Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#66914 by austinla
Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:57 am
I was wondering about the 15 dBmv. I read where someone's was low, but not high in another thread. Could this be affecting the connection? If so,can it be fixed? I'm guessing you didn't see anything else in the info that looked odd, right?

By hard reset, I mean the reset button and waiting before connecting the Telo to it. I've held it down as long as 30 seconds before letting in go to do it's job because someone on another board suggest it was needed for the reset.
#66924 by murphy
Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:06 am
austinla wrote:I was wondering about the 15 dBmv. I read where someone's was low, but not high in another thread. Could this be affecting the connection? If so,can it be fixed? I'm guessing you didn't see anything else in the info that looked odd, right?

By hard reset, I mean the reset button and waiting before connecting the Telo to it. I've held it down as long as 30 seconds before letting in go to do it's job because someone on another board suggest it was needed for the reset.

The range for that modem is -15 to +15.

http://www.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_ ... 09_web.pdf

You could put a 1 to 2 port splitter in the RF path (cable). That should drop it to 12. If you do this be sure to terminate the unused output port of the splitter with a terminator.
#66945 by nlrhodes
Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:52 am
OK, I just have a thought. You are using a integrated modem then OOMA. When you check things you are attaching your PC to the home port. Got that. Your ISP says they are not blocking any ports, which may be different than me, maybe not. I don't know that my ISP was blocking ports per say and maybe it is a verbage issue. My provider said they could open ports and forward them to where I wanted them to go. The ports you know, and I had them forward them to the IP address of my OOMA box. I made my OOMA a static address so I didn't ever worry about connections and it retaining the same address under DHCP all the time. When my provider opened the ports, they did not open the firewall. I had to ask again. My laptop is wireless and DHCP. My OOMA is static and the first address from the modem. This may be redundant and if it is I apologize. You took your OOMA box to a friend's home and used their network and it worked. There is the slim chance you have a cable problem unless of course you took those as well. There are a couple of diagnostic things you should be able to do I would think. Pester your friend and return to their home with cables, your OOMA and your modem. You really don't know that the modem isn't at issue. You presume it works as I would but it is worth a try. Once you rule out all of the things under your control the only unknown is the provider. I really want this to work for you as I was thrilled when I was finally successful with mine. I also am not in the US but have used OOMA since I was successful and the connection was top notch as was the voice quality of the calling party. At first my provider insisted the DSL worked as it is suppose to so I took the offensive and said, but my VOIP doesn't work. When they finally figured out VOIP, I was on second base headed for home.
#66947 by austinla
Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:13 pm
@ nlrhodes

I was one step ahead of you (mostly). I just returned from my friend's home. I brought everything you mentioned, besides the modem. He has a different ISP, so I assume the modem won't do any good there. iwent for another reason. I realized that I was so excited after getting a call in 5 minutes, that I didn't let it update the firmware the first time I went. I also assume that the firmware was updated using my own ISP and that only calls were being blocked, but when I talked to Ooma support, they told me my firmware was dated Jan 2010, so i went to my friend's home to mainly leave the box for two hours and get the firmware updated, which I did and made a test call before returning home.

At home, I went through powering down/powering up everything. something is INDEED different, but not better, yet. My Ooma Telo is stuck with a sequencing blue bottom row (much like the it had during the firmware update at my friend's home). It has been about 1.5 hours. The Ooma setup says to wait while it is initializing. Like I said: different, but not better.

BTW, the call I made at my friend's home was crystal clear. I really don't want to switch my ISP, but this issue may force my hand.
#67112 by nlrhodes
Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:11 am
Your ISP says they are not blocking any ports. Have you asked them to forward the ports listed from OOMA in a previous post in this thread, and in mine, to the IP address of your OOMA. Remember, I made mine a static address so it is always the same no matter what. Also, your modem most likely has a firewall. You can't control the firewall but your ISP can. They can open the firewall so your phone works, just as they can forward the ports OOMA needs to the IP address of your OOMA box.
#67113 by austinla
Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 am
I am calling them today. Being in a Spanish speaking country, I had to find out how to say "forward" so that they understood it in the technical sense it is intended to have. I will also ask about the firewall.

If my Modem is at 192.168.100.1, I should put the Ooma static at 192.168.100.xx, right?
#67142 by ricksour
Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 pm
My telo doesn't get me a dial tone either, and since I am not the greatest tech guy I am going to return it as it is not a "cinch" to hook up, and their tech help was mostly helpless.
#67143 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:57 pm
ricksour wrote:My telo doesn't get me a dial tone either, and since I am not the greatest tech guy I am going to return it as it is not a "cinch" to hook up, and their tech help was mostly helpless.

It is a "cinch" for most people.

Goto ooma.com and activate Ooma device. Get a number assigned (don't choose to use your own number as this method, landline integration mode, is not recommended by many).

Turn modem and router off; if you have a modem with batteries, take them out too. Connect modem to "to internet" using ethernet cable. Connect router to "to home network" using ethernet cable. Plug in a phone to the "phone" port. Turn on modem, wait until it comes online, then turn on Ooma and wait until it turns blue. Then turn on router.

For the Hub, "to internet" port is "modem" port, "to home network" port is "home" port.

After setup done, do the optimal setup.
#67144 by ricksour
Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 pm
I have done all this. The only thing I have a question about is the Modem and Router. I have Uverse and I think the Router and Modem are in the same tower. Any Uverse people with the 2wire respond to that. I can't separate the two devices to power them off and on separately.