Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#66198 by CTsleepy
Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:49 pm
I've read several posts about porting my number from AT&T without losing DSL internet. Our house originally had 2 landlines, so I'm reactivating the 2nd, then converting the first to DSL direct in order to port our phone number. So I will be starting the porting process once the 2nd line is established. Once the port is complete, I will drop the second line and have just a DSL direct (dry). This was the cheapest way I could find around all of AT&T's hoops. Does anyone see a problem with this plan?
Thanks!
#66199 by lbmofo
Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:58 pm
If you can handle a few days of internet outage (this means no ooma phone), just port over your number and if your DSL is cut-off, call AT&T to have them turn DSL back on again. The least headache way to deal with this and $0 cost but some downtime.
#66226 by dschmidt_2000
Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:44 pm
Here's what I did.
- Already had lineshared DSL (dsl + phone) with AT&T.
- signed up for a dry loop DSL line, Pro speed, on another pair at the house.
- Once that was up and running (I bought a used modem off Ebay) I moved my internet over to it.
- call AT&T and dropped the DSL from the landline phone, waited a month.
- Ported my number to Oooma, which cancelled the landline phone.

Time from my request to the time port was done was 1 calendar week.

Sound quality isn't as good as the landline, but close. The biggest problem is there is a delay when talking to someone.
Worse on some calls than others.

Interestingly I have Tmobile@home VOIP on the same DSL line, the integrated VOIP/Router located AFTER the Ooma Hub, and I get no delays. Never had delays with TMobil VOIP before using Ooma, have not had it after getting Ooma. Same internet connection.

Dave