Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64480 by utlax18
Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:51 am
OK folks...here is my Ooma experience since installing it 2 days ago.

Day 1 - Hooked up with my current Comcast voip modem. Had dialtone, could call out, could call in. Noticed that after calling in on the 2-3 ring it would go to voice mail, but the envelope on my Telo was not red. However, if I set my # of rings to 8 or 9, then it would not pick up on the 2nd ring, but would pick up on the 4-6 ring for voice mail. So, not perfect, but better.

Day 2 - No dialtone whatsover. Powered Ooma off and on, still no dialtone. All lights are blue except the ooma log which would blink blue and "pink". Not red...but pink. Had to switch back to Comcast so we would have service.

Day 3 - This morning, switch everything back. My router says I do not have an internet connect and Ooma blinks blue then RED. So, obviously no internet connection with Ooma. But, when I switch back to Comcast no problems...internet service is fine on my home router.

How I have Ooma set up...

Have Ooma Telo set up between my cable modem and my router.
Since I already have Comcat voip, I have the phone cable from "wall" in the back of Ooma to my wall jack and from the back of my "telophone" jack of my Comcast modem to "phone" on the Telo.
My download speed is 21.46 Mb/s and my upload is 2.41 Mb/s
Using Comcast provided cable modem Arris model TM502GT and Belkin N wireless home router which has 4 wired ethernet ports as well.

I think I have made a big mistake and now that I have started the process of porting my number over I think I am going to get screwed if I return Ooma and lose my phone number.

*****UPDATE*****

After searching various forums, internet, et al I went into set up and changed my modem port mac address to automatic and power cycled all my components modem/router/Ooma in that order and I now have dial-tone. Only question I have is that that the Ooma logo blink blue then "pink"...what does this mean?
#64495 by murphy
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:57 am
utlax18 wrote:Have Ooma Telo set up between my cable modem and my router.
Since I already have Comcat voip, I have the phone cable from "wall" in the back of Ooma to my wall jack and from the back of my "telophone" jack of my Comcast modem to "phone" on the Telo.

That is wrong.
The phone line from the Comcast modem goes to the wall port of the Ooma.
The phone port of the ooma feeds dial tone to your building wall jacks.
#64500 by utlax18
Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:06 pm
murphy wrote:
utlax18 wrote:Have Ooma Telo set up between my cable modem and my router.

That is wrong.
The phone line from the Comcast modem goes to the wall port of the Ooma.
The phone port of the ooma feeds dial tone to your building wall jacks.

Murphy...

Yeah...I did have it set up like you said, but i wrote it down incorrectly. Thanks for the follow-up. Now i have an issue with calls dropping. Just had someone call and call dropped after about 10 seconds. Errrrr...very frustrating.
#64507 by utlax18
Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:53 pm
My Ooma is between my modem and router. When I go and in setup and change to BUILT IN MAC address, Ooma shuts down my routers access to the internet. If I leave it "Automatic", I have access to the internet. So I am at a loss why this thing is not working.
#64508 by murphy
Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:55 pm
utlax18 wrote:My Ooma is between my modem and router. When I go and in setup and change to BUILT IN MAC address, Ooma shuts down my routers access to the internet. If I leave it "Automatic", I have access to the internet. So I am at a loss why this thing is not working.

After you change it to use the built in MAC address you must power cycle the cable modem.
#64509 by utlax18
Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:30 pm
murphy wrote:
utlax18 wrote:My Ooma is between my modem and router. When I go and in setup and change to BUILT IN MAC address, Ooma shuts down my routers access to the internet. If I leave it "Automatic", I have access to the internet. So I am at a loss why this thing is not working.

After you change it to use the built in MAC address you must power cycle the cable modem.

I did..I powered cycled everything. Let me ask you this...my Ooma phone number is the same as my Comcast voip #, is this causing a conflict? (number has not been ported over yet) It asked me at set up if I had a landline. We have the Comcast voip service and it is plugged into the phone jack and thus goes throughout our house. Should I have maybe said no to the "landline setup" when setting up Telo? I am beginning to think there is some type of conflict btween Telo and Comcast with the dropped calls, Ooma logo flashing pink, built in Mac not working, etc.

Many thanks!
#64510 by murphy
Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:32 pm
If you picked land line mode you must connect the Comcast phone line to the Wall port of the Ooma box or the Ooma box will not go online.
Run a phone line from the Comcast box only to the Wall port of the Ooma box.
Run a phone line from the Phone port of the Ooma box to a building wall jack.
Incoming and local outgoing calls will use the Comcast phone service.
Long distance calls will use the Ooma service.

I don't recommend this mode because you don't get a complete test of the Ooma system.

You can call customer support and ask the to change you to the non integrated land line mode if you want.
You will get a new temporary phone number.
There will be no connection between the Comcast phone service and the Ooma phone service.
You could forward the Comcast phone number to the new temporary Ooma phone number and only have your phones connected to the Ooma phone port. All outgoing calls will be via Ooma. If you want to test incoming calls, have some friends call the new temporary number.
#64520 by utlax18
Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:35 pm
murphy wrote:If you picked land line mode you must connect the Comcast phone line to the Wall port of the Ooma box or the Ooma box will not go online.
Run a phone line from the Comcast box only to the Wall port of the Ooma box.
Run a phone line from the Phone port of the Ooma box to a building wall jack.
Incoming and local outgoing calls will use the Comcast phone service.
Long distance calls will use the Ooma service.

I don't recommend this mode because you don't get a complete test of the Ooma system.

You can call customer support and ask the to change you to the non integrated land line mode if you want.
You will get a new temporary phone number.
There will be no connection between the Comcast phone service and the Ooma phone service.
You could forward the Comcast phone number to the new temporary Ooma phone number and only have your phones connected to the Ooma phone port. All outgoing calls will be via Ooma. If you want to test incoming calls, have some friends call the new temporary number.

Murph-

1st..thanks for helping me out...much appreciated!!

Yes, my set up is as described as you stated above... ran a phone line from the Comcast box only to the Wall port of the Ooma box. Ran a phone line from the Phone port of the Ooma box to a building wall jack.

So here it is in a nutshell...

1.Still getting the Ooma logo flashing blue and pink.
2.I tried invoking "Built in MAC", but when I do, the internet drops off of my router and thus makes Ooma (and eveything else) inoperable when trying to connect to the internet
3.I just tried calling my cell phone and the Ooma chime starts up after 2 rings, then I get a busy signal with the Ooma chime mixed in. "Busy signal, ooma chime, busy signal, ooma chime, busy signal ooma chime, etc.
4. I tried calling Ooma from my cell, Ooma rings once and goes straight to voice mail, when I called "envelope" was blue, not it is red

So...do you just suggest I change to a non integrated land line mode then? I am afraid once I have my number ported, I am going to have the same problems and be stuck.

I am beginning to think this is just one big POS that I nevert should have bought for $200.

Thanks again..REALLY do appreciate trying to help me with this.