Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64635 by nshah6
Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:36 am
No comments ? I have already downloaded the DNS application mentioned on previous page.

I am not sure what to do with it ?

I am really hopeful - someone share insight abt customizing DNS.

I do see several option on "setup.ooma.com" under Network tab.
1. Automatic
2. PPoE
3. DHCP (or something like that)
4. Static IP Address.

I am really looking into resolving this.
#64640 by murphy
Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:02 am
You do NOT want any DNS special configurations.
Configure Ooma to use DHCP and to use it's built in MAC address.
Once that is done turn everything off.
Connect the cable modem to the Internet/Modem port of Ooma.
Connect the Ooma Home port to your laptop.
Turn on the cable modem and wait for sync with your ISP.
Turn on Ooma and wait until all lights are blue(Telo) or all lights except the tab are out (HUB).
Turn on the laptop.
Make certain that if your laptop has built in wireless, it is turned off.
Your laptop must be configured to get it's IP address via DHCP. That's the default unless you changed it.
If you are running Norton or McAfee software you need to configure the firewall to allow the new network.
#64688 by jhphone
Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:14 pm
nshah6 wrote:No comments ? I have already downloaded the DNS application mentioned on previous page.

I am not sure what to do with it ?

I am really hopeful - someone share insight abt customizing DNS.

I do see several option on "setup.ooma.com" under Network tab.
1. Automatic
2. PPoE
3. DHCP (or something like that)
4. Static IP Address.

I am really looking into resolving this.

Sorry for the misdirection. As murphy said above, you don't want to make any DNS changes to your Ooma (if I understand correctly). In any event follow his advice.

I was referring to the fact that I have set up DNS server addresses on my laptop rather than use the Windows Obtain DNS server addresses automatically default setting. So when I typed setup.ooma.com, I get a Server not found message. Therefore I had to use the 172.27.35.1 Ooma IP address to get to Ooma's Setup page. If this doesn't make sense, please don't worry. It's just what happens when you fiddle with default settings!

The DNS app I mentioned is only useful if you chose to not accept the defaults on your PC/laptop and want to discover a fast DNS server local to you. It's not suitable for the Ooma and I didn't intend that it should be used that way. I was merely explaining why my laptop couldn't reach setup.ooma.com. Apologies again for the confusion.
#65084 by nshah6
Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:58 am
Hello Again.

Thank you all for your time and efforts for helping me.

Mr. jhphone, no need to worry . I am glad I learn something new here.

Mr. Murhpy, What you suggested above did work but only for 15-20 minutes. After that my internet simply die although my OOMA work just fine. As matter of fact, I have power recycle my modem, ooma and laptop several times with your notes in mind . It seems like after 15 minutes, my OOMA internet port stop working (although I do see both the lights orange & green on the port). I had ping the IP Address and DHCP configuration and it lost all the data packets. I tried to renew connection (ipconfig / renew) and the message I get is "DHCP Server is not responding" (something like that).

I further venture out in different forum to see if someone had issues like me and I found someone who had comcast internet service ran into same problem as well.

Suggestion was to use something call DMZ and put in OOMA's ip address 172.27.35.1 ... I tried that it didn't work.

Please note, My internet work just fine. I can hard-wire my connection from Modem -> laptop and it works fine.

Not sure what to do ? I am open to any more ideas

Funny thing is I set up Old OOMA to my sisters place 2 years back . DSL - OOMA - Router ! and its still working fine.

I am wondering should I switch back to OLD OOMA System ?

Again, Thanks a bunch for helping me out.

It didn't work.
#65105 by jhphone
Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:41 am
Mr. Murhpy, What you suggested above did work but only for 15-20 minutes. After that my internet simply die although my OOMA work just fine. As matter of fact, I have power recycle my modem, ooma and laptop several times with your notes in mind . It seems like after 15 minutes, my OOMA internet port stop working (although I do see both the lights orange & green on the port). I had ping the IP Address and DHCP configuration and it lost all the data packets. I tried to renew connection (ipconfig / renew) and the message I get is "DHCP Server is not responding" (something like that).

Hmmm....

Moments ago I went to my laptop to use the Internet today: nada. No connection. Again.

The Ooma is between my modem and router. I could browse the router, but not Ooma or the Surfboard modem. The Ooma phone works OK which implies both it and the modem are fine. Seemed to be a problem between the Ooma and the router, so I went upstairs to check the LAN cable: it appeared firmly connected and hadn't been touched in many days.

I power-cycled the router (unplug/plug) which fixed the problem.

I've had this mysterious router-not-connected problem a half dozen times since recently getting the Ooma (but never in the previous few years). I thought it was a LAN cable problem and replaced both cables with new ones a few weeks ago.

It seems that there's some kind of time-out related problem, since there's no physical activity that could "jiggle" any connection. I wonder if there's a router or Ooma setting ("lease"?) that needs to be changed? The Ooma seems to break its connection to the router after some days.

This may be similar to what nshah6 is experiencing. But I don't know enough about the Ooma and Belkin router settings to diagnose or fix it.

Note: I should add that Comcast often drops Internet service late at night for a few minutes (they are installing HDTV service locally). I notice this disconnect when watching Netflix on the Roku and simply wait it out. This has been happening a few times a week for the last few months. But the modem comes to life by itself and the Ooma phone service resumes, as does the router. So I don't think the Comcast drop-outs are causing the Ooma to "ignore" the router. (As they happen at different times and don't need a manual power cycle.)

In short, the Ooma maintains phone service indefinitely. But the router loses its Internet connection after about 3-4 days requiring a power cycle.
#65258 by nshah6
Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:31 am
I guess without any more suggestion on this page, I am thinking of trying following:

1. I will buy router and see if Modem -> Router -> OOMA set up works.
I will keep DHCP as my set up in OOMA and built in MAC address.

2. I will visit other forums to see if I can find any viable solution

If above doesn't work, I will have to simply return OOMA. I can't pay for internet service that just work my phone and not my computer.

But I am hopeful.
#65593 by nshah6
Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:44 pm
All right folks, I have bought brand new NetGear Router (3500L).

My confguration is Modem (zoom) -> OOMA (Telo) -> Router (Netgear).

and my router doesn't pick up any internet connection ! MY ooma is still working fine.

Can you please provide me some guidance ? should I use some Advance features (which I am not sure how to set up) - such as PPOE or Static IP on OOMA , so that router works fine ?

Please help - I know you guys may have seen this problem - you may just post the thread with solution.

I appreciate your help.