Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#4498 by drmlmeier
Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:24 am
I'm currently waiting for my other number to be ported and thought that I'd poll the ooma forum to see what others think about phone choice. My current phones are really crapping out and need to be replaced.

I've been using a 2-line system with fax on the rollover line. My idea for setup would be to have only the fax hooked directly into the Hub, 1 scout for 1 cordless, single-line phone base with 1 extension handset and another scout for 1 other cordless single-line phone base, with or without an extension handset. I plan to use single-line (2 wire) phone cords.

I've read where some people still use 2-line phones with ooma but i don't see the benefit. All you need to do is push "flash" to switch back and forth.

I want all phones to ring with both numbers. So if a fax is coming I can pick up any phone to let the fax take over, as it is set on manual.

I would like to use cordless although not necessary.

I would like to have speakerphone on each base but from what I've found that means also having an answering machine built in, which of course is not needed with ooma. I guess speakerphone option on the cordless handset would suffice.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

drmlmeier
#4890 by thively
Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:59 pm
The 2-line phone systems are nice if you've set up the Core to ring 1 number and the scout to ring the 2nd number, and you want both available from the same cordless handset in such a way that you press "line 1" for 1 and "line 2" for 2. Of course the core and scout have to both be next to each other to plug in to the same phone (unless you have creative house wiring.)

Having said that, if you just want to use the flash feature and single line phones, the 'best' cordless phones out there that I know of at this point are the Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones.
Specifically the model KX-TG9341T

They're pretty reasonably priced. The systems are expandable to up to 6 handsets (and come 1, 2, 3, and 4 handset kits.) You only need 1, but I'm just letting you know.

The all have a digital answering machine built in (which you'll just turn off) and some models have a keypad on the base to use as a speaker phone. Some don't have the keypad.

I've used Panasonics cordless for years and pretty much swear by them. They get the least complaints and least returns from what I've been able to gather.

They also sell this system in a 2-line version, but it's over twice the price. Not worth it unless you want that. You could get 2 single line set ups for the same price. So take your pick.
The 2-line version has a larger base with an actual wired phone on it. So that may interest you.

I was ready to pull the trigger on either the single line or dual line model but decided I'm going to wait for the new Ooma Telo. It's the new Ooma core with DECT 6.0 cordless phone functionality built in. The hand sets have the ooma features right on them and it's expandable.

Unfortunately "Q3" of 2009 is all they'll tell us so I'll be waiting a while. Meanwhile I stick with my (perfectly good) existing cordless system.
#6256 by techbook
Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:06 pm
started using the verizon(seamens) dect 6.o cordless dual line 500am-2 hooking line 1 to the hub and 2 to the scout(located next to the hub) means I can now receive incoming calls on any handset and easily use both lines at the same time; really like the feel/weight/functions of the system !
would wait for the new ooma telo which should make all this simpler but seems ooma rolls things out as slowly as microsoft (ugh!)
#7575 by TonyB
Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:16 pm
I too am looking at a DECT 6.0 unit...

Our current cordless does not have Caller ID. Since this phone is working fine for us, I want to make sure that this new purchase will be one that I feel worthwhile. I really like the idea of assigning unique ring tones to specific callers / phone numbers. Am I correct that this is possible with cordless phones nowadays?

Would like very much to have specific rings for our family members and friends; and this would make the purchase worthwhile.

If anyone has any advice on factors to consider, please let me me know. Thanks for the help.
#7592 by number9
Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:36 pm
Hi TonyB,
If are looking for 2 line phone, this will be of no help,..

I also have been looking at 6.0 DECT phones as well.
I'm sure you know the basics of what to look for; number of satellite handsets, answering machine, that kind of thing. One of the most important things, in my opinion, is to consider the battery. From what I have read Lithium Ion batteries seem to be the best. Also remeber you get what you pay for. Go to a local store touch and feel the phone you may be considering. Some have no weight and feel cheap others feel heavy and well built. From what I have read Panasonic and Uniden DECT phones have good customer ratings.
Good Luck!
#7607 by buzzman
Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:01 pm
I agree. I just bought a brand new Panasonic KX-TG9345PK for $60 from Craigslist, and so far love them. It comes with 5 handsets; the regular price for these guys is about $150, but Fry's had it on sale today (or yesterday?) for $100, which is a very good price.

The thing I like about this phone is call blocking ability. You can store up to 20 blocked numbers. Also, it comes with talking caller ID.

Good luck.
#7628 by TonyB
Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:31 pm
Thanks guys!

I find a speaker phone to be important, probably b/c I work from home a couple days a week. Now that you mention an answering machine, I've been trying to find one (a DECT 6.0) without one; and it seems rather impossible. We have a broadband answering machine with our beloved Ooma. If I might ask, why was answering machine important? I suppose if Oma were not make it (let's hope not!), then you would have the answering machine...

Any of you using distinctive rings to indentify callers, such as for friends and family? If I read the Panasonic description correctly, it will actually announce, by name the caller between rings. So, if a friend John were calling, between rings, the phone will say "John". Can anyone confirm? Buzzman, is that what you are saying by "taking caller ID"?

And yes, the call blocking sounds great. Do you know the limit or max of blocked phone numbers? If only 10 or 20, I can see that filling-up pretty fast...

Thanks again.
#7641 by tommies
Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:14 am
Mine does say the cid by name, but the cid must have a name for it to work. It does not say the name in the phone book
#7643 by buzzman
Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:40 am
TonyB wrote:Thanks guys!

I find a speaker phone to be important, probably b/c I work from home a couple days a week. Now that you mention an answering machine, I've been trying to find one (a DECT 6.0) without one; and it seems rather impossible. We have a broadband answering machine with our beloved Ooma. If I might ask, why was answering machine important? I suppose if Oma were not make it (let's hope not!), then you would have the answering machine...

Any of you using distinctive rings to indentify callers, such as for friends and family? If I read the Panasonic description correctly, it will actually announce, by name the caller between rings. So, if a friend John were calling, between rings, the phone will say "John". Can anyone confirm? Buzzman, is that what you are saying by "taking caller ID"?

And yes, the call blocking sounds great. Do you know the limit or max of blocked phone numbers? If only 10 or 20, I can see that filling-up pretty fast...

Thanks again.

You can easily disable the phone's answering machine so Ooma can answer it. For some people, phone's answering machine may be important because of the call-screening (non-Premiere users) and the fact that it "never fails".

Yes, the talking caller ID should announce whatever name the caller ID (or the phone book) says.
#7646 by oomg
Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:09 am
drmlmeier wrote:I've been using a 2-line system with fax on the rollover line. My idea for setup would be to have only the fax hooked directly into the Hub, 1 scout for 1 cordless, single-line phone base with 1 extension handset and another scout for 1 other cordless single-line phone base, with or without an extension handset. I plan to use single-line (2 wire) phone cords.

I've read where some people still use 2-line phones with ooma but i don't see the benefit. All you need to do is push "flash" to switch back and forth.

I want all phones to ring with both numbers. So if a fax is coming I can pick up any phone to let the fax take over, as it is set on manual.

I would like to use cordless although not necessary.

I would like to have speakerphone on each base but from what I've found that means also having an answering machine built in, which of course is not needed with ooma. I guess speakerphone option on the cordless handset would suffice.

Let me comment about the fax first. There has been some discussion regarding limitations on the size of faxes (I am assuming the applies to both incoming and outgoing).

FWIW, I have been using an e-fax service for almost a year for all incoming faxes. There are at least two services available that allow for the receipt of an unlimited number of incoming faxes for less than $4 per month. Given the number of faxes that are sent to me, that is less than the cost of toner, etc., particularly since I end up printing only about 15-20% of all incoming documents. Each of these services will give you a dedicated fax number, and each will also allow for distribution to multiple email addresses. So, I use the alternative email address to automatically backup and archive all incoming documents. One other feature... since switching to the service, junk faxes have ceased completely. Not quite sure how they filter them, but it seems to work very well.

If I need to send a fax... I just turn it on and send over my existing landline. I am just now getting into efax transmission but have yet to master the system (which once again costs less that $4 per month).

Now for the cordless telephone unit:

I added a GE wireless/cordless system to one line on the hub. Bought at Fry's: base unit $30 (without answer feature; $40 with... but who needs it when you have the ooma system); $20 for each additional station. I have six stations, including the base, so total of $130 (plus some tax for California's govinator). The individual stations can communicate between each other via internal intercom feature. These units have a built in speaker phone which seems to work well. Relatively small unit: approximately 5.5x1.75x0.5. Each phone has the ability to store several names/numbers (around 40), so each family member can make his own mini list. Working great so far. See: http://shop1.frys.com/product/5443979?s ... IN_RSLT_PG
More from GE's website:
http://www.home-electronics.net/ge/pc/v ... product=14

You can even get the system in red if you are into art deco... or simply must have that hotline to the Whitehouse. See: http://shop1.frys.com/product/5849323?s ... IN_RSLT_PG

Here is another one from GE that looks like it was made to match the ooma Hub and which has stations that can be wall mounted (Fry's shows base station for only $30):
http://www.home-electronics.net/ge/pc/v ... product=15

Myy second line is assigned to the scout that sits at my home office desk. I have a Plantronics headset phone as well as a regular phone connected to it. Also working exactly as expected.

I can see no reason why I could not attach a second cordless phone system to the Scout. My Scout happens to be "assigned" to the second number, but if not assigned and connected to a separate cordless base station, all phones should work on both lines.