Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#65004 by jokubik
Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:21 pm
My ooma hub has 2 ports on the back: the "phone" and "wall" port. The "wall" port has no dial tone! Is my ooma defective?

I want to hook up the phone port to the phone and the wall port to the wall so my dish network will show the caller id.
I directly hooked up a phone to the wall port and there is no dial tone. Also there is no problem with my wall wiring, when I hook up the "phone" port to the plug on my wall, the house signal is fine and dishnetwork gets the caller id. But there is no dial tone at all on the "wall" port on the back of the ooma hub. Help! :o
Last edited by jokubik on Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#65007 by highq
Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:33 pm
Ooma did a bad job in choosing its port nomenclature.

The Wall port is solely for connecting an incoming landline when you've chosen to integrate landline with Ooma (which most people think is a lousy idea anyhow). It emits nothing.

The phone port is where you get dial tone, and where you receive incoming calls too.
#65008 by southsound
Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:53 pm
The simple solution is a simple one-line splitter - you can get one from the dollar store or if you have the core system (white hub and scout) one may have even come in the package. Connect the PHONE port to both your phone and the house jack. Also remember to disconnect your home from the utility company's wiring by unplugging it at the Network Interface box outside your house.

Welcome to ooma! You're going to like it here. :cool:
#65010 by roadshow
Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:36 pm
southsound wrote:The simple solution is a simple one-line splitter - you can get one from the dollar store or if you have the core system (white hub and scout) one may have even come in the package. Connect the PHONE port to both your phone and the house jack. Also remember to disconnect your home from the utility company's wiring by unplugging it at the Network Interface box outside your house.

Welcome to ooma! You're going to like it here. :cool:

Also, don't be afraid to use the splitter to connect the OOMA Wall and Phone port to your existing house jack. This will allow you to connect the Scout to any phone jack in the house to get your Voice Mail. I have mine set up this way and love it.
#65013 by southsound
Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:32 pm
roadshow wrote:Also, don't be afraid to use the splitter to connect the OOMA Wall and Phone port to your existing house jack. This will allow you to connect the Scout to any phone jack in the house to get your Voice Mail. I have mine set up this way and love it.

Good catch. I wasn't sure if the OP really had a hub or was just calling the Telo a hub as many do. For the OP, the hub is the older white unit. The Telo is the newer black unit. Both are excellent products and have almost "cult" followings. I've had both and although I retired my hub a while back, sometimes I miss the little gem. The original hub was usually packaged with a smaller device called a scout. The scout allowed the second line, instant second line, and made a nifty voicemail station. For the Telo, the scout has been replaced by the Telo handset that offers all the same features except the wired jack for the second voice connection. If you have the hub / scout core package you can also connect up the PHONE and WALL jacks before sending the signal to your home wiring. Then you can either use a scout or phone at any jack in the house. The scout communicates with the hub using a networking protocol called HPNA and does indeed travel from WALL port to WALL port - but only on the white units. Thank you, roadshow, for giving the rest of the story.