Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65213 by ItsJustLeigh
Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:21 pm
(This post is for all the new or existing Ooma customers who use the Telo base unit and have a cable modem and the Apple Airport Extreme wireless router...)

Dear Frustrated (or soon-to-be frustrated) Ooma customer,

If your Ooma Telo is randomly freaking out and flashing red and causing you to drop calls or making it impossible to make or receive calls AND you have an Apple Airport Extreme wireless router, I have the solution for you!

Undoubtedly, you have spent god knows how much time trying to make sense of all the techno-babble double-speak that gets posted on here. These techno-geeks THINK they're speaking English... (They love their geek speak.. It makes them feel all superior as they sit there in their Starfleet uniforms and count the days to their next Trek convention.) They like to tell you things like "Put your Telo behind your router." Well, as a non-LAN/WAN network geek, I assume they mean to literally put the Telo between the modem and the router. BUT NOOOOOO.... They expect you to understand that what they MEANT to say was: "Connect your devices in this order: Modem to Telo/Telo to router."

The Ooma "Helpless Desk" (aka Customer Technical Support) is even worse! You will find that aside from their inability to actively listen, they only know how to parrot the same techno geek speak --but without the actual technical understanding of what they are telling you. On top of that, you are dealing with people for whom English is a tertiary language. (Unless you know someone who works as a translator for the United Nations, it is best if you try not to call Customer Support. Just keep scouring the Support Boards for grains of truth and guidance.)

So trust me: I have felt your pain...

Now, let's get you setup! So let's make sure have everything connected correctly. Here's the order in which things should be connected:

Coaxial cable from the wall jack goes to your cable modem.
Connect your cable modem (via an Ethernet cable) to your Ooma Telo "To Internet" port.
Connect your Telo (via another Ethernet cable) from the "To Network" port to your main Airport Extreme port. (It's the one that has what looks like a sun icon.)
Connect your phone (via the traditional phone cord) to the Telo "Phone" port.

Once the Telo goes thru its light show and is a solid blue, you may notice that your Airport Extreme is flashing Yellow.

The Airport Utility window should automatically launch because it senses that there has been a change to its configuration. You'll have two options to select Bridge or NAT: Choose Bridge.

If the Airport Utility has not automatically launched, go find it: Finder > Applications > Utilities > Airport Utility App > Manual Setup > (click Internet icon at the top of the window) > Connection Sharing field> Select Bridge Mode

This should resolve your problem --at least it resolved mine. FINALLY! When Ooma works, it works WONDERFULLY and it will make you very happy. BUT when Ooma doesn't work, it's a freakin' nightmare!

Good luck to you.. I hope this posting has helped!
#65243 by tommies
Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:15 pm
Welcome to ooma and the forum.

Your effort to solve your problem and then post it here to help other needs to be recognized and complimented. Two thumbs up for your post from me.

We are share one common interest: the longer ooma is in business, the better for our investment in their product. I am, like you and many others, in here to try to help people with their problems, so the more people happy with ooma, the better for everyone.

However, there is some misunderstanding that I would like to clarify.

First of all, I can assure that no one speaking geek in here. There is people who knows what a WAN/LAN means, and the others just does not care to know. However, the fact is that every router--except those which Apple name on it--uses WAN and LAN as label on its ports. The instruction is very clear: connect the port labeled WAN the the modem, and connect the PC to the port labeled LAN.

I learnt today from your post that Apple choses not to follow the industry common practice and labels their router differently.
from the "To Network" port to your main Airport Extreme port. (It's the one that has what looks like a sun icon.)

There is a bigger misunderstanding in the quote below
They like to tell you things like "Put your Telo behind your router." Well, as a non-LAN/WAN network geek, I assume they mean to literally put the Telo between the modem and the router. BUT NOOOOOO.... They expect you to understand that what they MEANT to say was: "Connect your devices in this order: Modem to Telo/Telo to router."

In this forum, as far back as I were, when one says "Put your Telo behind your router." he/she means just that, and the opposite is "put your Telo infront of your router." The later is also means "put your Telo between the modem and the router," this way the modem is mentioned explicitly. Implicitly, with the modem omitted, it clearly becomes "in front of the router."

However, if you take it too literally, that is just put the Telo behind the router without actually connecting the wires, I am lost, totally lost.

Also, many posters have this simple chart
  • (modem > router > [telo + pc + laptop]) for the "Put your Telo behind your router." same as put your pc behind your router.
  • (modem > telo > router > [pc + laptop]) for the "Telo between the modem and the router" or telo in front of the router

This is the first time that I see one person mistaken one for the other of the two above setups.

Moreover, many posters had gone to great length to address the issues of connecting between devices, from which port to which port, step by step for both setups. I had seen many of those posts. It's a pity that Ooma have not heard my plea to make those very helpful posts a sticky post, so new comer can see it right away. Instead, new user is force into a jungle of different opinions on different issues that the new user mistakenly takes as his/her problem and then blindly follow. The result is easy to see, more frustration.

Another issue is ooma forum lack a simple guide line for new user, especially for how to ask for help. The best practice, I think is create a new topic for one problem/issue. Do not jump on a existing post, because it is easily overlook. Personally, I scan for unanswered posts before go any where else on this board, but I am not here every day though.

If one problem has been solved, a link will be provide, and the poster can be assured the the linked post will be the answer.

Again welcome to ooma and keep up the good work.

Cheers
#65653 by gnick03
Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:46 am
Hello!
I have been reading the forums about connectivity problems between the ooma telo and the apple router.
I have an airport extreme router and an ooma telo. I have connected the system in this order:
modem-airport extreme router-ooma telo-wireless phone. I still cannot have dial tone in the phone. When I connect modem-ooma telo-router I lost the internet signal for my computer. (The router's light starts blinking with amber color). At the moment I don't have my Mac just a laptop (PC). How can I modify the configuration on the Airport extreme to switch it to "bridge" mode?

Any suggestions please?

Thank you!
#65660 by highq
Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:36 am
For a few feet, flat or round won't make any difference.
But a flat ribbon ethernet cable is unlikely to be longer than a meter or so.
You can buy 50-foot Ethernet cables, and longer, but they'll not be a flat ribbon.
#65664 by gnick03
Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:51 am
The connection is within less than a feet of each other. I used the black (flat ethernet calbe that comes with the telo). My problem is that I still don't have dial tone on my phone even after connecting the modem to the ooma telo alone.
Any suggestions? Thanks!
#65666 by murphy
Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:59 am
gnick03 wrote:The connection is within less than a feet of each other. I used the black (flat ethernet calbe that comes with the telo). My problem is that I still don't have dial tone on my phone even after connecting the modem to the ooma telo alone.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

When you connected the Telo to the modem did you turn the modem off?
#65682 by ntoy
Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:34 am
Hello gnick03,

Looks like your hub is online. Does your laptop have an ethernet port & setup to receive a dynamic ip address?-If so, what happens if you plug the ethernet cable from the "Home" port on the hub to your laptop? Are you able to surf the web? Also, just underneath the "Home" port on your hub are 2 LEDs. Do you see a solid green & the other flashing? Tried a different ethernet cable?
#65690 by ibradly
Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 pm
I think where some people might get confused is if you want your Telo after your router, be it an Apple, Linksys, whatever, you should be connecting the router (via a LAN port) to the Telo's "To Internet" port and not the Telo's "Home Network" port.

Cable Modem --> Apple Airport Extreme --> Ooma Telo

In this configuration, the Airport Extreme would act as the true router and would not be in Bridge mode.