Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64341 by nshah6
Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:56 am
Very interesting problem I am having.

I have Zoom Cable Modem which has one Ethernet port. I have no router. My current Download speed is 12 Mbps and Upload is 3 Mbps.

I have wired my Cable modem to OOMA telo. and tried to connect the "home network" port to my laptop directly.

My Ooma is working just fine. clear quality and perfect set up. but my internet is not working at all.

I reset my modem and reboot my laptop twice. I checked with my internet provider and performed all the diagnostic and internet is working fine if I am connected to the modem directly to my laptop .

its only when I am using OOMA to connect to internet, my internet completely whacks out.

I really appreciate the help.
#64344 by murphy
Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:34 am
When you change what is connected to your cable modem are you turning it off?
That is required to make it forget the MAC address of the last device that was connected to it.
#64348 by nshah6
Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:11 am
Yes ,
for e.g. If I have Internet connected directly from Modem and want to check if its working via OOMA, I do followings:
1. remove the Ethernet cable from my laptop connected to my modem.
2. shut down my laptop and restart after few minutes.
3. Power off my modem and restart after few minutes.
4. I switch on power on my modem first. make sure all the lights are green. (which works fine)
5. Connect the Modem to OOMA, check whether OOMA is working. (which works fine)
6. Switch on the laptop and connect Ethernet cable from OOMA to my laptop. (Where internet connection fails)

Please note, my modem is also registered with my Internet service provider and it supports DOCSIS 3.0

One thing I noticed is when I am connected to my modem, I am getting different IP Addres than when I connect to internet via OOMA.

I appreciate your time and advice ....cheers
#64353 by murphy
Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:38 am
nshah6 wrote:Yes ,
for e.g. If I have Internet connected directly from Modem and want to check if its working via OOMA, I do followings:
1. remove the Ethernet cable from my laptop connected to my modem.
2. shut down my laptop and restart after few minutes.
3. Power off my modem and restart after few minutes.
4. I switch on power on my modem first. make sure all the lights are green. (which works fine)
5. Connect the Modem to OOMA, check whether OOMA is working. (which works fine)
6. Switch on the laptop and connect Ethernet cable from OOMA to my laptop. (Where internet connection fails)

Please note, my modem is also registered with my Internet service provider and it supports DOCSIS 3.0

One thing I noticed is when I am connected to my modem, I am getting different IP Addres than when I connect to internet via OOMA.
I appreciate your time and advice ....cheers

The IP address is determined by the MAC address of the device that is connected to the cable modem so getting different IP addresses is normal.

Connect to the configuration page in the Ooma

http://setup.ooma.com

Go to the Network page, click the radio button to use the built in MAC address, and then click update.
Once you have done this power cycle everything.

If your laptop has built in WiFi make sure that it is turned off.
#64357 by nshah6
Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:21 am
Just to clarify , I will connect setup.ooma.com when I have
1) modem - ooma - laptop configuration setup or
2) modem - laptop ?

I am not sure if I can even able to open the setup page using configuration (1)

But I will give it try in the evening and post something by tomorrow AM
#64363 by murphy
Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:46 am
nshah6 wrote:Just to clarify , I will connect setup.ooma.com when I have
1) modem - ooma - laptop configuration setup or
2) modem - laptop ?

I am not sure if I can even able to open the setup page using configuration (1)

But I will give it try in the evening and post something by tomorrow AM

Configuration 1. The web page is inside of the Ooma box.
#64455 by jhphone
Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:55 pm
Connect to the configuration page in the Ooma

http://setup.ooma.com

Go to the Network page, click the ...

nshah6 wrote:well that option didn't work.

any other suggestion Murphy ?

http://setup.ooma.com doesn't work for me either. I get a Server not found error from Firefox. My setup is Modem -- Ooma Telo -- Router -- PC.

Instead, I have to use http://172.27.35.1/
This is the default IP address of the Ooma Telo. Give it a try.

BTW, I don't understand how it's possible that setup.ooma.com could be resolved to 172.27.35.1. It is possible that a router setting is interfering?
#64462 by murphy
Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:57 am
It will not work if you use OpenDNS or any other DNS helper. Comcast has one that is enabled by default. It depends on the DNS lookup failing which will never happen if there is a DNS helper involved.
#64536 by jhphone
Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:22 pm
murphy wrote:It will not work if you use OpenDNS or any other DNS helper. Comcast has one that is enabled by default. It depends on the DNS lookup failing which will never happen if there is a DNS helper involved.

Yep. That's what's happening.

I ran the Domain Name Speed Benchmark to obtain the best performing DNS servers, which I use. Download it from Steve Gibson's site http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Thanks for explaining what otherwise looked like Harry Potter magic.