**UPDATE***Slowly losing faith in Ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
murphy
Posts: 7240
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:49 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: **UPDATE***Slowly losing faith in Ooma

Post by murphy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:12 am

utlax18 wrote:
murphy wrote:-9 dBmV is low to be coming out of the cable feed.
Mine was -7 and jumped to 0 after they replaced the 25 year old cable from the pole to the house.
It's a hassle but you need a tech to investigate the low signal level.
Called Comcast and they said -11 was within range and as long as I did not ahave an internet or tv issues they did not see a reason to come out. With that said...my splitter is in my office and I split the coax going to my cable modem so I can also make a run to my tv in my office. You mention a bi-directional splitter...are you referring to an active or powered splitter? THe splitter I have is not powered and is a Regal 5-1000 Mhz 2 way splitter.
This is what I am talking about.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103924

I'm not recommending this one, just using it as an example.

If this is what you have

http://www.arrisistore.com/attachments/ ... 2f33634c25

it is a bi-directional splitter with a 25 db return loss.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

n8399
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 am

Re: **UPDATE***Slowly losing faith in Ooma

Post by n8399 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:44 pm

utlax18 wrote:Called Comcast and they said -11 was within range and as long as I did not ahave an internet or tv issues they did not see a reason to come out. With that said...my splitter is in my office and I split the coax going to my cable modem so I can also make a run to my tv in my office. You mention a bi-directional splitter...are you referring to an active or powered splitter? THe splitter I have is not powered and is a Regal 5-1000 Mhz 2 way splitter.
All interior cable(s) should be RG6 quad shielded. Lesser grade cable(s) noticeably degraded my internet and TV performance.
Modem should be connected to splitter 3.5 (out)leg; Regal 2-way splitter has two 3.5 (out)legs.
RG6 source example which has never let me down including 100ft runs http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... p_id=10216

utlax18
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:13 am

Re: **UPDATE***Slowly losing faith in Ooma

Post by utlax18 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:16 am

murphy wrote:
utlax18 wrote:
murphy wrote:-9 dBmV is low to be coming out of the cable feed.
Mine was -7 and jumped to 0 after they replaced the 25 year old cable from the pole to the house.
It's a hassle but you need a tech to investigate the low signal level.
Called Comcast and they said -11 was within range and as long as I did not ahave an internet or tv issues they did not see a reason to come out. With that said...my splitter is in my office and I split the coax going to my cable modem so I can also make a run to my tv in my office. You mention a bi-directional splitter...are you referring to an active or powered splitter? THe splitter I have is not powered and is a Regal 5-1000 Mhz 2 way splitter.
This is what I am talking about.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103924

I'm not recommending this one, just using it as an example.

If this is what you have

http://www.arrisistore.com/attachments/ ... 2f33634c25

it is a bi-directional splitter with a 25 db return loss.

Well...went out last week and purchased an amplifier and now everything is running smooth!! FInally!! Just when I lost all hope. Never was a problem with Ooma but with the signal through our cable line from within the house. Went to 'Shack and got an amplifier and now everything is within parameters. No dropped calls, no weird lights on Ooma..everything is working fine. Thanks to everyone on this forum in helping me out. Took awhile...but we got 'er done! Thanks everyone!

Here is the link to the amplifier I got at Radio Shack...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... e=Category
Last edited by utlax18 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

n8399
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 am

Re: **UPDATE***Slowly losing faith in Ooma

Post by n8399 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:54 pm

utlax18 wrote:Well...went out last week and purchased an amplifier and now everything is running smooth!! FInally!! Just when I lost all hope. Never was a problem with Ooma but with the signal through our cable line from within the house. Went to 'Shack and got an amplifier and now everything is within parameters. No dropped calls, no weird lights on Ooma..everything is working fine. Thanks to everyone on this forum in helping me out. Took awhile...but we got 'er done! Thanks everyone!
Thanks for sharing your cable amplifier solution and positive experience with everyone. Can you please add RS amplifier link for other users? :D

Post Reply