Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65081 by mike8712
Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:50 am
I've got the ooma behind the router, and am searching now for instructions on how to prioritize the Ooma (also would like to prioritize Xbox next), MAC address, QoS, anything else. I've got a new motorola surfboard extreme modem, a Linksys E 3000, great download speeds, decent upload speeds. Any links to the essential settings for having this work correctly behind the router would be greatly appreciated - thank you!
#65090 by murphy
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 am
Look for the QOS tab under Applications.
Configure the MAC address of the Internet port (one higher than what is on the label) of the Ooma to have high priority.
I have a WRT320N but I assume the E3000 is the same.
#65093 by mike8712
Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:45 am
murphy wrote:Look for the QOS tab under Applications.
Configure the MAC address of the Internet port (one higher than what is on the label) of the Ooma to have high priority.
I have a WRT320N but I assume the E3000 is the same.

Just edited my post. I see this now under QoS - I chose "voice device" from a dropdown menu and entered Ooma as description, then put the upstream bandwith restriction with the lowest upstream result I've had in awhile and put in the MAC address that is one higher. This should do it, correct?

I notice that after I did that, I ran another speedtest and my upload dropped dramatically, and I guess that explains it. When I leave it as "auto" I was getting 2400 kbps. I have noticed it drop to 1200 from time to time, so I put in 1200 in the QoS area. When I ran the test again, I only got 800 kbps. As a test, I put in 750kbps and once again got less than that in the result after the change. When I go back and removed the QoS restriction it goes back up to 2400 kbps. I put it back at 1200. Just want to make sure I'm doing this correct. I wouldn't want to leave this at "auto" in order to have a higher upload speed???

Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to give the xbox the next highest priority, would I just try to find it's MAC address and do the same thing?