. This also make conferencing possible. Personally, we really like this instant 2nd line and don't see much need for 2nd line or phone number...
#7810 by murphy
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:15 am
Instant second line is also a Premier feature.
#7812 by TonyB
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:19 am
murphy, to be clear, those who don't have Premiere, have the instant 2nd line also, correct? We are in the trial period, so I want to make sure that we are enjoying will remain...

Drat, it appears that the instant 2nd line is a Premiere feature: https://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_premier.php

Oh well... We are doing what we can to save $ these days, so I guess I will sell the Scout.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests