Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65346 by Tufis05
Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:13 am
Hi,

Has anyone connected their Telo to a Netgear wireless ethernet adapter (WNCE2001) ? I am considering buying that adapter to connect Telo. Looks like the Telo's USB port could provide the power for the adapter. Has anyone done this successfully? If so, how does the authentication work? Would I authenticate to the WiFinetwork first with a computer then switchout for the Netgear adapter? Would you recommend?

TIA,

Steve
#65355 by hpepper
Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:49 am
In theory, it should work. Not sure if it would add too much latency... or maybe it won't allow all the needed ports to be opened and used or a VPN to be established as needed by the Telo.

According to the Netgear website, for authentication, you would connect a PC to it first and use a browser to configure the device. It would then connect to the wireless network in your home.
#65439 by chill
Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:43 am
@Tufis05
I just bought my ooma Telo yesterday and also bought the Netgear WNCE2001. Yes, the Telo WILL power the WNCE2001.

The way I did it is set up the Netgear adapter first by plugging it direct to ethernet cable to your computer, set it up. Then plug it into the Telo ethernet and USB to power the WNCE2001. turn everything on, it does it's boot up thing and, voila.

Everything seems to work perfectly fine. I'll operate this way until I cut the cord with the local phone company after the number port is finished, then I'll send ooma into the home's wiring so I can plug in the fax machine into the upstairs office wall plug.

The only issue I'm having now, is while ooma still maintains the connection with the wireless network with no problems whatsoever, I cannot connect any laptop to the wireless. It sees the network, but cannot connect. I've been reading that this could be due to my cordless phone system I have plugged in to ooma (Uniden 5.8Ghz cordless.) I'm still reading up on how to resolve this, or else go spend the $50 per Telo handset and just be done with it (if that will resolve the issue.)
#65443 by WayneDsr
Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:54 am
Temporaily unplug the cordless phone and the base unit so that it is not operating. Try to connect to the wireless with your laptop. If you still cannot connect with your laptop, the cordless phone is not the issue. Usually one would use a dect 6 phone with any wireless internet to avoid problems.
However, (IMO) it seems to me that the Telo would not work either, if the phone was causing the issue.

Wayne
#65454 by chill
Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:58 pm
Well, as Wayne advised, here is what I did

unplugged the Uniden cordless phones, (even took the batteries out of the handsets). Still could not connect to the wireless AP. So decided maybe power cycling the AP would work. Power cycled, and was able to connect to WiFi by my laptop and my WiFi equipped cell. (YAY!). So then, plugged the Uniden cordless phone base back in, put the batteries back into the handsets, made a couple calls, no disconnects to wireless.

So...guess it's fixed for the time being and if it goes wonky, I'll try power cycling the AP again.

I think, in time I will get the Telo handsets for the house. Need to save up a little first.
#66066 by Tufis05
Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:18 pm
As original poster I can now confirm that the Telo works just fine with the Netgear wireless ethernet adapter (WNCE2001) connected to my wireless network. It has been performing flawlessly for 2 weeks now and gives me the flexibility of placing my Telo base unit anywhere I want without stringing ethernet cable and drilling holes all over hades. At about $60 from amazon delivered, it is the solution I was looking for. Thanks to all who answered my post.
#92647 by Ziggidy
Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:44 pm
Tufis05 wrote:As original poster I can now confirm that the Telo works just fine with the Netgear wireless ethernet adapter (WNCE2001) connected to my wireless network. It has been performing flawlessly for 2 weeks now and gives me the flexibility of placing my Telo base unit anywhere I want without stringing ethernet cable and drilling holes all over hades. At about $60 from amazon delivered, it is the solution I was looking for. Thanks to all who answered my post.

After trying for hours to configure my netgear usb wireless adapter to work with Ooma, I decided to give your success story a try and see if it would work for me.

Bought the adapter, 15 minutes later I can put my Ooma base anywhere in the house.

This is not a good post, not a great post but an excellent OUSTANDING post....

My hat is off to you!