Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#66103 by dieffen
Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:30 pm
I have Internet, TV, and phone service through my cable company Cox...On my cable modem a coax line comes in and there is a coax line coming in and a coax line that goes to my computer (ooma telo box now) and then there is a phone line coming out of the modem and goes into the wall. I am trying to feed the line from the ooma box to all the phone jacks. I was wondering if the source of the phone lines in the house was the cable modem and energized from it... where I could take the line out of the modem and connect it to the ooma telo box and have the jacks in the whole house active. If I unplugged the line from the modem, could I check the jacks to see if they are disconnected using a meter to ensure that no damage would be done to the ooma box?

Thanks for any help,
Eric
#66104 by southsound
Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:42 pm
dieffen wrote:I am trying to feed the line from the ooma box to all the phone jacks. I was wondering if the source of the phone lines in the house was the cable modem and energized from it... where I could take the line out of the modem and connect it to the ooma telo box and have the jacks in the whole house active. If I unplugged the line from the modem, could I check the jacks to see if they are disconnected using a meter to ensure that no damage would be done to the ooma box?

First off, Eric, welcome to ooma and to the forums!

Yes, what you have suggested is a great way to supply ooma dialtone to your entire home. No need for a meter - a better way is to go outside the house to the Network Interface Box where your local phone company had previously connected your service. There will be a customer side and a telco side. Open the customer side and observe several little modular cords. If they are unplugged, you are all set. If not, just unplug them.

If you have not yet set up your ooma, remember that you may need to reboot your cable modem for it to recognize your ooma - and since you had VoIP with them, you will need to remove the battery to do a proper reboot.