Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65034 by ItsJustLeigh
Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:04 am
Here's my current setup:
* Cable from wall goes to my cable modem
* Ethernet cable from cable modem goes to my Apple Airport Extreme wireless router
* Separate ethernet cable goes from the router to the Telo (home/network port)
* Separate ethernet cable (provided by Telo) goes from router to the Telo (to internet port)
* Phone cable goes from phone to Telo (phone port)

My Ooma Telo base unit is losing connectivity to the internet which causes constant and intermittent loss of service. I have had the Ooma Telo replaced to rule out its defectiveness.

I have upgraded my cable modem to the latest DOCSIS 3.0 technology (Motorola Surboard Extreme). It did not resolve the issue.

Next step is to replace my wireless router. Presently, I have a 3+yr old Apple Airport Extreme wireless router (not dual band). Is there a setting adjustment I can make on my existing Airport Extreme or would a dual band router resolve the issue? If so, which router is best for use with Ooma Telo? Should I upgrade to a new dual band Airport Extreme? What about the Netgear N-Dual Band router?

PLEASE HELP!!
#65037 by tommies
Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:27 am
The dual band wireless router--i.e. wireless b, g, and N--is for the wireless devices which connect to the router (such as laptops, Nintendo DS, Wifi smart phone, etc. The wireless part of the router has nothing to do which the Telo which is connected by wire.

I would download the router User guide and skim through it to see if it support the required feature set that I need, and how good the instruction in the guide.

Back to your problem, what are your setup. I can see you had a new Modem for cable services.

Do you have the Telo in between the modem and router(ie Modem > Telo > router > pc's) or put the Telo behind the router (ie Modem > router > [pc's & Telo0])

Do you change the Telo setup to use its Build-in MAC address?

The problem also could be the cable signal. Take a look in your cable statistic in this URL
http://192.168.100.1
and post the result here, some one more familiar with cable service will tell wether the cable signal is the problem.

Last but not least, old coaxial/network cables sometime cause problem, so you need to make sure the cables and its connectors are good.
#65050 by ItsJustLeigh
Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:37 pm
Thanks for the advice!

The cable signal hasnt been an issue --I tested that with the Ooma Helpless Desk. Nonetheless, I am going to keep the new cable modem because the other one was easily 5yrs old and they dont make things to last nowadays.

I really don't understand what the arrangement of the devices (modem >Telo > router) has to do with anything --seems like a lame excuse for a product not working. However, I did arrange devices accordingly --and so far, so good. (Keep your fingers crossed...)

And to play it safe, I bought a new coaxial cable because I have no idea how old the cable was that I had been using.

Again, thank you for the advice... Let's see what happens over the next several hours!

Leigh :)
#65178 by ItsJustLeigh
Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:25 am
I'm still having disconnect issues... I can sit here at my desk and watch the Telo suddenly start flashing red and then go back to solid blue...

I am having serious doubts about this service. I think it's ludicrous to hear suggestions like: "Try putting the Telo behind your router.." I mean c'mon now.. You mean to tell me that WHERE this device is positioned is going to affect the service? That's like saying: "To resolve your issue with Windows 7, make sure monitor is sitting to the right of your CPU tower..."

It's the year 2010 so having VoIP phone service that works shouldn't require a networking degree from DeVry! NOR should we the customers be banished to an online Support page to get our problems resolved. We SHOULD be able to call customer service --and WITHOUT the aid of an international translator!!-- be able to get our problems solved the FIRST time.

This service sucks!
#65196 by nytowl
Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:06 am
How your system is connected will most certainly effect its working ability. Follow these steps listed in the knowledge base section, and you should have no problems.

Ooma has engineered the Quality of Service (QoS) feature to greatly enhance overall voice quality under congested network conditions. For example, if you are on an Ooma phone call and decide to engage in several network bandwidth intensive tasks (such as a BitTorrent upload, sending a large email attachment, streaming a Slingbox video to a friend), the person on the other end of the phone call may complain about your voice dropping out during a call. With QoS enabled, your voice will sound clear even under congested network conditions.

It is important to install the Ooma Hub or Telo directly behind your Internet modem ("MODEM" or "TO INTERNET" port) and before any devices ("HOME" or "HOME NETWORK" port) that can generate traffic so that ooma can intelligently prioritize voice traffic over other traffic.

By default, Quality of Service is only enabled in the upstream direction, since Internet service providers typically only allocate a small upstream data speed compared to the downstream data speed. For example, a typical DSL connection might have 384 kbps upstream and 3 Mbps downstream. As a result of the reduced bandwidth available, most voice quality issues occur in the upstream direction. This guide will step through configuring QoS in the upstream direction. If desired, a similar procedure can be followed to configure QoS in the downstream direction.
#65210 by highq
Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:47 pm
ItsJustLeigh wrote:I am having serious doubts about this service. I think it's ludicrous to hear suggestions like: "Try putting the Telo behind your router.." I mean c'mon now.. You mean to tell me that WHERE this device is positioned is going to affect the service? That's like saying: "To resolve your issue with Windows 7, make sure monitor is sitting to the right of your CPU tower..."

Pay attention. You are now in school. When discussing electronic components, the adverb "behind" does NOT refer to spatial placement. It relates to the sequential connection of one device to the next, for example supposing a modem as foreground, then considering other devices cascading one behind the other.
#72047 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 am
Try This:

1. Try connecting the Ooma Telo behind (LAN side of) the router, by connecting your network cable to one of the Ethernet router ports, and to the Ooma Telo Internet port. (Modem-Router-Ooma Telo). Plug nothing into the Ooma Telo Home port.
2. Ooma Telo Setup:
a. Temporarily access your Ooma Telo “home” port by plugging in a patch (Network) cable from the Ooma Telo home port to a computer’s network card port. Sometimes you have to restart your computer after installing the patch cable, so that a proper connection occurs.
b. Type http://setup.ooma.com in you browser address window and hit enter. The “Ooma Setup” window opens.
c. In the left hand Navigation window, select “Network”.
d. Under “Network Settings” go to network connection: select the down arrow with your mouse and select “Automatic” (If not already selected).
e. Enter the following:
i. Under “Modem Port MAC Address”, select “Use Built in”:
ii. Select the Update button.
f. Do a “cold boot” of the router.
g. After the router cold boot, do a “cold boot” of the Ooma Telo.

Try it and good luck.