Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64473 by bigdaddyo811
Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:28 am
I did a search but have come up short.

I have my ooma right now setup between my modem and router. I want it
behind the router as the quality of the router built in is less than optimal.

I tried unplugging it and plugging it into one of my ports on my WNDR3700
netgear router and power cycled everything but it didnt work.

Can someone who is familiar with this post some detailed instructions for others how to do this? I presume something has to be set on the ooma box to allow this.

Thanks in advance from a newbie

BDO
#64475 by pinan
Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:47 am
You shouldn't have to do anything special in either device for this to work. Power down your modem and router, plug in your Ooma, then power up the modem, then router, then ooma. That should do it. Give it a minute to go blue on you. :)

I should mention that the Ooma must be plugged into the router using the Ooma's *Modem* port.
#64476 by murphy
Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:49 am
Nothing special is required to make it work.
If you haven't already done it, log into the setup page in the ooma and configure it to use the built in MAC address.

If your router has a SIP filter you may have to disable it.

I have always run mine this way since the ooma doesn't support a gigabit network speed.
#64485 by WayneDsr
Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:51 am
On the simple side of things, make sure you are using a known good cat 5 cable. The one that comes with ooma is not necsessarily a good cable, make sure you are using a tested one. Make sure you're plugging into the MODEM port of the ooma device.

Try a different port in the router.

Connect a laptop or pc to the HOME port of the ooma device go to http://setup.ooma.com and make sure it has received an ip from your router.
That will be shown on the STATUS page in the setup.

Wayne
#64511 by WayneDsr
Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:35 pm
NOTE:
Issue fixed via PM.

Wayne
#64512 by bigdaddyo811
Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:38 pm
For those in the future that may be trying to do this.

1. You have to ensure that your OOMA is on the right router setting.
2. To get into your ooma, off a laptop, you must set the network settings to the DHCP or automatic so that it can communicate on the 172.35.x.x system . (I had my laptop on the 192.168.x.x system).
3. Once in the setup, you need to turn DHCP off and enter the address of your router you are hooking the ooma up to .

Thanks for all the help.

Now next question: anyone know how to setup the QoS to get better service off the OOMA?
#64515 by pinan
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:04 pm
bigdaddyo811 wrote:For those in the future that may be trying to do this.

1. You have to ensure that your OOMA is on the right router setting.

This is not true for the majority of users, and new people could find this confusing. Your setup dictated you do this, Most won't need to. Automatic (default) is fine.

If your Ooma is behind your router simply set the Ooma"s Upstream to 0 (zero). This will turn off QOS in the Ooma. Use your router's QOS instead. In your router, upstream QOS should be set to about 80% of your bandwidth. Download QOS does not matter. Unless you notice voice degradation while surfing, etc. this does not need to be set at all.
#64516 by bigdaddyo811
Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:25 pm
Agreed. Automatic will work fine. For some reason, my OOMA was set on a hardcoded router setting out of the box. I hadnt touched anything, but it was setup to sit between the modem and the router so worked fine.

This one little change made my new setup work fine.
#64521 by Nat Ray
Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:44 pm
bigdaddyo811 wrote:Now next question: anyone know how to setup the QoS to get better service off the OOMA?

Read the WNDR3700's User Manual, page 6-10 (QoS for a Router LAN port) . . .

Best regards,
Nat Ray :cool: