Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#64334 by murphy
Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:01 am
Run a phone wire directly from the phone port of the Telo to the input of the security system.
The output of the security system feeds dial tone to the rest of the house.
Do not also connect a phone to the phone port of the Telo as this could prevent the security system from capturing the line to make a call.
#64337 by Chazac
Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:16 am
Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure how I am going to run a phone cable all that way. (I'm not to handy)....and I would like to use my Panasonic wireless phones with the Telos.. I guess I could buy more Ooma handhelds, but I wanted to save the money...
#64339 by murphy
Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:52 am
You can use the Panasonic phone. It must be connected after the phone line comes out of the security system.
The requirement for a security system is that it must be able to capture the line at any time no matter what else is happening.
The only way it can do that is if it is the first device on the phone line.

You might want to consider what I did. I have a standard Verizon phone line. It is their cheapest service. It's called a budget service. It has no regional or long distance calling capability. All local calls are measured. The alarm system calls an 800 number which does not require long distance service since the called party pays for the call. The line is only for the alarm system. A call to it does not ring on any phone. An answering machine tells the caller that they have reached an outbound data line that will never be answered. I can easily use it to call 911 if necessary. It is not connected to my Telo system at all.
#64343 by Chazac
Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:26 am
Thanks Murphy.

I think that is what I will do. When I "fired" my phone company after installing the Telos, they offered that, but I said no.

Ooops, Live and learn.

Thanks for your advice
#64359 by Electron Mover
Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 am
Another solution is to have your security company install a cellular interface instead of a phone line. That is what I did because there were several burglaries where the phone line was cut at the "box" out on the highway before you come into my neighborhood. It costs about the same as basic phone service but according to our alarm company is much more secure.
#64365 by stevepierce
Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:51 am
I went a different route. I bought an HAI C3 GSM dialer to connect to my alarm system.
http://ypsine.ws/9HfgDo

I then got a prepaid GSM from T-mobile. That costs me $10 every 3 months for 30 minutes. Works out to less than $3.50 a month for phone service.

Then plugged my alarm into the C3. Called the alarm company with my updated GSM number.

Then had them test the dialer and it worked fine.

I have used this with Broadview and ADT as well as several local providers.

Do not plug the Ooma into the C3 if you have an alarm. As tempting as it may be, it doesn't work and your alarm will not dial out. This works well with any other phone service except Ooma. The Ooma dial tone does not provide the correct signaling to allow for most alarm panels to recognize that the line is off hook.

Now if you don't have an alarm, the C3 can still act as a great backup phone system and in this case, plugging the Ooma in is perfect. When you lift up the phone, the C3 will default to the Ooma. However if the Ooma service is down or your Internet connection is down, your phone service auto switches to use the GSM.

- Steve
#64375 by DTMF
Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:08 pm
My security system provider was unable to connect to their monitoring center via the Ooma network. Their technician installed an Internet interface on my system that makes my system think it's making a telephone call, but it's actually connecting to the monitoring center via the Internet. That cigar-box sized add-on cost me $99. This way the system is happy and I don't have to pay for it to have a phone line. :cool:
#64491 by stevepierce
Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:37 am
DTMF wrote:My security system provider was unable to connect to their monitoring center via the Ooma network. Their technician installed an Internet interface on my system that makes my system think it's making a telephone call, but it's actually connecting to the monitoring center via the Internet. That cigar-box sized add-on cost me $99. This way the system is happy and I don't have to pay for it to have a phone line. :cool:

Who makes this box, what Alarm company are you using, and what company makes your alarm panel?

- Steve
#64666 by bmccollum
Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:42 pm
I called our alarm monitoring company of 12+ years and told them I was doing away with our traditional land line and asked them what the options were for continuing to monitor our alarm system via cellular or some other technology.

They initially said that they could come install a cellular monitoring device to connect to the alarm panel for $325 for the equipment costs. I told them no way and that we'd cancel their monitoring service if we had to pay any equipment costs or if our monthly monitoring fees went up.

Pretty quickly, the representative came back on the line and stated that she'd received authorization to give us the cellular device to connect to our alarm panel for free, no cost for installing the device, and no increase in our monthly monitoring fees.

Play hard ball with them... you never know what you'll get. Good luck!