Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63978 by srgilbert
Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:43 am
Really appreciate the help. I've looked however I have not found a matching question.

I now have AT&T dry dsl service and my hub is working fine powering a wireless 4 set DECT 6.0 system. I sure would like to get the balance of the house outlets working without putting in 4 scouts.

I went to the Network Interface box and have the following picture which shows that only 1 line via the modular jack is connected. I removed the other line. I wanted to take a picture of the telco side of the box but couldn't figure out how to open it - must be a special tool.

In any event my 2 wire router is connected directly to the wall jack and then next comes the hub. I would like to use the same jack to deliver dial tone through the balance of the house using the existing corded phones. There are 4 wires going into each jack and I believe only 2 are being used.

Can someone guide me to the best path to solve this? I have access to the termination point of all the jacks and where the lines come in in my basement.

Thanks - really appreciate the advice.
Attachments
P1050198.JPG
P1050198.JPG (99.34 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
#63989 by southsound
Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:21 pm
srgilbert wrote:Really appreciate the help. I've looked however I have not found a matching question.

I now have AT&T dry dsl service and my hub is working fine powering a wireless 4 set DECT 6.0 system. I sure would like to get the balance of the house outlets working without putting in 4 scouts.
Should be an easy task and we can help you get it working.

I went to the Network Interface box and have the following picture which shows that only 1 line via the modular jack is connected. I removed the other line.
Is the picture before or after removing "the other line"? What I see looking at the picture is that your DSL uses line 2 of the cable connected to the NIB. You will probably need to reconnect some portion of the cable you disconnected - but leave the little plug unplugged as it is in your picture

I wanted to take a picture of the telco side of the box but couldn't figure out how to open it - must be a special tool.
It uses a security screw and should NOT be accessed by the customer. Also, there is no need to do so.

In any event my 2 wire router is connected directly to the wall jack and then next comes the hub. I would like to use the same jack to deliver dial tone through the balance of the house using the existing corded phones. There are 4 wires going into each jack and I believe only 2 are being used.
Do a little investigating - what colors are connected at the jacks - I'm going to guess that in the one where your modem plugs in, the black and yellow wires are going to the red and green screws. That means the telco did a great job of isolating your DSL from the other jacks. What colors were on the wires you disconnected? red/green and black/red or blue/white, orange/white, and green/white? What colors are connected to the phone jacks in the house? If they have screws, tell us the color wires that go to the red/green screws.

Can someone guide me to the best path to solve this? I have access to the termination point of all the jacks and where the lines come in in my basement.

#63997 by srgilbert
Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:52 pm
southsound wrote:
srgilbert wrote:Really appreciate the help. I've looked however I have not found a matching question.

Should be an easy task and we can help you get it working.

I went to the Network Interface box and have the following picture which shows that only 1 line via the modular jack is connected. I removed the other line.
Is the picture before or after removing "the other line"? What I see looking at the picture is that your DSL uses line 2 of the cable connected to the NIB. You will probably need to reconnect some portion of the cable you disconnected - but leave the little plug unplugged as it is in your picture

I wanted to take a picture of the telco side of the box but couldn't figure out how to open it - must be a special tool.
It uses a security screw and should NOT be accessed by the customer. Also, there is no need to do so.

Do a little investigating - what colors are connected at the jacks - I'm going to guess that in the one where your modem plugs in, the black and yellow wires are going to the red and green screws. That means the telco did a great job of isolating your DSL from the other jacks. What colors were on the wires you disconnected? red/green and black/red or blue/white, orange/white, and green/white? What colors are connected to the phone jacks in the house? If they have screws, tell us the color wires that go to the red/green screws.

Well this may not be easy - I wired up all the jacks in the house and all 4 wires are connected. I used a continuity tester and the colors are correct - yellow to yellow, black to black green to green and red to red. What should I do next? FYI the jack that is connected in the NIB ties to the black and yellow wires.

#64014 by southsound
Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:59 pm
I am going to assume that you reconnected the red wires to the red wires and the green ones to the green ones in the NIB. Also, disconnect the black and yellow wires that you had previously disconnected. They serve no purpose since you are only using the black and yellow for the DSL modem.

If you have another jack in the room with the ooma device, try connecting a cord from the PHONE port of the ooma to the wall jack - then see if you have dialtone in the other areas. If it works you can either leave it as is or change out the wall jack where the DSL modem is - one jack will have the yellow and black wires on the red and gree screws - this will be for the DSL modem. The other jack will go to the red and green and will be used for the PHONE connection on the ooma device. Any and all jacks in the house should work now. Also, if you have a scout, you can use the splitter that came with the ooma to connect up the PHONE and WALL jacks on the ooma to the jack with the red and green wires. Then you can use either a regular phone or the scout at any outlet (except for the one used by the DSL modem). The scout makes a neat voicemail checking device even if you don't have a phone plugged into the scout.
#64019 by southsound
Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:56 pm
No, you said you disconnected some wires in the NIB - if I misunderstood then don't worry about it. I saw two cables in your NIB - If there are two, only the red and green wires need to be connected. You can use the screws if you like. Do not reconnect the modular plug.
#64022 by srgilbert
Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:19 pm
Sometimes I just hate email... I have two modular plugs in the NIB one which ties into the red and green and one that is black and yellow. I disconnected the modular plug feeding the red and green since I was not using them. Omma and DSL are working fine. SO at this point you are suggesting just plugging a phone cable from the OOMA WALL to another phone jack? I can give that a try.
#64027 by southsound
Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:20 pm
No, the cord would initially go from the hub PHONE jack to the wall. Phones would connect up to other wall jacks. If you have a scout and wish to use it, then you can combine the ooma hub's WALL and PHONE jacks using a splitter and send that signal over the house wiring. I've emailed you my personal phone number since we're not getting too far with email.
#64131 by southsound
Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:28 pm
I'm glad that it is working as we hoped! Now on to the important thing I forgot to say...

Welcome to ooma and to the forum! You're going to like it here. :cool: