Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64523 by lbmofo
Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:55 pm
I suggest that you call Ooma customer service tomorrow, change your ooma mode to standalone (get a temp number assigned from ooma), forward your comcast phone to ooma's temp number and just use ooma (take comcast out of your setup all together). You run in this mode and see how it works; it should work well. Then you port your number; in this mode, you don't need to do anything with your setup once port is complete either.
#64543 by murphy
Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:53 am
After you select the use built in MAC box, you have to reset the modem. Normally this is a power cycle but you have a voice modem which has a built in battery so you can't turn it off. Look on the back of the modem for a reset button or hole and reset the modem. Modems remember the first MAC address that connects and will ignore all requests from a different MAC address. This is how the cable company prevents you from pulling more than one IP address from them.
#64545 by utlax18
Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:26 am
murphy wrote:After you select the use built in MAC box, you have to reset the modem. Normally this is a power cycle but you have a voice modem which has a built in battery so you can't turn it off. Look on the back of the modem for a reset button or hole and reset the modem. Modems remember the first MAC address that connects and will ignore all requests from a different MAC address. This is how the cable company prevents you from pulling more than one IP address from them.

Thanks murphy...saw it and will try it. If all else fails...just going to try "non landline mode" and try it out.

Many thanks!!
#64549 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:02 am
murphy wrote:Normally this is a power cycle but you have a voice modem which has a built in battery so you can't turn it off. Look on the back of the modem for a reset button or hole and reset the modem. Modems remember the first MAC address that connects and will ignore all requests from a different MAC address. This is how the cable company prevents you from pulling more than one IP address from them.

Great point murphy, when I was setting up for a friend, I pulled the cable modem's battery to power cycle without even thinking about it.
#64556 by utlax18
Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:28 am
lbmofo wrote:
murphy wrote:Normally this is a power cycle but you have a voice modem which has a built in battery so you can't turn it off. Look on the back of the modem for a reset button or hole and reset the modem. Modems remember the first MAC address that connects and will ignore all requests from a different MAC address. This is how the cable company prevents you from pulling more than one IP address from them.

Great point murphy, when I was setting up for a friend, I pulled the cable modem's battery to power cycle without even thinking about it.

lbmofo-

Took your advice and just called CS and switched to stand alone....now it seems to be working MUCH better. No flashing Ooma on the Telo, no dropped calls in or out. I'll run it like this for a week and if no issue, will port over my Comcast Voip #.

Again, thanks everyone from bringing me back off the ledge!
#64572 by utlax18
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:48 am
lbmofo wrote:Great to hear. Hope it works out much better. If other questions, please post here.

Well..spoke too soon. Still having the same issue. Ooma logo flashing blue and pink. Envelope turning "red" even though I did not push it. Calls going straight to voice mail when they call in, sometimes the phone rings once. Tech said to shut it down for 30 minutes and power up again. Something about "provisioning?" I changed to stand alone line and thought that would cure my issues, but I think there has to be some kind of firmware issue or conflict with Comcast internet.
#64574 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:57 am
I am not too familiar with Telos but initial units should wait until the firmware push is complete. Takes a while is what I understand.
#64592 by utlax18
Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:20 pm
lbmofo wrote:I am not too familiar with Telos but initial units should wait until the firmware push is complete. Takes a while is what I understand.

Just an update....

Set Telo behind my router, changed mac address to "Built In", powered up everything and reset my Comcast modem. Worked fine for 5 minutes then...up top its old tricks again. Ooma is sending out a repalcement unit. If this next one doesn't work, then it just wasn't meant to be. Speant about 2 hour with support today. I've reached my limit.
#64593 by lbmofo
Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:27 pm
After you get the replacement, remember to do standalone, and forward your comcast # to the ooma temp number.

On 2nd thought, nevermind, on replacements, you don't activate via the web, you call into CS so you'd still get your same standalone mode and same number assigned.