Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65736 by eddyforheelz
Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:12 pm
Hello. I recently purchased ooma from amazon. But I am having a trouble. There are several problems I have. I am from Southern California.

I have Verizon High Speed Internet DSL. As you know, DSL uses a phonejack. I tried to connect as the instruction says. But I don't know where I should be connecting my DSL modem phone jack to. Do I need phone jack splitter? Where do I install dsl filters to?

Also, What do I need to do to port my landline phone? I am currently under 1-year contract with Verizon that expires on December 29, 2010.

I tried calling Verizon and asked them about dry-loop/stand-alone. Prices cost more. Do i have to do dry-loop and pay more? There's Time Warner Cable in my area. If I have to, I am planning to get cable since their service is 39.99 regardless of if I have home phone or not.

Anyone who can help would be very grateful. TY
#65748 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:15 am
I recommend that you don't use ooma in landline integration mode. Use it in standalone mode with a temp number assigned by ooma. This way, you don't need to connect ooma to your wall jack in the house.

As for porting, I would just port your number over to ooma and not talk to Verizon at all. Chances are, when your number port is complete, your phone service at Verizon would be cancelled (because Ooma took your number) but your DSL service would still be up and running. In case your DSL service drops, I would jot down Verizon's number and be prepared to call them to turn on the DSL service again.
#65814 by tommies
Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:51 pm
eddyforheelz wrote:I have Verizon High Speed Internet DSL. As you know, DSL uses a phonejack. I tried to connect as the instruction says. But I don't know where I should be connecting my DSL modem phone jack to. Do I need phone jack splitter? Where do I install dsl filters to?

You should connect the DSL modem to the wall jack as it was before. Next the Telo, you have two options:

1. install the Telo after the router. Many posters refer to this setup as (modem > router > [Telo + pc's]), This is also my setup, and if you choose this, you can follow some of my tips here in this post
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4399&p=31732#p31732

2. install the Telo between the modem and the router, (modem > Telo > router > pc's) Many have Telo works just fine with this setup. Just connect Telo's 'To Internet' port to the Modem, and connect the router's WAN port to Telo's HOME port. The router WAN port is the port which was connect to the Modem previously.

If you have a Modem/router combo, option 2. is out. Even if you choose option 2, I recommend to install in option 1. first, and then after the Telo is working and up to date you can reverse it to option 2. During the initial setup, the Telo will go to a update step which may take long time and may disrupt your internet connection.
Also, What do I need to do to port my landline phone? I am currently under 1-year contract with Verizon that expires on December 29, 2010.

I tried calling Verizon and asked them about dry-loop/stand-alone. Prices cost more. Do i have to do dry-loop and pay more? There's Time Warner Cable in my area. If I have to, I am planning to get cable since their service is 39.99 regardless of if I have home phone or not.

Anyone who can help would be very grateful. TY

From now to December, there is ample time for you to test out ooma and research on porting request. You do need to dry loop your DSL, and with Verizon, many have report that after the port completed, Verizon will convert your DSL to dry loop without service disruption.