Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#63906 by suttung
Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:03 am
While I am testing and trying out my Ooma system, I want to also keep and USE my old bellsouth number... after a month, if I like the Ooma, I will port over my old bellsouth number... if I do not like the Ooma, I'll just return it to Amazon and use my old bellsouth number...

In the mean time while I am testing the Ooma, I want to be able to receive my calls from BOTH my bellsouth number and my Ooma number... how do I need to set this up?

Thanks!

Rob
#63907 by murphy
Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:11 am
Keep them as completely separate phone systems.
Leave your land line configured the same as it was before you purchased Ooma.
Connect another phone to the phone port of Ooma. The wall port of Ooma is unused.
#63909 by roadshow
Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:56 am
Or, just forward your Bellsouth number to OOMA until you decide.
#63918 by suttung
Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:04 pm
hmmm... seems like Ooma would set up something that recognizes this... I'm sure I'm not the only new customer that would like the simplicity of answering their regular/old number during their test run of ooma...

btw, there seems to be a lag, almost like they're talking on a cell phone and a little longer than normal pause in replying... any tips for reducing the lag in response time?
#63926 by jhphone
Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:04 pm
btw, there seems to be a lag, almost like they're talking on a cell phone and a little longer than normal pause in replying... any tips for reducing the lag in response time?

Yep. The lag is also called voice delay, and it's a problem for a lot of us.

I think you are wise to wait a month or so before porting your number to Ooma. Doing so is a bit of burning the bridge behind you (it's expensive to un-port).

I got my Ooma last month and started the port process immediately, which took 10 days to complete. Now every call, even to a neighbor, has this awful voice delay problem. And calls seems to be like a half-duplex transmission: when I talk I cannot hear their voice. Is this 1910?

I have the Ooma between the Comcast modem and my router, as suggested. I'm in the same area code (650) as Ooma, so I don't think I'm a huge distance from their servers. I've checked the whichvoip site many times and always get numbers like what's below.

I believe cell phones use the Internet and they don't have this delay issue. So it's clearly an Ooma problem. I really hope they fix it.

I'm disappointed. :(

From http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 13757784 bps
Upload speed: 2392000 bps
Download quality of service: 96 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 42 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 25 ms
Average round trip time to server: 26 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 20000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.4537225
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 20971200bps
#64024 by Dragnet
Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:37 pm
I can't help...I too have been experiencing Voice Delay, expecially with cell phones, in the last 2 months. I see that many more people are expericing this. Very frustarting that OOMA does not fix. I used to be a promoter of this great device. But now (if the problem is not fixed soon), will dicourage anyone from buying OOMA devices.
#64025 by suttung
Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:48 pm
so far, that would be my only dissatisfaction... well that and the customer service e-mails... its a waste of time to try e-mailing them... all in all I'm pretty satisfied with it... so barring any unforseen changes, I'll prob stay with Ooma
#64071 by jhphone
Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:37 pm
suttung wrote:so far, that [voice delay] would be my only dissatisfaction... well that and the customer service e-mails... its a waste of time to try e-mailing them... all in all I'm pretty satisfied with it... so barring any unforeseen changes, I'll prob stay with Ooma

As you mentioned earlier, I agree that you don't port for a while. Use the Ooma for outgoing calls and have some callers use the Ooma number so you can get plenty experience to evaluate voice delay.

If it remains too bad for prime time, don't port.

At this point, I regret getting the Ooma and porting my number. I hope Ooma can fix it.